Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks

I just wrote 10,000Km with my new Renegade (thankfully without issues so far), so I though I'd give a brief review:

Pros:
- A stable and powerful engine, offering quick acceleration when needed
- The engine is also quieter than I expected
- Smooth gear shifts
- Very enjoyable driving when the engine is warm.

Cons:
- Takes a while to warm up, until then the engine feels a bit rough
- Don't be fooled by the cute looks and the small engine size; with its weight and 170hp this is a proper mini gas guzzler. If you live in a hilly area like I do, you are looking at an average consumption of 10lt/km. On the motorway, do not expect anything lower than 7.5lt/km, unless you are willing to drive like a snail. The official consumption figure of 6.9lt/km is pure science fiction.
- This engine doesn't agree with (very) high octane fuel. Anything above 97 (commonly found here in Europe) and transmission becomes a bit jerky.

Other non engine related impressions:
- This car has REAL off-road capabilities. of course it is not a Wrangler, but it is not a typical SUV either. As soon as you exit the road it comes alive and behaves unbelievably well on rocky, muddy or other rough terrain. The suspensions are excellent to say the least. At some point I found myself driving though a "road" that was basically a mini version of the Grand Canyon by mistake, and the Renegade passed with flying colours without even breaking a sweat.
- People complain about aerodynamic noise. Yes there is some, but the engine is so quiet that the overall noise level in the cabin is low.
- The aircon is excellent. Very effective in cooling the cabin, without blowing directly on you.

Overall, so far I am very happy with my car. In an ideal world fuel consumption would be lower (at €1.7/lt here in Greece it is not a laughing matter...), but with 170hp and 4WD capability, something has to give. In the future I may consider converting to LNG.
Happy to answer any questions if anyone is interested in this model.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good stuff ! mine's on 12000 k & running sweet . I'm getting 28.8 mpg overall according to the display , 29.9 on my current tank full . Its does have a nice turn of speed , particularly after a remap and with the pedal box installed , very lively ! Gearbox changes smoothly and holds in 9th above 60 mph now it's been 'tuned' . Its comfortable & fun to drive , I'm very pleased with my 75th . I don't notice much wind noise on the motorway , seems quite peaceful to me at a good speed , also with the MySky panels removed and the clip in wind deflector & the Alien sunshade fitted it's pretty calm and serene when opened up . I'd buy another Renny when the time comes .

·
Registered
76 Posts
- The aircon is excellent. Very effective in cooling the cabin, without blowing directly on you.
I kinda disagree about the aircon. It does cool the cabin (which is a blessing in a typical Greek summer) BUT to do so it you have to put it in a higher setting and that produces alot of noice from the vents. Also i cannot understand why you bought a 1.4 petrol and not a 2.0 diesel, given the price of fuel in our awesome country. I get 6.2l/100km an pay arround 1.4E/l (atm). Bu other than that i fully agree with your review, especially on the off road part, the Renny is a beast compared with same class SUV's tackling mud and rocks with ease, provided that you have decent tyres. My only concern is that, being a FCA vehicle, the cabin does start to fall apart at some point, or that the electrics give way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes, it's true that the aircon is a bit noisy. It was a hard decision between the 2.0 diesel engine and the one I ended up buying...In the end I chose the 1.4 petrol mainly for the following reasons:
- I wanted the "Limited" trim and the diesel version was substantially more expensive to buy
- Higher road tax due to the 2.0 engine size.
- I wanted both automatic and 4x4 and the only other available option was the Trailhawk at that time, which again was almost +€9Κ
- Potential future resale. With all the talk about emissions and cities planning to ban diesel engines following the VW scandal, I was hesitant to go for diesel. However, I must admit that I miss the diesel torque sometimes...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Pros:
- A stable and powerful engine, offering quick acceleration when needed
- The engine is also quieter than I expected
- Smooth gear shifts

Happy to answer any questions if anyone is interested in this model.
We have different opinions on these three items:

ENGINE: Mine is 1.4T and has no quick acceleration for there is a lag time even if you floor it. So the 1.4 engine lacks of power in comparison to Toyota, Honda or Subaru, or Hyundai.
QUIETER: The engine is not quiet either, it is rough even if it's already warm. On winter time it's worst in comparison to Toyota, Honda or Subaru, or Hyundai.
SMOOTH GEAR: A loaner I drove was so rough, it can not decide what gear it chooses at times so it jerks. Mine is stickshift, and so it's smooth shifting to my liking..

For the rest of your previous comments that I deleted, I agree.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have different opinions on these three items:

ENGINE: Mine is 1.4T and has no quick acceleration for there is a lag time even if you floor it. So the 1.4 engine lacks of power in comparison to Toyota, Honda or Subaru, or Hyundai.

For the rest of your previous comments that I deleted, I agree.
Is it the same (170HP) engine?

·
Registered
14 Posts
In the states the 1.4t is rated at 160HP and 184lb ft of torque but I believe its the same engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts