Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any advice or input on whether the 1.3 turbo engine would be advisable to purchase over the 2.4? I know turbo=more parts, more things that can go wrong and have to work correctly, etc. etc.

·
Registered
16’ 500X Pop, Rosso, 1.4T/M6, 18” O.Z. 45th Anniversary wheels, H&R springs, Momo shift knob, K&N dr
31 Posts
Anyone have any advice or input on whether the 1.3 turbo engine would be advisable to purchase over the 2.4? I know turbo=more parts, more things that can go wrong and have to work correctly, etc. etc.
That 2.4 has been an oil guzzling boat anchor for decades. I have a 1.4 and flat refused to even test a 2.4.

·
Super Moderator
3,737 Posts
We love both of the 2.4 we have had with 1 problem on our 17 at 26,xxx miles was a rear main seal leak but the dealer fixed it in 2 days and now we are running 28 mpg.

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
I'd take a smaller cc FPT petrol turbo over a larger cc, older, North American derived NA petrol any day.

But I think it's a personal preference thing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I live in the Pikes Peak area at 8500 ft and have the 2.4 in my '15 TH. I went to the local Jeep dealer and test drove a 1.3 on the road up to my place. I firmly believe the 1.3 is the engine the Rene should have had all along. It doesn't make a huge difference from my 2.4 (certainly not enough to make me think about getting a new Jeep), but it is noticeable and improve the drivability with the AT. It still doesn't compare to my old VW with the 1.8 turbo in terms of pickup, but it is nicer than the 2.4. If I were getting a new (or used) Renegade and had a choice between the 1.3T or the 2.4, there's no doubt that I'd go with 1.3.

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
Turbo trumps NA at altitude. I wonder if there is a supercharger option. (I think there are 1.4 supercharger kits available...)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Turbo trumps NA at altitude. I wonder if there is a supercharger option. (I think there are 1.4 supercharger kits available...)
They developed a kit for the Fiat 500 with the 1.4 but for the cost and only gaining 50hp... not worth it at all. More cost effective to upgrade your turbo and components.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Never had issues with the 2.4 in the three vehicles I own/owned with that motor. All total 165,000 trouble free miles. I average 26.1 mpg in the Renegade (impacted by the cargo box), 32.1 in the 2017 Chrysler 200, and was getting 29 mpg at 90,000 miles on my 2014 Dodge Avenger before selling it. I will say that the 2.4 is slightly noisier in the Jeep but still no real complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I am so sorry that you guys dont get the Diesel Renny in the US as my 2.0L 4x4 diesel is simply awesome in all aspects. Best all round vehicle I have had the pleasure of owning.

The combination of being a 2.0L engine and chipped means that the engine imho simply excels itself.

On that note if I had to choose between the 1.3 renny and the 2.4 Trailhawk then I would have to seriously consider what I would be using the Jeep for.

Town and city would be the 1.3 regardless of how much I would be Modding it. Then the 2.4 Trailhawk for everything else.

In relation to the original question then my choice for how I use the Renny right now would be the Trailhawk. Each to their own. (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the 2.4 had no problems, gets 30mpg on the road. That said Ive not seen or heard anyone complain about the 1.4 but some have complaints with the 2.4.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will take the turbo any day. I have the power when I want or need it. Great on gas. The other, keep reading about oil consumption issues. Had 2015 and now 2018 manual 6 speed. Nothing like it. I drive it, it does not drive me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2020 Trailhawk with the 1.3 turbo and it's been great. Really fun to drive. I lifted it because, well....I'm still trying to come up with a reason for that.:)

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
A lovely buy Thumper. :love:(y)(y)

Would you perhaps consider a small engine upgrade that will make a massive difference to your performance and fuel consumption?

I believe it's called Go-pedal and is a little plug and play "Chip module" that gets fitted by you to the engine, (couple of minutes). Madness Autoworks on the forum have it advertised. I use a different one in my Renegade 2.0L 4x4 diesel to great effect. (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Go pedal doesn't add any horsepower or torque, is useful with an automatic, but I believe it would be of little use in a stick shift.

·
Registered
5 Posts
turbo six speed is what I have and I love it. Wish I'd had a six speed in my Corvette powered MG back in the sixties!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Drove a Patriot with a 2.4l for almost ten years. 200,000 miles and running strong when I traded it in for the 1.3T Renegade. I have almost 20k on the Renegade and the 1.3 seems like a better motor. More guts and can deliver excellent fuel mileage.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
My Jeep is manual and the chip that's been added has made it a flying machine.

I call the Jeep FAF, fast as freck :eek::ROFLMAO:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts