• 1 Post By canadianrenegade
  • 1 Post By tburns517
  • 1 Post By Steve Frankel

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Which Led DRLs are fine for Renegade?

I was recently at the jeep dealer and the mechanic said my LED DRLs are not good because when I turn the car off they still stay onfor 15-30 mins. The reason it stays on is because the driver in the Jeep is sending a code to the LED DRLs testing to see if the LED lights are actually the halogens. He said it puts stress on the drivers and eventually either the DRL light driver will blow or the jeeps main driver will blow. This made me have concern because all of the other LED lights I have in my car turn off right away. Is he telling the truth because it seems a lot.

He even checked to see if there were any faults and it said both DRLs are bad in the fault scanner. After a minute just the left one was bad...

Are there any DRL 1157 6000k color size LED for jeep renegade that turns off right away when I turn the car off and not stay on? I have the light settings to turn off too and my current LED DRLS (Phillips) they won't even turn off if I put the DRL switch to off in settings.

Last edited by EmmyTheRenny; 08-17-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I'm not sure if he is telling the truth, but if you are concerned about what he said you should change them out. LED lights require less power than halogen bulbs. Because they require such little power, they can pick up minimal current within the vehicle which is why they are still lit when the vehicle is off. Some cheap LEDs will do this. If you add a load resistor I believe that would fix your problem.

I purchased these LEDs on Amazon:
Huizen Super Bright LEDs 6000k CanBus Error Free

They do not stay lit at all when I shut off the vehicle. I've had them for a few months now with no issues or errors, and they do not flicker. I did not install the load resistors, as they weren't included when I purchased them.

Photos of them installed if you're interested

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tburns517; 08-17-2018 at 09:26 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Ive had LED DRLS for almost a year now with no issues, mine too stay on for 15 minutes after shut down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tburns517 View Post
I'm not sure if he is telling the truth, but if you are concerned about what he said you should change them out. LED lights require less power than halogen bulbs. Because they require such little power, they can pick up minimal current within the vehicle which is why they are still lit when the vehicle is off. Some cheap LEDs will do this. If you add a load resistor I believe that would fix your problem.
^^^ this here is correct.

your dealer is full of sh*t
Jamie Smith likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tburns517 View Post

I purchased these LEDs on Amazon:
Huizen Super Bright LEDs 6000k CanBus Error Free

They do not stay lit at all when I shut off the vehicle. I've had them for a few months now with no issues or errors, and they do not flicker. I did not install the load resistors, as they weren't included when I purchased them.

Photos of them installed if you're interested
Im going to pick up a pair of these bulbs soon. Ill see if they turn off when I turn the car off and such. Thank you!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I'm a slow learner, but what are the advantages of brighter LED DRLs over regular incandescent DRLs? I have trouble thinking that on coming drivers are really going to notice them unless they are aimed in their eyes. In general, it appears that when DRLs were first mandated, drivers notices them, now, they're just part background scenery.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payton Orange View Post
I'm a slow learner, but what are the advantages of brighter LED DRLs over regular incandescent DRLs? I have trouble thinking that on coming drivers are really going to notice them unless they are aimed in their eyes. In general, it appears that when DRLs were first mandated, drivers notices them, now, they're just part background scenery.
It's more for the look. I hated the look of the yellow-ish DRLs and all of the factory lights in general.
Jamie Smith likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
These are working great for me:
iJDMTOY (2) 6000K Xenon White CAN-bus LED Daytime Running Light DRL Bulbs For 2015-up Jeep Renegade
Jamie Smith likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Frankel View Post
These are working great for me:

iJDMTOY (2) 6000K Xenon White CAN-bus LED Daytime Running Light DRL Bulbs For 2015-up Jeep Renegade

Same, love them . Huge difference, night and day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ebay link is for thre drl's i got, and they work perfect. The white had a glow, as well as the led's i changed on my rear drl's/brake/turn/ and reverse bulbs. I ordered these resistors from Amazon, added 2 to thre drl whites and traced down the taillight wires to put them inline, and no more annoying noob-looking afterglow or light out error messages. The wiring doesn't look great, and i might splice, solder, and heat shrink everything to make it look cleaner, but it works 100%.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190317-205748_eBay_1552881487713.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	2396343615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190317-205715_Amazon Shopping_1552881506978.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	2396343617   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190317_204203_1552881619449.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	2396343619   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190317_204837_1552881685955.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	2396343621  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page