7Likes

post #61 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 04:39 PM

First Name: Mike
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
But as I said, first disconnect, check and clean the door loom connector with contact cleaner.
Yes. The voltage/current involved with these sensors is tiny and even a slightly poor connection can have a dramatic effect.

Previously: 2017, 1.4 petrol, 6 speed auto, FWD, Limited, Omaha Orange ...

Now gone electric.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
@Nev I'm looking up Fiat and Alfa forums, but just finding the same issue, not how to replace. See lots of issues at dealerships and possible lemon law. @JeepCares

I checked the wiring connections at the door jam and the mirror (behind the door panel). They look clean and I plug/unplugged them a few times to clean up the connects, nothing. I look at the connectors with a bright light and I can't see any corrosion. Everything is shiny.

I went to Autozone to get a sensor and the guy/computer said that the entire mirror needs to be replaced. Went to the dealership, was told the same thing and laughed at the price.

Cheapest thing I can find so far is this. Mirror with sensor link

Taking the mirror apart, I'm starting to think that the entire mirror will need to be replaced. It's part of the loom for the entire mirror. It be easy enough to replace. My thoughts at the moment is that water and other crud got under the potting and corroded the sensor. Potting is great for keeping humidity away, but the mirror is not that well sealed and there is a lot road junk on the inside of the mirror housing where the sensor is located.

post #63 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 04:52 PM

Here is someone replacing the outside temp sensor on Ford Focus? The entire mirror housing is swapped out. This is making me believe more that the entire Jeep mirror needs to be replaced.

Google search of part
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...30.BNDp0FGzHK0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeindp View Post
Yes. The voltage/current involved with these sensors is tiny and even a slightly poor connection can have a dramatic effect.
I plugged and and unplugged several times. Nothing. Does anyone have anything else to recommend? Can I spray something into the connects?

I could read the resistance across the connector at work tomorrow. Does anyone know what the value should be for a new one?

I though about cutting the senors and crossing the wires. Would that do anything? Other than ruin the loom.
post #65 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 02:36 AM
Nev

First Name: Nev
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Use contact cleaner.

Any 20 or 10Kohm (?) thermistor would probably work. ( Measure the old one?)

2.0 MJet Dirty DERV 140BHP AWD
75th Anniversary Alpine White

Last edited by Nev; 12-28-2018 at 02:39 AM.
post #66 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 02:40 AM
Nev

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...or-sorted.html

post #67 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 08:54 AM

Unfortunately, the solve on that thread is contact the guy and hope he mails out the part to you. If there are any left. He didn't provide a link or part number for what he bought.

I have a mirror on order that will get here snail mail on the 8th. Plug it in and see if it works. If it does, I'll tinker with the old one to see if I can get it working. If the old one works after tinkering, return the new one.

Nev, I was thinking a small resistor to replace the sensor also. I'll try that when I get the new mirror.
post #68 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
There are dozens of thermistors out there; 10k Type II/Type III, PT100, Balco, Platinum, etc.... In order for your repair to read correctly, you need the right resistance. ANY thermistor will read, but the scaling will be wrong so the values will be wrong. Also, for thermistors there is typically an offset in the computer for calibration. If you want your new sensor to read the exact temperature, that offset needs to be adjusted.

You can rest assured Fiat/Jeep won't release that information.

Additionally, will using a "non-approved" thermistor cause the canbus to go batcrap crazy ? We've all seen/read/experienced what happens with the canbus when you replace speakers/radios, etc..

The higher the technology gets in these vehicles, the less the owner can do in his driveway.

Unfortunately, the only fail-safe repair is to order the costly mirror assembly from the dealer. They got us. Then hope that your sensor reads what you want it to read.
post #69 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 10:32 AM

Possible lead on thermistors.

Found the same thermistor on Amazon here in the states, just a little long on the lead time and you only get one.
https://www.amazon.com/VISHAY-COMPON...TCLE305E4103SB

Found these for quicker delivery.
https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-a14092...10k+thermistor

Following this thread that @Nev pointed also. Getting help over there also.
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...l#post17372707
post #70 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 12:28 PM
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Pie View Post

Additionally, will using a "non-approved" thermistor cause the canbus to go batcrap crazy ? We've all seen/read/experienced what happens with the canbus when you replace speakers/radios, etc..

The thermistor will be connected to the door controller module. Not the CANBus.

If you guys wanna drop $300 on a $10 repair, knock yourselves out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page