Jeep Renegade Forum banner

First oil change indicator mileage.

85K views 69 replies 41 participants last post by  Kewrock 
#1 ·
I know myself as well as others start getting a bit paranoid waiting for the vehicle to indicate the first oil change is needed.

Just wondering what mileage you got yours at. Mine finally went off at 6305.

#36 ·
Actually the oil should be changed when that light comes on. Read the quote below from the Renegade
owners manual, it's on page 522.

Change Engine Oil
The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is
time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.
Refer to the “Maintenance Schedule” for further information.
NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve
months, whichever occurs first

Clifton

#38 ·
Never had an oil warning on my 1.6 Diesel Limited - but today I did... and it keeps reminding me!

First service was 12,000 miles, so oil was changed then, but the "Engine Oil Degraded" caption only came on at 21,697 miles... booked in for 2nd Service on Monday!

I have had the Jeep for 6 days under a year, so managed a good range of driving in that time... for a Brit ��

#40 ·
I am old school with oil changes and start to get itchy when I pass the 3000k mile mark with the oil in the vehicle.
I know most vehicles now with full synthetic oils can go 5-10k between changes (my wife's civic INSISTS on waiting until 10k to notify her), but it still bothers me. I find 5-6k between oil changes with a turbo charged engine is happy medium for me (took me a while to get to that point). Not so frequent that I am hurting my wallet, but not so infrequent that I start to get worried.

#41 ·
Just changed oil & filter at 9987 km (6K miles). I drove maybe 100 km after it first came on.

Put in 5W40 synthetic oil, as specified. I like synthetic oil anyway (better viscosity retention at both low & high temps, less "breakdown" over time, etc. It still gets dirty, though, so it should be changed regularly.

Oil change was easy, but changing the filter was harder than I'd expected. I have the 1.4T engine, so it has the "euro" style element filter, not a spin-on, and (of course) I don't have the correct size of socket to fit the molded-in hex on the end of the filter holder. Got it off with a strap wrench, from beneath. Everything went back together nicely, though (there's a reason to change the O-ring!).

#45 ·
I found that using a U-joint on ratchet helps a lot with getting the filter cover off. And do yourself a favor get the special socket for the filter cover. I used a 1-1/16" socket because it is what I had. Still a pain in the butt to get off because the socket wouldn't stay seated. Found out the filter cover has little locking tabs to hold the specially made filter socket onto it. Those little tabs will actually push the socket off. This also lets you torque it back down to spec a lot easier too.

#42 ·
Synthetic Oil Change IMO

OK, everyone, the change oil indicator is just a algorithm based on several factors, like idle time and speed over length of time. They do not analysis the actual oil. Turbos are very hot and cooled by oil, so in this case on the 1.4L I would do 10k unless I had UOA (Universal Oil Analysis ) to back it up. Mine is the 2.4 and spin on filter so 20k is no prob at all!

Yes you do want to change the oil in the first 1-2k due to break in and more so filter change! Engines are not broken in over 50 miles or 2 hours run time. Ring float can be a big factor if not seated well.

I did my first at 1k then 10k and then on at 20k per change. Yes use JustSynthetic and change 1 year or 10k unless your reminder goes off first or like me you have a by-pass filter and use 0w-20 good for 25k Miles. just my 2 cents!

The only time over 10k miles is if you have a Full synthetic media filter like a Amsoil Eao, not a paper like mopar or fram! My site can answer more questions or just contact me if a question is needing a reply!

Reactions: V01308
#43 ·
OK, everyone, the change oil indicator is just a algorithm based on several factors, like idle time and speed over length of time. They do not analysis the actual oil. Turbos are very hot and cooled by oil, so in this case on the 1.4L I would do 10k unless I had UOA (Universal Oil Analysis ) to back it up.
No, my Renegade has a tiny oil analysis lab staffed with tiny elves who sample the oil every day; they climb up under the dash and turn on the "Oil Change Required" light by hand when needed. The trick is to keep 'em happy; you gotta keep them in whisky, or they start screwing around with the electrical systems and causing problems. Just put a dram of good scotch into the oil fill hole every few days and you're good to go! ;)

#51 ·
Well, like the guy said above, it's just an algorithm that turns on the light based on a number of factors (or, in my case, a bunch of tiny elves in lab coats). Plus, turbo...

(Don't do like my sister, she took in her Volkswagen after running it for a year without the turbo working--getting horrible fuel mileage the whole time--and was told by the tech the oil was so low it didn't even show on the dipstick...)

#52 ·
My oil indicator light came on last night (Omaha Orange 2016 Trailhawk), at 6,415 miles. Luckily I had already scheduled an appointment with the dealership for this morning. I took it in and after I got back in the car, this is what struck me as odd: on the windshield there was an AutoZone (or something similar) sticker with my next oil change reminder. I've never had a dealership take any of my cars to another place to get them serviced. I was late to do something else so I didn't even really think about it until later. What do you guys think?

#61 ·
If you need Oil?

Hey,

We all do lots of fun miles and always love having someone else do our oil changes, but if you need or want dealer cost on my products just hit me up or got my site below! My phone number is their too.

The 1.4 get European Car Formula 5W-40 Classic ESP Synthetic Motor Oil (EFM) at $6 a qt.

The 2.4 get XL 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil (ASM) at $6 too. Both 10,ooo miles oil changes!

We higher mileage as well for up to 25,000 with the best filter to match.

Get a free set of elves when you get a case, whiskey not included, but I recommend Johnny Walker Black!

#69 ·
If you need Oil?

Hey,

We all do lots of fun miles and always love having someone else do our oil changes, but if you need or want dealer cost on my products just hit me up or got my site below! My phone number is their too.

The 1.4 get European Car Formula 5W-40 Classic ESP Synthetic Motor Oil (EFM) at $6 a qt.

The 2.4 get XL 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil (ASM) at $6 too. Both 10,ooo miles oil changes!

We higher mileage as well for up to 25,000 with the best filter to match.

Get a free set of elves when you get a case, whiskey not included, but I recommend Johnny Walker Black!
I just picked mine up Monday - 1.3 4x2 Renegade - the manual says a straight 0w-30, I am in Albania so this should be interesting - I had trouble getting 5W-30 for my PT. Are they about the same?

#65 ·
As long as the oil is topped off and not looking too dark, I don't see any reason to change it before the indicator goes off. Unless maybe your going on a long road trip. My first indicator went off around 7200-7300 miles. I think I topped it off once in that time frame.

#66 ·
I did my first oil change at 2000. Just in case there was anything in there from break in. The oil still looked new at 2k. Then second at 6k. I will do it again at 10k and every 5k after that.

I usually do all my cars at 5k. Sometimes sooner on my Camaro if I'm going to the drag strip or its been a while.

#67 ·
Bump!

My light popped on for the first time at 6235 miles. 2018 1.4t. Many 3 mile short trips, one 1800 mile road trip, and about one or two highway trips out of town a week.

Of course I'm struggling with resetting the indicator. I've tried spitting at it. I've tried swearing at it. Called it bad names. Called its mom bad names. Nothing. I think Fiat decided you need to wear Italian shoes to press the pedal 3 times... Pumas must not be Italian enough.

#68 ·
I just picked mine up, 1.3 and the vehicle service panel say it isn't due for 14,800 kilometers. (15KM = 9,000 miles) I was like what!!! The book says has two notes about changing oil, but only references 6 Which tells you when the indicator comes on or one year. wow!!!! My old PT used to say 7500 miles, I changed between 4500 and 5000 because you could feel the difference - I drove it for 15 years, still am until I sell it. 9k miles. I probably won't do that every year because I live in Albania so once a year should be good, but the idea of 9000 miles. It also says it depends on how you drive, hours vs mileage. They should give you an hour timer option like they used to on diesels.

#70 ·
I know myself as well as others start getting a bit paranoid waiting for the vehicle to indicate the first oil change is needed.

Just wondering what mileage you got yours at. Mine finally went off at 6305.
I don't worry about that reminder. I just change every every 4000 miles. By then, it's usually couple qts low. I have one of the recall engines that burn oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.