Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Renegade Longitude Multiair 140hp automatic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a pre-owned 015 (1.4 Multiair 140hp Longitude, European) with about 25k miles on it. Love it!

When driving in the city center, I am repeatedly accelerating from 0-30 mph, releasing the gas, slowing down, stopping, etc. I have found that the transmission sometimes seems to have a hard time finding the correct gear. The car then seems to “stutter” or hiccup a few times and changes gears harshly as if it hesitates to find the correct gear.

When I am driving outside of the city for instance going about 50 mph in cruise control, everything is fine and smooth. But as the speed limit changes I cancel the cruise control and let the car ride along and slow down without throttling. As soon as it has slowed down to about 30 mph and below, the car starts to feel “stuttery” or bumpy as if driving on very small cobble stones. A bit like when the wheels aren’t properly aligned or balanced.

Perhaps these two issues aren’t related. I have test-driven two other Renegades of the same model. One 015 which had the same problem and a 016 which was totally flawless. When test-driving however I did not find the problem as annoying as I find it now.

What should I do? I have a 14 day “return it if not satisfied” guarantee. Should return it, have it fixed, or live with it?

Many thanks from the Netherlands!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Ahhh! Now that you mention cruise control.

Cruise control is that not the equivalent of "eco mode"? I noticed this in my mates Dacia Duster when he was being lazy and wouldn't change gears from eg 6th to 5th (manual) but decided to plod along and have the vehicle stuttering through lack of fuel.

Never in any of my automatic cars that I have driven have I found any stuttering of any nature and I regularly drive in within a local council estate area with streets and junctions merely 100 yards apart if that.

In relation to buying car you cannot return in just because you dont like it within 14 days.

Tell you what, I am off to Rolls Royce to buy a car and return it within 14 days stating that I don't like the Rolls Royce for reasons of I just don't like it. Do you think that is acceptable?

Should I return it, have it fixed, or live with it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cruise control is that not the equivalent of "eco mode"? I noticed this in my mates Dacia Duster when he was being lazy and wouldn't change gears from eg 6th to 5th (manual) but decided to plod along and have the vehicle stuttering through lack of fuel.
No it is not. It keeps the car at a set speed without using the throttle.

In relation to buying car you cannot return in just because you dont like it within 14 days
Well, yes I can. I am in the Netherlands and I bought this 2nd hand car with 12 months of guarantee on everything, PLUS the option to return it within 14 days of purchase. So it really is an option out here.

·
Registered
652 Posts
You will not have a guarantee on "everything" but what I would do is to inform the garage you bought it from stating that the car needs to be examined. Let them tell you what is wrong with car and if it is covered under the " guarantee on everything" then you have nothing to be worried about. Should the garage tell you that whatever is wrong with the car is NOT covered then you need to obtain a price for repairs and make an informed decision as to how much is acceptable for you to pay.

Searching this forum will likely give you plenty of ammunition to take back to the garage should you find enough people with the same faults. You are aiming to prove that there is an inherent fault at the time of manufacture and that the garage has now sold you a "Lemon" for a car.

I cannot tell you what to do in relation to, "What should I do? I have a 14 day “return it if not satisfied” guarantee. Should return it, have it fixed, or live with it?" That has to be your choice.

Should you not be happy at all with the above then IMHO had it been I then they would be told to keep the car and get a full refund. Then search elsewhere for another Jeep.

You are missing out on a great car and I for one cannot fault my Jeep other than I didn't get a sliding picnic table and a frying pan pre-fitted in the boot for cooking bacon. We all love bacon don't we :giggle:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I'll inform the garage and if they claim it is not covered under the warranty (which would be strange because I have a 12 month warranty, on indeed "everything"), I can return it and get my money back under the "14 day return if not satisfied" warranty.

So I'll ask them to fix the automatic gear shifting stutter and if they tell me this is normal for this type of car, should I believe them? I read mixed opinions about this on several forums.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Wiz, my Renegade is the diesel 6 speed manual but if I were ever to read that others had the same complaint as me I would be raising merry hell in the Dealership until the Managing Director came out of hiding to discuss the issues.

The part about believing is up to you but when so many people are reporting the same type of complaint I would be hesitant to dismiss them.

·
Registered
652 Posts
going about 50 mph in cruise control, everything is fine and smooth. But as the speed limit changes I cancel the cruise control and let the car ride along and slow down without throttling. As soon as it has slowed down to about 30 mph and below, the car starts to feel “stuttery” or bumpy as if driving on very small cobble stones.
I must be a sad soul as an incident this morning reminded me of your post.

At the end of my street I slowed down in my manual Renegade from 30mph without down gearing. The car started stuttering for reasons:

• It was in the wrong gear
  • I wasn't pressing the accelerator.
It was just laziness on my part as I was too busy yacking with the missus. A quick gear change and a light touch of the accelerator remidied this simple predicament. That's the moment your post jumped into my mind. So, is it possible that by not pressing the accelerator your car started stuttering.

I understand that an automatic should be down gearing without any throttle and wonder if the vehicle was simply "in between" gears and not knowing wether to drop another gear or remained in the higher gear with no fuel for too long.

You have certainly got people thinking (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it indeed feels like the automatic is in between gears OR it is lacking throttle. But I guess this is all computer controlled in an automatic. I have driven many automatics before and they did not do this.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Yes it indeed feels like the automatic is in between gears OR it is lacking throttle. But I guess this is all computer controlled in an automatic. I have driven many automatics before and they did not do this.

Hi Wizfinger,
While I see that you have received great input from your fellow forum members on this concern, please remember that our team is able to assist you alongside your dealer. In the future, feel free to send us a private message for additional support.

Kathryn
JeepCares

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The car dealer that I bought the car from (not a Jeep dealer but rather a Peugeot dealer) has allowed me to go to an official Jeep dealership and they will pay for the repairs. So I have good hopes that it will be OK.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts