Jeep Renegade Forum banner

What have I done...

32K views 48 replies 11 participants last post by  IDoMy0wnRacing 
#1 ·
So, this has been going on for the past month, and I am not finished yet.

I bought my 2016 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk in October 2015 (I had taken my 2015 Renegade Trailhawk in for some software upgrades, and came home with the Renegade Trailhawk I was looking for in the first place (options that weren't yet available in the 2015 model)). I just turned over 50000 miles and I am now starting to play with it.

My short list includes:

ATP Lift Springs;
Avid 2.5 Lift kit;
Bilstein B6 Series Struts;
Supreme Engineering Technologies 1.5 inch Wheel Spacers;
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A K02, 225/65R17;
ATP Carrier Bearing Skid Plate;
ATP Rear 3rd Member Diff Skid System;
AVID RADIUS PreRunner Front Bumper;
Warn VR-8S winch, Factor 55 UltraHook w/Factor 55 Rope Guard;
AVID RADIUS Expedition Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier;
Rocky Road Outfitters Kicker Rock Sliders;
BIG TD05 16G 7CM Turbo Charger;
“Piggyback” Turbo tuning by Road Race Motorsports;
Madness AutoFlash (Transmission);
MagnaFlow Cat-Back exhaust;
AVID AERO Snorkel;
EuroCompulsion V4 Air Induction Kit;
AEM UEGO Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge;
AEM Boost Gauge.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Reactions: dgr401
#3 ·
#4 · (Edited)
And now for the harder part...

Turbocharged Tigershark 2.4L ! ! !

I am NOT building this little Renegade Trailhawk into a Hot Rod.

To be honest, the Renegade is about gutless. It gets around okay, but I live in the mountains and if you have too climb a hill for a minute, it takes some effort. Try passing somebody... if you don't plan it just right, it can be a bit scary.

NOW, add an additional 400-ish pounds of weight? i.e. Front Bumper with Winch, Rear Bumper, Rock Sliders, Lift Kit, and bigger Tires.

I want to add just a little bit extra. Give it the "poop" that it should have had from the factory, and make up for the added weight.

Nothing extreme, I am talking less than 8 pounds of boost.
As an example: 4 psi of boost will push the 180bhp to 180whp. Could you imagine having 180 usable Horse Power? weg I can.

One of my dilemma's was tuning.
A pre-programmed 'piggyback' computer module that would take the inputs from the Jeep's computer and ADD to those inputs enough to allow for boost by retarding the timing and adding fuel (and it does a few other little things).

My other dilemma was, how do I keep the snorkel?
I don't want to take away from something that has already been added (that and I had to cut a 3.5 inch hole in my fender).

… I was able to take the EuroCompulsion V4 Air Induction Kit made for the 1.4L turbo Renegades and incorporate it into my build.
And I have to admit, IT TURNED OUT NICE!!!

This is work in progress, but it's coming along.

Attachments

#10 ·
You realize that it's still a Renegade, right ?

Just busting on ya, looks real good ! I won't insult you by asking what all that cost, but sheesh !! :eek:
This is my Renegade. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my Renegade is useless. Without my Renegade, I am useless...

Just kidding. I have to be unique.

A lot, I spent way more then I should have for some parts. I won't mention any names or businesses, but I allowed myself to get ripped off for about $5500.00 buying turbo parts that in no way would have made a useable kit.
… although, I now have a few spare parts. Emphasis on 'a few'. :|

#15 ·
UPDATE: 2.4l Tigershark Turbo.

I had to reroute the radiator hoses and one of the engine oil cooler hoses. Relatively easy, I just had to cut the original hose clamps and rotate them up and out of the way and installed new hose clamps, relocate one of the “T” fittings that is in the upper radiator hose. The surge tank hose had to be modified. It is a plastic flex hose that doesn’t flex, so I had to cut the ends off to reuse them and replace the middle section with some silicone heater hose (solenoid hose has better heat resistance).

On the upper charge pipe going into the throttle body, I had to have a Boss welded in for an additional injector and a Blow-Off Valve (BOV) (not my work, I don’t know how to TIG weld aluminum. But the guy did a really good job).

Wired in the Piggyback Computer (PBC). It wires in to the wire harness coming out of the computer (lower connector) and intercepts the signal for the crank sensor, cam sensor, knock sensor, upper and lower o2 sensor, and the MAP sensor (I’m sure that I am forgetting something, or two). The PBC has two harness and a vacuum hose coming out of it. The Main Harness, for all of the sensor inputs and out puts, one harness going to the Additional Injector, and the vacuum hose that reads boost.

How this works: The Piggyback Computer takes the reading from the sensors and makes no changes under normal driving conditions, it does this by monitoring vacuum. Once the PBC starts to see boost, it starts to make changes to the timing (retarding the timing) and starts adding additional fuel as needed; it also is taking reading from the o2 sensors, knock sensors and the cam sensor.

The Piggyback Computer is programmed through software on a Laptop. There are two Maps that are adjustable. Map A is for Timing adjustments and Map B for fuel. Adjustments are made at 500 RPM increments and Vacuum & Boost in .5 pound (figurative) increments.

By monitoring the software you can see where the PBC is getting its information to make adjustments. I installed an Air/Fuel ratio (AFR) and a Vacuum/Boost gauge so that I can monitor the AFR and Boost and make adjustment to the PBC.
I got the turbo installed and ran the piping. Initially I used the 1 aluminum pipe at the Throttle Body because I needed a solid place for the Additional Injector and BOV. All of the other pipes I made from ABS (it is like black PVC) plastic 2.25 inch pipe. I used regular silicone inner cooler elbows and reducers to join the ABS together. And of course the oil feed and return lines had to be installed…

My first test drive (running the PBC tuned (Renegade specific) as I received it): 25 mile round trip to the gas station. I made it all the way to the gas station without any issues. I am driving conservatively, not getting into too much boost, I want the vehicles computer and the PVC computer to learn to get along. It is mostly downhill form home to the station, I get stuck behind somebody driving slower then I want to, when it is clear, I press on the accelerator, get up in to the 4 pound boost range and the little Renegade went… My pass was effortless. Keep in mind, I didn’t floor it, I am driving conservatively, I want to get at least 100 miles on it before I try to see what it is capable of.

I fill the Renegade with 91 octane, because that is the best we have available where I live. TWO reasons. I am running with boost, and the Trailhawk does not have room for an inner cooler. Add the fact that I have the AVID bumper and an 8000 pound Winch, I really don’t have room for an inner cooler. So to compensate for this, I run 7.35 pounds of boost, MAX, and premium gasoline. An inner cooler isn’t required until after 8 pounds of boost.

On the way back from the gas station (mostly uphill) the jeep runs really good, with the exception of an occasional hick up, like the engine is losing crank signal, but only for a fraction of a second. I stop for a red light and the jeep dies but starts right back up. The light turns green and I give it some gas and I hear a pop, sound like one of my hoses came off of one of the charge pipes. The jeep runs, but no boost and I can hear the air rush. I pull over and sure enough, one of the pipes came out of the hoses. So I bust out my little tool box and I start to out the pipe back in the hose and realize that the ABS pipe had gotten soft by the engine bay heat and shrunk at the hose by the hose clamp. While I am reconnecting the pipe I can smell something like plastic melting, but I don’t see anything. I get the pipe reconnected and start the Renegade and have an engine light and a red screen stating Cooling Circuit Failure… the engine temperature is in the 200 range, but normal. So I head towards home, the engine starts to warm up and the A/C stopped working. I pull over, shut off the Renegade and pop the hood. The Turbocharger sits about a 1.5 inches from the cooling fan, and it gets hot! Melted the fan motor cover. The fan blades turn but it makes crunchy sounds. Call the wife to pick me up, bring the trailer.

So I order a new fan, a turbo blanket, and exhaust wrap. I have seen videos where a turbo blanket will retain the heat and send it out the exhaust reducing the engine bay temperature by 50%, add exhaust wrap for the headers and down pipe for additional insurance. I also ordered aluminum pipe to replace the ABS pipe because ABS can’t withstand the heat in the engine bay. I also figured that aluminum pipe will help dissipate heat, especially since I am not using an inner cooler, any additional cooling would be a plus. I did learn that the ABS made for a good templet for the more expensive aluminum pipe.

Now, I put the turbo in a blanket, wrapped the headers and down pipe, replaced the radiator fan, replaced the ABS with aluminum and relocated the Additional Injector and BOV to the rear of the engine (appearances), and reprogrammed the PBC to get rid of the hesitation and fine tune the timing and air fuel ratio.

More test drives, and computer tuning and now I’m ready to take the big test drive.

I loaded up the Renegade and headed off to work, 75 miles one way.

It was a good drive. The computers are still learning, the engine temperatures are where they are supposed to be and the Renegade runs up and down the mountains like a regular car.

Before the turbo, but after I installed the Front and Rear Bumpers, Winch, Rock Sliders and 4 inch lift (approximately 500 additional pounds (reminds me, I need to get this thing weighed)), the little (not so little as for a Renegades go) really had to work hard to climb some of the mountain roads that I travel on a daily basis. I am still driving conservative because I want to get more miles on it before I play too hard, but there is a big difference in the way this Jeep runs. It isn’t a hot rod my any means, but is now has the power to climb 6 % grade and pull, I can pass somebody with confidence. It now runs (in my mind’s eye) like it should have from the factory.

I’m going to run this for a couple weeks and post another update, unless of course something goes terribly wrong, then I will post that as it happens.

Side Notes: estimated gains. Our 2.4l Renegades are rated at 180 Brake Horse Power (BHP (at the crank)) which is approximately 139 Wheel Horse Power (WHP). 23% loss through the Powertrain (Automatic and AWD).

7 pounds of boost is approximately 285 BHP = 216 WHP

A few Before and After pics.

Attachments

#17 ·
Tip o' the hat to you, sir. You are one brave individual !

You probably have the most modded Renegade/engine on the planet !

The most I've modified mine was when I put seat covers on and cup holder coasters in....:)

No wait, I also preset ALL radio station buttons...yes I did.

Congrats on your awesome build, I'm sure you're not done. Once you go down that rabbit hole, it's hard to stop.

#18 ·
OK, using AFR rather than EGT may not be the best plan.

Also I suspect that a design with no intercooler and 7+lbs of boost might be sketchy. I've run into setups that were supposedly limited to 4-6, and I can say they were not happy in all weather.

I'm a bit dubious on the conclusion that you are getting a 105hp bump at the crank for just ~7lbs of boost. And marketing materials and butt dynos should never be trusted for such things.

That being said, if approached judiciously, you can keep form blowing things up.

However, there is one thing that makes me think this plan may be doomed, and that's the teensy gas tank. If you get it working well, I see having to be paranoid about fuel in general, and you are talking 25 mile trips to gas stations. That's a special kind of bold.

#20 ·
OK, using AFR rather than EGT may not be the best plan.

Also I suspect that a design with no intercooler and 7+lbs of boost might be sketchy. I've run into setups that were supposedly limited to 4-6, and I can say they were not happy in all weather.

I'm a bit dubious on the conclusion that you are getting a 105hp bump at the crank for just ~7lbs of boost. And marketing materials and butt dynos should never be trusted for such things.

That being said, if approached judiciously, you can keep form blowing things up.

However, there is one thing that makes me think this plan may be doomed, and that's the teensy gas tank. If you get it working well, I see having to be paranoid about fuel in general, and you are talking 25 mile trips to gas stations. That's a special kind of bold.

Thanks for that, I really appreciate the input. REALLY.

I have never considered a EGT gauge. Most of my research has told me “For tuning, compared to a wideband Air/Fuel Ratio meter, EGT is USELESS.”

EGT would be good information, but I couldn’t tell you at what temp my vehicle is running safe.

I am still working on the tune, and my current MPG is right at 17.8. I am hoping that it will improve and I get the jeep dialed in. … hoping.

#21 ·
I've not really understood the snorkels on renegades. they can only ford 19 inches of water stock. I'm guessing this is more of an electrical issue than anything as we've seen on this forum that some renegades don't like going through car washes. So really isn't the snorkel just for looks more than function?

#24 ·
I put one on the PoohHawk just in case.

And as you can see I have a River Raider one on my Rubi and it save my ass many times!
Plus our MPG went up with it and the new Exhaust System.
I can't wait to get a good programmer for it. Just waiting on Hypertech to get the bugs out.

#26 ·
I had a snorkel kit on my 1954 Willys Army surplus M38A1 when I was in high school. It was a REAL snorkel kit in every sense of the word, not this wannabe stuff sold nowadays. The engine was waterproof, NOT water resistant. The snorkel came out of the hood and up along the passenger side of the windshield. The exhaust extension pipe came out the back and elbowed up, as high as the snorkel. You pulled a lever on the dash and it sealed off the crankcase. You could go as deep as the pipes were high and for as long as you wanted.

My "thing" to do when I was a kid was to go to a beach party, submerge my Willys so only the pipes, top of the steering wheel, top of the spare tire and me and my friends heads were above water. A cooler of beer was in an inner tube tied off to the bow rail, floating behind. Meander back and forth, showing off and drinking beer. Then turn and pull onto dry land, water gushing everywhere. Everyone wanted rides, but for some reason I only allowed girls....;)

The Willys itself survived many a water dousing, I think the 20 or so coats of USGI applied OD paint helped. One day while driving I hit a hefty bump and the ENTIRE exhaust system from the manifold on back fell off. A wee tad rusty she was.... That little 4-banger with zero exhaust was quite the loud on the way home....

Ah, "The Good Ol' Days"....

Oh, the price for the entire brand-new-in-the-box USGI surplus snorkel system ? Twenty bucks. Sure, this was 1978, but still....20 bucks.

#28 ·
IDoMyOwnRacing- question- Is the snorkel setup on your Jeep loud ? On my old Willy's, even when I took the mushroom cap from off my air cleaner and put on top of my snorkel (as per design, prevents rain from entering), there was a definite "whoosh" type sound of air being sucked in. In the village I grew up in, the max speed limit was 30 mph (good thing for that old Willy's), there was noticeable noise, not deafening, but noticeable, probably due to the low speeds. At highway speed does your Rene sound like a hurricane approaching ?

#35 ·
I made an observation today. The last few miles heading home is all up hill.
I didn't realize how hot turbochargers got.
The two pictures were taken at night. Picture 1 with a flash and picture 2 without flash.
The hot side of the turbo is right at 900 degrees Fahrenheit (°F)(My research is showing me that turbines in most current production turbochargers are suitable for continuous operation at an exhaust gas inlet temperature of 1750°F (950°C)).
For the most part, anything under 1600 °F (900 °C) is normal.
but it sure looks hot... lol

Just thought I'd share.

Attachments

#36 ·
:eek:
Anything plastic in the vicinity of that turbo ?

Are you concerned about water crossings now that you see that turbo gets cherry red ? I'd imagine an immediate dunking in cool water would not be friendly to it...

I wouldn't park it on dry leaves on a windy day or in tall dead grass; Jeep go BOOM. :laugh:

#40 ·
It is hard to admit, but I think that I am about finished. Minus the roof rack, I have just about completed my build.
I have a few more little modifications, like: re-positioning some switches, where to plug in the winch controller, general upkeep and scheduled maintenance, I think I'm done.
... I have a happy Jeep.

#45 ·
I would like to know more about the turbo you put in that and how I can do that to mine. I have always wondered if I could bolt on one and if so what or how to do it.

So, this has been going on for the past month, and I am not finished yet.

I bought my 2016 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk in October 2015 (I had taken my 2015 Renegade Trailhawk in for some software upgrades, and came home with the Renegade Trailhawk I was looking for in the first place (options that weren't yet available in the 2015 model)). I just turned over 50000 miles and I am now starting to play with it.

My short list includes:

ATP Lift Springs;
Avid 2.5 Lift kit;
Bilstein B6 Series Struts;
Supreme Engineering Technologies 1.5 inch Wheel Spacers;
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A K02, 225/65R17;
ATP Carrier Bearing Skid Plate;
ATP Rear 3rd Member Diff Skid System;
AVID RADIUS PreRunner Front Bumper;
Warn VR-8S winch, Factor 55 UltraHook w/Factor 55 Rope Guard;
AVID RADIUS Expedition Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier;
Rocky Road Outfitters Kicker Rock Sliders;
BIG TD05 16G 7CM Turbo Charger;
“Piggyback” Turbo tuning by Road Race Motorsports;
Madness AutoFlash (Transmission);
MagnaFlow Cat-Back exhaust;
AVID AERO Snorkel;
EuroCompulsion V4 Air Induction Kit;
AEM UEGO Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge;
AEM Boost Gauge.

#46 ·
The least expensive way to get almost everything that you will need is to go to ROAD RACE MOTORSPORTS and get the 2013-2017 Dart 2.4L Road Race Turbo System (A/T).

It will cost you about $4500.00 and another $700.00 in taxes and shipping.

Get the Piggyback FTC1-129E Fuel/Timing Calibrator, from Split Second (it isn’t listed, so you will have to give them a call. It runs about $550.00.

Amazon has almost everting else that you might need (prices are -ish)

Turbo blanket, $130.00

exhaust wrap, $30.00

SS wire ties, $10.00

Silicone unions, $110.00

t-clamps, $50.00

aluminum pipe, $55.00

AEM Boost & A/F Ratio gauges, $500.00

Cold air intake, $350.00 (not Amazon).

Figure $200.00 on miscellaneous other things.

You are looking at close to $7000.00 to turbo your Renegade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.