Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

So I have a 2021 Renegade Trailhawk with the 1.3L Turbo, and I live in the US. So, from what I have been reading, this has been a conundrum for most Renegade owners, so I hope this will be helpful, but also wanting some insight from out there also.

Our Renegade is nearly loaded, just missing the sunroof, and cruise/park assist, but the other thing its missing is the Cold Weather Group which has the battery blanket, and block heater. I tried to order the parts myself, after talking with my dealer locally, and wow, what a mess I have gotten into. Long story short, the parts guy here was incorrect in his numbers and application to add the heater and cord. He gave me one number which was right, but the heater itself, was incorrect, and for the 2.4

Here from my calling another dealer with a more competent parts guy, is what I found:

Block heater: 56044738AB
Cord: 68440351AA

This shows up in older StarParts catalogs, for the 1.3L, but I have a 2021, and its a mess, I talked to several parts guys, and came up with these two numbers as the correct ones, the issue though being, the cord, is fine, about $118 dollars online. But the heater? What a joke! $400-600 dollars depending on where you look.

I am wondering, have other 1.3L owners done this? To go stock, parts and labor is pretty much $1000 bucks. What are alternative you have found helpful? There is no way I will pay that for a block heater. Are there better aftermarket options like the magnetic or glue on pan heaters that you have found helpful? Or what about aftermarket wet/dry plug heaters? Any info would be helpful. We love our Jeep, just wish we would have known about this before purchasing. We live in an area that according to the vehicle, could potentially not start when it gets to -30 ambient temp at rare times. We shut our vehicle off the other day when it was about -20 below and the dash came up with "engine heater recommended". We feel it is important to add this, but there is just zero information out there, any ideas you have, are appreciated!

· Registered
46 Posts
considering the smaller capacity engine I think any of the aftermarket heaters would work
Zerostart is one of the more recommended brands for generic oil pan or battery heaters. They are available on amazon
I personally do not need one where I live but have family in Maine and New Hampshire that say for smaller engines the aftermarket stick on or magnetic ones are sufficient

· Registered
2015 Renegade Latitude 2.4
42 Posts
If your oil pan is steel and not aluminum, go with a magnetic oil pan heater. I've installed a lower radiator hose heater on my S10 and can report a decent result. Both are not as good as a block heater. On my 2007 Sebring, the block heater was a cartridge type element that you unbolted a bolt in the front of the block and then threaded it in. If they have one available for your motor that is the route I would go.
$1000.00 is way outta line IMO. You can, with moderate skills and research, do any of the above for less than $200.00... and that's being generous. A small, local garage would charge between that and $400.00 maybe.

EDIT... Yeah, I don't think one is available for a 1.3 as I'm having no luck even cross referencing Kat's catalog. It's either for a different engine or out of stock. If you are willing to put up with the mess of an antifreeze drain and fill I recommended a lower hose heater provided you can get it upwards facing to the water pump. A magnetic pan heater would be my No.2 option if the pan isn't aluminum. Anything you can do will be an improvement over nothing. That and a charged battery.

I honestly wonder why these aren't standard for parts Iowa and north.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts