Headlights dim utilizing windows - Jeep Renegade Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rsanges

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Headlights dim utilizing windows

Just curious if this is normal but headlights and the light on the dash seem to dim when i roll the windows up at night. Curious if this is normal ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:50 PM

First Name: Delphine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxakin View Post
Just curious if this is normal but headlights and the light on the dash seem to dim when i roll the windows up at night. Curious if this is normal ?
This happens to me too. If the windows are up, and I pull up on the switches to make sure everything's closed, they dim too. I also noticed that they dim a little when turning the wheel quickly when moving slow, like in a parking lot.

Current Garage:
2018 Land Rover Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic P380 SE
2017 Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 EcoBoost 4WD
2016 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk 4x4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Garage
Here's my theory: the Renegade was designed and built to meet a certain price point. They put in the lowest power alternator they could and geared it with pulleys to make it run as slowly as they could get away with to help fuel efficiency.

So when you are stopped or moving slowly the engine and alternator are also rotating slowly. An alternator's available output power varies in relation to the speed it is rotating. Slow speed = less available electrical power.

The power steering on our Renegades uses an electric motor, and of course, so do the power windows. More electrical loads+slow engine speed = dimming lights.
CRZY4x4 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Ah okay. I was worried about the alternator going bad. It rained heavy today and i had my air condition on to medium and upon acceleration, there was a humming noise. I assume its because i was drawing alot of power as well at night. Kind if regret a bit having such an unreliable car at times
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Is the humming from accelerating while driving at night at slow speeds (20) during a rainstorm seem normal? Went away after a bit
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:37 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsanges View Post
Here's my theory: the Renegade was designed and built to meet a certain price point. They put in the lowest power alternator they could and geared it with pulleys to make it run as slowly as they could get away with to help fuel efficiency.

So when you are stopped or moving slowly the engine and alternator are also rotating slowly. An alternator's available output power varies in relation to the speed it is rotating. Slow speed = less available electrical power.

The power steering on our Renegades uses an electric motor, and of course, so do the power windows. More electrical loads+slow engine speed = dimming lights.
I'm not too sure about this. Most alternators are regulated, putting out the same voltage at 2,000 rpm or 20,000 rpm. It's not like at 80 mph it's putting out 14 vdc (made up value) and at 30 it's putting out 10 vdc (also made up value) or something. Modern vehicle computer systems can't handle bouncing voltages. Vehicles travelling consistently at high speed would cook the computers/electrics and those at low speed would have constantly dim lights and dead batteries.

The dimming is due to load on the system, not the spinning speed of the alternator.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:21 PM

Garage
As I understand it the voltage is regulated but the current (and therefore power) available is related to speed.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:24 PM

Garage
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

So i guess the renegade load isnt much then ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page