Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is focused on the carbon buildup on the valves of the 1.4L Renegade.

I have used one can of "CRC GDI IVD Intake Valve and Turbo Cleaner". First cleaning was at 80k miles.

Prior to the service on cold starts the engine was misfiring until the check engine light would come on, and colder days were worse (40⁰ and below). The misfiring cleared up after the engine warmed up, only sometimes I would have to shut it off and turn it back on again. The exhaust constantly smelled like carbon chunks were combusting.

After I ran one can of the CRC through, only on the cold mornings would it misfire and throw the CEL. I have never checked the codes due to the CEL turning itself off. Since the warmer weather the misfiring seems to have cleared up, but there is still a strong odor from the exhaust.

I would like to know if anyone has used either of the following products, and if they were successful or not.

1. TriboTEX Nano Ceramic Oil Additive
2. Seafoam
3. CRC Intake Valve and Turbo Cleaner

Any and all advice would be helpful. Thank you!

Ryan & J.R.

·
Registered
2017 Latitude 4x4 1.4 Alpine White, 2018 Latitude 4x4 1.4 Omaha Orange
123 Posts
If you have carbon on your valves , you aren’t driving it hard enough lol. Also plugs are only good for 30k or so on the 1.4 … I’d look into other reasons for the misfires . Additives usually don’t do much , our engines run fuel over valves as opposed to gdi engines , so carbon isn’t usually an issue.

·
Registered
150 Posts
What makes you think you have carbon on the valves?

·
Registered
99 Posts
check your plugs and coils then clean your air oil separator. take it off of the engine ,unscrew the pcv valve and spray the box in every hole with brake cleaner a few times .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts