Outside Temperature Sensor - Page 8 - Jeep Renegade Forum
 7Likes

post #71 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Going to give this a try. $0.21 each. If it doesn't work, then I'll order something else. The tolerance is larger and the Beta is a little higher. But my goal. No check engine light, working A/C, working 4WD. Hopefully @JeepCares gets back to me soon too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 01:49 PM
Nev

First Name: Nev
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Check engine and 4WD will not be down to the temperature sensor.

Check all your earth straps.

And fusebox connectors. Especially those on the interior one.

Here's an example of an FCA spec Thermistor mounted and ready to install:

http://ricambi.alfisti.net/product_i...ducts_id=10330

More pricey than just the actual thermistor, but heigh-ho.

2.0 MJet Dirty DERV 140BHP AWD
75th Anniversary Alpine White

Last edited by Nev; 12-28-2018 at 01:52 PM.
post #73 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post

Here's an example of an FCA spec Thermistor mounted and ready to install:

http://ricambi.alfisti.net/product_i...ducts_id=10330

More pricey than just the actual thermistor, but heigh-ho.
Dude, that's the same sensor that is in the Jeep mirror. Just have to fish the wires through and that should it. Still a better price than the $300 mirror.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 08:06 PM

Cut the sensor off and quickly twisted the wire onto these themistors below. And......

IT [email protected]#KING works! Tomorrow I'll finish the job and post the results. I'll detail as much as I can to help others if this all pans out as I'm thinking it will

Posting images is not working for me at the moment, so this what I can for now.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dq4k5vQnzDtUFAzf7

Last edited by bonesky; 12-28-2018 at 08:11 PM.
post #75 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
The thermistor will be connected to the door controller module. Not the CANBus.

If you guys wanna drop $300 on a $10 repair, knock yourselves out.
True, the sensor termination is. But since the OAT sensor is used for controlling the HVAC system and apparently the 4WD system, it's "talking" on the entire system, most likely the canbus.
post #76 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 09:16 PM

Check Engine Code: P0073 https://www.obd-codes.com/p0073

Step 1:
Purchase a cheap 10K thermistor. The one in the photo cost $0.21/each. Mine is a larger tolerance and higher Beta range, but it is working for my Jeep. This a dumb simple little sensor that should not cost much to replace or be a lot of work. I've read main other forums of people going to dealers and having many issues. Vehicles should not be hard to fix. People should also learn how to be independent of the dealer and fix their own issues.

Step 2:
Remove the cap on the mirror housing, you do not have to remove the mirror from the door. Cut off the OEM sensor wires as soon. The photo shows the sensor out of the mirror housing. This is so I could look at it as I explored options. I did place it back in the housing so that the mirror appeared OEM from the outside and keep the hole in the housing blocked as OEM. If you are doing this, just cut the wires

Step 3:
Attach the thermistor to striped wires where the out sensor was cut off. I did test the thermistor before soldering to make sure it worked. My Jeep is currently reading 2-3 degrees F from surrounding thermometers and weather apps. I would suggest testing the thermistor you get like this to make sure it works for you. Make sure to slip on the heat shrink before soldering.

Step 4: Finish the heat shrinking so that the wires can not touch. I added a larger heat shrink tube over both wires and wrapped it in electrical tape. Ziptied the new sensor to the wiring loom to keep high and dry. This appears to be the cleanest place inside the mirror housing.

Step 5: Clear the engine check code.

This is just my findings and modifications I did. It is up to you figure out what is best to do for your issue. I choice to replace the part with a $0.21 part instead of purchasing a $336 mirror assemble from Jeep. That is what I was quoted at the dealer before labor. Still waiting to hear back about this being covered under warranty, I'm not holding my breath.

Now I have no check engine light and I can use my A/C. Now I have mentioned that 4WD function can be lost and I've seen that in pre 2015 Renegade (which is the older models) videos for P0073 issues. It has not been verified in mine, but I think it is something to watch out for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181228_115500.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	2396343141   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181229_130748.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	2396343143   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181229_132022.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	2396343145   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181229_133246.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	2396343147  
Nev, mikeindp and Commando like this.
post #77 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 06:44 AM
Nev

First Name: Nev
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
That is ****ed-up that they now use that thermistor (a known problem part for decades) as an input into the engine management system. This hasn't affected engine management function on any previous (FCA) car I've had. Madness.

2.0 MJet Dirty DERV 140BHP AWD
75th Anniversary Alpine White
post #78 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
That is ****ed-up that they now use that thermistor (a known problem part for decades) as an input into the engine management system. This hasn't affected engine management function on any previous (FCA) car I've had. Madness.
Believe it. It was probably a rush design job to get this thing to market. The renegade is based off a Fiat chassis, the 500x I believe. If this was purely a re-skin job, all the sensors and technology probably didn't change. It's cheaper and faster, taking very little thought into making the design better.

Time to start saving up and trade this thing in next year. Time to switch back to Volkswagen. An Atlas is looking pretty good.
post #79 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 04:29 PM
TTR

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey man Im having the same issues you had with the Outside air temp sensor. Just wanted to know if your thermistor fix held up. Still working ok?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page