Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1.4L 6 speed not as smooth - help?

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  CLShifter 
#1 ·
I got my Renny at the end of November, the transmission shifted like butter, no resistance whatsoever! I was absolutely floored. However, now, after about 1k miles its not shifting as smoothly. I'm use to transmissions breaking in, instead of out. Anyone know whats going on, or did i do something wrong? I would die to have that back, or at least know wtf i did :(

#6 ·
Did you by any chance have the defroster on? The A/C will automatically turn on when the defrost/defog is turned on. Once that A/C compressor starts running, the extra load on the engine will change the shifting characteristics. The rpm's will drop more quickly when the clutch is depressed, requiring a faster shift for a smooth "catch" on the clutch uptake. You can play with the manner in which you balance depressing the clutch with letting off the accelerator to get a little more rpm "float" if you're finding that, by the time the shift is complete, the revs have dropped below where they will be when the clutch is engaged in the new gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.