Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone had there 1.4 petrol mapped / tuned through the ECU (not the add on chips). I'm thinking about getting this done for our 4x4 170 version so any advice or recommendations on where to get it done would be great.

How have you found the car after the map? Big difference? Car transformed or just modest improvements? Better torque? Fuel economy improved? Pulls like a train?

There are some chip type tunes available too but not so keen on these. As I understand, all they do is fool the ECU into adding more fuel for better response but doesn't actually change anything else.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
HI DK a PM has been sent regarding the chip.

I had a Vauxhall Vectra 2.0L diesel automatic that was remapped and it was extremely fast. Enough so that I had to hold on with 2 hands upon accelerating till it reached 70mph on the motorway sliproads.

Now I am not an expert by any means and was informed that lower sized engines can be remapped but not as efficiently as the higher sized engines. ie remapping a 2 litre engine gains more benefit from a 1.0 litre though I see yours is a 1.4l. If anything at the bare minimum I would expect a 1.4 to behave like a 1.6L. In other words FAF (fast as Freck)

I know the guys in here are better enabled to assist you so come on you guys. Get that keyboard rattling :D:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks mate, I already saw your posts about the chip but it's for a diesel which seem to be much easier to tune, and with more places selling the chips. Results from a diesel seem to be a lot more dramatic than a petrol too.

I've found a few places that sell a chip for the petrol 1.4 (racechips is one) but not too keen on chipping. It's a much easier option for sure but all they seem to do is add more fuel and adjust the air sensor / turbo whereas a remap can tweak lots of other settings.

·
Super Moderator
1,558 Posts
Check out any of the reputable Alfa tuners in the UK. (www.alfaowner.com is a good place to ask.)

Reactions: Oggy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone had there 1.4 petrol mapped / tuned through the ECU (not the add on chips). I'm thinking about getting this done for our 4x4 170 version so amy advice or recommendations on where to get it done would be great.

How have you found the car after the map? Big difference? Car transformed or just neglibile improvements? Better torque? Fuel economy improved? Pulls like a train?

There are some chip type tunes available too but not so keen on these. As I understand, all they do is fool the ECU into adding more fuel for better response but doesn't actually change anything else.

Hi Dark Horse,

Did you get anywhere with mapping/tuning your 1.4 170?
I have the same engine and am also looking to do the same.

Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi mate,

I thought I had replied to my own thread :confused:

Yes I did get it done and I actually got to try both the remap and the tuning box. Here's the story.

Firstly, if you have keyless entry, the remap is more tricky and you might want to consider a tuning box instead. The reason for this is because the OBD port of the Jeep is real slow when reading and the keyless ignition auto switches off after 30 mins so the remap process is more difficult as it doesn't have enough time to first read the stock factory map.

Connecting directly to the ECU is also possible as it's easily accessible just below the windscreen in the engine bay, and doing it that way is much quicker as there's no communications bus to slow it down. However, for some reason, this didn't work. The software wouldn't connect directly to the ECU (maybe because it's too new?) so that left the third and final option which is to physically remove the ECU and open it up connecting it to the board. The remapping company advised against this as the Jeep's ECU has a special resin / bond or something that makes opening it up and closing it again a real PITA.

That meant the only way to remap was to go through the OBD port as originally planned and find a method to keep the electrics on for long enough to read the stock map. You can do this on a keyless entry model with auto transmission by shifting it into N. This keeps the electrics and everything on without auto-shut off after 30 mins which gives enough time for the software to finish reading the stock map (about 45-50 mins).

To actually upload and write the remap is much quicker (about 15 mins) so the slow OBD port is not the issue here. However, what we did with mine is to upload the remap with the gear still in N. This is because the stock map was read whilst it was in N so it made sense to apply the remap under the same conditions.

The actual performance after the remap was good. It was more responsive, had a nice throaty growl and improved low down torque which was the main aim. The MultiAir engine likes to be revved and peak torque is reached at about 2,700 RPM but with the remap, this brought it down to just under 2,400 RPM.

There were some nasty side effects though :mad: :

1. The engine management light was always flashing even though there were no error codes reported when plugging in the reader. Clearing everything and doing a "reset" did not fix it. Neither did a battery reset.

2. Start Stop permanently disabled i.e. the Start Stop stopped working and light came on to say it was switched off - pressing the button would not switch it back on again.

3. Putting the gearbox into manual mode no longer showed the upshift or downshift indicator.

4. The Ecodrive software no longer showed anything for the gearbox so instead of being green it was black as if it was switched off (probably related to point 3).

All these issues were caused by the remap being applied whilst the gear was in N (as advised by the remap mapping company) so it triggered some kind of harmless comms error to do with the transmission. It may be that if the remap was applied whilst in P, it would be absolutely fine.

To fix these issues, the problem was that applying the old stock map didn't work, even when the gear was in P so it still had the same issues. Long story short, the software team ended up providing a special custom adaptive module that was developed for the mapping program and applied to my particular Jeep. This reverted the remap back to the stock map, and also got rid of all the side effects.

At this point, I wanted to do the remap again as the company now knew what to do to avoid any issues (don't apply the remap whilst the gear is in N) but then lockdown happened and it would have been difficult to get the remap and software vendor support.

That left the trouble free alternative which is the tuning box that was offered on trial because of the remap problems. Wasn't too keen on initially this but I have to say it was really good, much better than expected. Connecting it was an absolute doddle and took all of 15 minutes (unscrew engine cover to get access to the leads).

The tuning module is a proper microchip controlled box which changes both air and fuel intake so it's not just dumping more petrol in. The box has 5 settings but on the default setting of 3, I didn't notice much difference, certainly wasn't as good as the remap.

However, changing it up to setting 4 and it was fantastic, actually much better than the remap. Hugely improved acceleration (the 170 is no slouch) and pull, feeling like a much bigger engine plus it can be removed as needed leaving no trace. In comparison, I'd say the remap was more like a 3.5 setting. Haven't gone beyond 4 on the box as it's plenty.

I would try the tuning box first but if you decide to go for a remap, make sure you go with a reputable company and be aware of the process to read the stock firmware with the keyless entry timeout. The firm I used were absolutely fantastic and very experienced. They really knew their kung fu with support direct from the remappers and software suppliers meaning they could pick up the phone and talk direct with the companies who actually make and supply all the kit. That's exactly what you need if it doesn't work as expected which is why they were able to develop a custom module to revert the changes. If it'd been a bloke with laptop who's just following instructions or guessing what to do next, I'd have been stuffed.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

How are you otherwise enjoying your Limited 170?

·
Registered
2 Posts
[Lots of useful stuff]
Wow, thanks for the long, detailed and quick reply!

Other than the parking sensors failing (possibly water ingress somewhere), my 170 has been very good in the six months that I’ve had it, but just not quite enough power for my liking.

I do have keyless entry, so remapping might not be the option that I take. I haven’t liked the idea of tuning boxes in the past, but

Which tuning company did you use? Them seem to have been very helpful for your situation.

Cheers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The remap was supplied by Quantum Tuning. Are you anywhere near London, Surrey or Kent?

The tuning box is Blue Spark Automotive and they often have 10% off deals (currently one on eBay) plus you have 28 days approval to try it.

If you go down the remap route, there is also the option of using somewhere with a rolling road like JR Tuning if you want before and after performance readouts but this is more expensive and I wouldn't want to thrash my car just to get the actual figures.

With the remap, there are three parties involved:

1. The company you pay to do the remap - this is the really important one so pick a good reputable company that knows what they're doing in case the support is needed. This is the only company you'll be dealing with.

2. The company that provides the remap - Quantum Tuning in my case, this is the team that takes the stock factory map provided by your remapper and configures it for the new remap, whether it's through the OBD port or direct through the ECU.

3. The company that provides the software - there are several so it will vary depending on what software your remapper uses. These are the people who actually write the software to communicate with the ECU (they don't know anything about the actual remap itself), and in my case were responsible for writing the custom module to sort everything out.

I would try the tuning box first as it can be fitted quickly and you have a few weeks to try it out. If you do decide on the remap, just let your remapper know about the ignition timeout beforehand and maybe they have an updated software package that can be used to connect to the ECU direct without removal (and which is much quicker to read as there is no communications bus to interface with).

Keep us posted (y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts