Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
'15 Renegade 1.4T 6MT
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have some concerns and questions about our Renegade. Engine oil consumption, book says 400g per 1000km is normal

So that's roughly 0.5L per 620 miles.

I just checked the level on the car and it wasn't even registering on the dipstick. Put 1L in and now we are in the safe zone.

Car done 2000+ ish miles since oil change. (I did the change so I know the right amount went in) So on paper.... I'm below the usage. 1L per 2000 miles instead of the suggested 1L per 1200 miles ish.

How scared should I be 馃槀.

Maybe I should add some context that we had a pretty major problem with the car back in April where it would continually stall out. Turns out, very low on oil. Topped up and then once back from the trip I did the oil change mentioned above.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Registered
2017 Latitude 4x4 1.4 Alpine White, 2018 Latitude 4x4 1.4 Omaha Orange
I don't know if the UK renegades are anything like the US renegades but full is 4 quarts or 3.78 liters. It should register as overfull even though it is just filled. I have 0 loss of oil in 4000 miles with both of my renegades with the 1.4. I would suspect maybe a leak somewhere or maybe a turbo seal allowing it to burn oil as the 1.4 isn't known to burn oil as far as I know. If you had the 2.4 , I'd say get an IV bag of oil for it lol.

Registered
'15 Renegade 1.4T 6MT
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if the UK renegades are anything like the US renegades but full is 4 quarts or 3.78 liters. It should register as overfull even though it is just filled. I have 0 loss of oil in 4000 miles with both of my renegades with the 1.4. I would suspect maybe a leak somewhere or maybe a turbo seal allowing it to burn oil as the 1.4 isn't known to burn oil as far as I know. If you had the 2.4 , I'd say get an IV bag of oil for it lol.
Thanks for this, yes they are the same although I believe we are using different oil to you guys, 0W30 and I think it's 5W40 in the US?

I'm pretty certain it's not leaking, but it could be a turbo seal for all I know!! As for them generally not burning oil, I'm not sure that's the case - after digging around a bit the same engine is used in a couple of Alfas and Fiats and can do the same thing as this!

I do actually think they might suffer from the same issue as the 2.4 you guys got, but because there are less of them it's not as well known!

Registered
I鈥檒l bet you the intercooler is heavy with oil. I鈥檇 properly remove the hose from either end and check for a lot of oil. I鈥檝e the same vehicle and it does not burn oil. But the lower part of the air charge tube does get slick with oil now that there鈥檚 100k miles On the turbo seals. Just one easy place to check.

Registered
'15 Renegade 1.4T 6MT
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I鈥檒l bet you the intercooler is heavy with oil. I鈥檇 properly remove the hose from either end and check for a lot of oil. I鈥檝e the same vehicle and it does not burn oil. But the lower part of the air charge tube does get slick with oil now that there鈥檚 100k miles On the turbo seals. Just one easy place to check.
Thank you for this suggestion. I will have a look in there when I get the chance over this upcoming long weekend and see what it looks like! If oil in there, turbo seal(s) gone?

Registered
Thank you for this suggestion. I will have a look in there when I get the chance over this upcoming long weekend and see what it looks like! If oil in there, turbo seal(s) gone?
Oil seal's going bad. Oil fog after the turbo is not catastrophic. Pooled oil after the turbo and down in the air charge tube is various degrees of bad. If all that oil is in the air cooler, it might explain the engine cutting off, chocking to death. But that's in theory. I believe this is a cutaway of our turbo. Garrett 1440? If the shaft has no wiggle, should easily be rebuildable. But in any case you're losing way too much oil somewhere to ignore. Go find it! Happy hunting. Take a pic!
Font Engineering Machine Auto part Cylinder

Registered
Aha thank you! And I appreciate the explanation and the diagram. I have been working on our cars for a few years now but never a turbo car until this one, so it's something new to learn.
Hi there, did you find the cause for your oil consumption鈥 my Fiat 1.4 also consumes a lot of oil and I at a loss as to where it is going

1 - 10 of 10 Posts