New head unit with iDatalink - Jeep Renegade Forum

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
New head unit with iDatalink

Has anyone out there installed a new head unit with the iDatalink? I've been doing some research and it looks like most Kenwood and Pioneer head units can be installed in the Renegade with the use of an iDatalink's Maestro ADS-MRR module, iDatalink's HRN-RR-CH3x wiring adapter and the Metra 95-6532B dash kit. These parts are specifically for the Renegade. The way this is set up and installed allows you to retain the steering wheel controls (plus program additional ones) and allows you to program and display additional vehicle info.

I went to a local (high end) stereo shop and saw a demo with a Kenwood deck. I'm seriously considering this upgrade and have upgraded my six speakers (Infinity Kappa 3.5" in the dash, Hertz 6.6" in the front doors and Polk 5.25" in the rear doors). The only question left unanswered is with this set up is, is the factory microphone retained as well as the USB and Aux plugs? I use the Aux for my Sirius (I have a car kit with a lifetime subscription) and USB for iPod. I also have a High Resolution Music Player loaded with flac files I play via Bluetooth now.

This seems like a viable solution for those interested (as I've seen in other threads) so wondering if anyone here has done it yet (and your experience with it). To see more (wasn't allowed to post the link) there's a YouTube link entitled
iDatalink Maestro CHK1 Installation Tutorial
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Bump, I'm curious about the USB as well. I tried a mini-usb to USB adapter but the head unit said hub not supported.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
no, factory mic is not retained. the new deck will come with a dedicated mic, it could be placed in the factory location, but you will need t tape over the hole in the mic that face towards the sides and roof to prevent it from picking up road noise.
now for the usb, you will need to buy an adapter, usb mini M to usb b F. and just trim the clips on the factory wire.
the aux is not retained, but you can buy an aftermarket aux port to mount in factory location (or wherever you want ) and plug it into the av in port on the new deck.

i'm just doing this install now. a Kenwood DMX7704S wit meastro rr & ch3x. i too have a sirusXM portable with lifetime subscription. i use the aux for it too. i thought about buying the sat tuner that plugs into the kenwood ($50) and transfer my subscription to it ($75). but i use my portable in my loader at work, and on my atv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 03:58 PM

The adapter I got didn't work, just says hub not supported.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elstryfe View Post
The adapter I got didn't work, just says hub not supported.
I just did an install last week with a Kenwood DMX905S.
I got the sirius tuner and a cheap amazon usb adapter for the front dash usb port.

After some confusion with the OBD2 cable, everything works as advertised and is maintained with the following 2 caveats:

1- As previously mentioned, the factory microphone cannot be retained. I installed the kenwood mic in the box behind the mirror. I may move it to the factory microphone location at some point.
2- At the current time, the firmware for the Maestro does not have the menu settings for the DRLs. So you cannot turn them off on the aftermarket unit until the maestro firmware is updated.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:05 PM

Yeah thats the exact same usb adapter I got and hte one that said hub not supported on my kenwood ddx 6705s.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Yeah thats the exact same usb adapter I got and hte one that said hub not supported on my kenwood ddx 6705s.
Odd. What year renegade do you have?
Mine is a 2015 and the Kenwood DMX905S is a 2018 head unit.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 11:01 AM

Mine is a 2018 Sport Lattitude. I haven't tried it again since I've updated the firmware on the head unit. Maybe it'll work now? Doesn't seem like rocket science.. It's a mini usb to usb, should be the same wiring.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 06:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Mine is a 2018 Sport Lattitude. I haven't tried it again since I've updated the firmware on the head unit. Maybe it'll work now? Doesn't seem like rocket science.. It's a mini usb to usb, should be the same wiring.
Should be... but not even all USB cables are created equally, so who knows with this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by savante21 View Post
I just did an install last week with a Kenwood DMX905S.
I got the sirius tuner and a cheap amazon usb adapter for the front dash usb port.

After some confusion with the OBD2 cable, everything works as advertised and is maintained with the following 2 caveats:

1- As previously mentioned, the factory microphone cannot be retained. I installed the kenwood mic in the box behind the mirror. I may move it to the factory microphone location at some point.
2- At the current time, the firmware for the Maestro does not have the menu settings for the DRLs. So you cannot turn them off on the aftermarket unit until the maestro firmware is updated.

I just bought this exact headunit. Stoked. But I am confused about this USB adapter. How does this adapter retain the stock USB port?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page