Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Which Led DRLs are fine for Renegade?

11K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  raz-0 
#1 · (Edited)
I was recently at the jeep dealer and the mechanic said my LED DRLs are not good because when I turn the car off they still stay onfor 15-30 mins. The reason it stays on is because the driver in the Jeep is sending a code to the LED DRLs testing to see if the LED lights are actually the halogens. He said it puts stress on the drivers and eventually either the DRL light driver will blow or the jeeps main driver will blow. This made me have concern because all of the other LED lights I have in my car turn off right away. Is he telling the truth because it seems a lot.

He even checked to see if there were any faults and it said both DRLs are bad in the fault scanner. After a minute just the left one was bad...

Are there any DRL 1157 6000k color size LED for jeep renegade that turns off right away when I turn the car off and not stay on? I have the light settings to turn off too and my current LED DRLS (Phillips) they won't even turn off if I put the DRL switch to off in settings.

#2 · (Edited)
I'm not sure if he is telling the truth, but if you are concerned about what he said you should change them out. LED lights require less power than halogen bulbs. Because they require such little power, they can pick up minimal current within the vehicle which is why they are still lit when the vehicle is off. Some cheap LEDs will do this. If you add a load resistor I believe that would fix your problem.

I purchased these LEDs on Amazon:
Huizen Super Bright LEDs 6000k CanBus Error Free

They do not stay lit at all when I shut off the vehicle. I've had them for a few months now with no issues or errors, and they do not flicker. I did not install the load resistors, as they weren't included when I purchased them.

Photos of them installed if you're interested

#4 ·
I'm not sure if he is telling the truth, but if you are concerned about what he said you should change them out. LED lights require less power than halogen bulbs. Because they require such little power, they can pick up minimal current within the vehicle which is why they are still lit when the vehicle is off. Some cheap LEDs will do this. If you add a load resistor I believe that would fix your problem.
^^^ this here is correct.

your dealer is full of sh*t

#6 ·
I'm a slow learner, but what are the advantages of brighter LED DRLs over regular incandescent DRLs? I have trouble thinking that on coming drivers are really going to notice them unless they are aimed in their eyes. In general, it appears that when DRLs were first mandated, drivers notices them, now, they're just part background scenery.

#10 ·
Ebay link is for thre drl's i got, and they work perfect. The white had a glow, as well as the led's i changed on my rear drl's/brake/turn/ and reverse bulbs. I ordered these resistors from Amazon, added 2 to thre drl whites and traced down the taillight wires to put them inline, and no more annoying noob-looking afterglow or light out error messages. The wiring doesn't look great, and i might splice, solder, and heat shrink everything to make it look cleaner, but it works 100%.

Attachments