Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I really need some help here please!

This is on our 2015 1.4 Multiair Manual car in the UK. 77,600 miles.

We are currently away in the Jeep, away for 4 days and just got here today. The journey here was nice and easy really, until it wasn't!

It started with the head unit / radio dying intermittently, which actually got more and more regular. Then we had an actual, very brief, error message "sound system unavailable". Before that went and everything worked for a bit. The next few miles I noticed the audio cut out for a second and the mute symbol pop up on the screen at the same time, this happened a handful of times.

Then at a roundabout the whole car died and wouldn't start at all for about one minute.

Total power loss, all screens dead before coming back on with "stop start unavailable" on the dash. After a few times turning the key it did start again. Only to do exactly the same thing at another roundabout a few miles later.

Turning the key didn't get it to start, you just hear the stater going and going but nothing else is happening. Take key out try again and pump the throttle a lot and it eventually started.

This same thing happened a few more times each harder to start than the last. Before we finally made it to where we needed to be. Always happens when slowing down to a few mph or a complete stop at a junction etc.

Not a single warning light other than the "stop start unavailable" or "sound system unavailable" ever popped up.

Once unpacked I disconnected the battery negative, thank god for the quick release as I have no tools with me at all. Doing this made the car behave like normal again for a mile or two.

Now what's happening is that almost every time the clutch is in it'll stall and then restart continuously until you release the clutch!

If anyone has any troubleshooting suggestions, please let me know. I'm aware of this not being an isolated issue with the Renegade but I've also never seen a solution for any of the above.

I am also thinking we might have two separate issues here. One related to head unit and such. One with stalling.

Thanks,

Ed

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try a different battery. I know it sounds too simple but try a different battery.
Honestly I'm happy to try that once we make it home. Where we are right now is a bit out in the sticks!

Im also pretty damn confident in the battery honestly, as the issue has evolved a bit.
Now what it's doing is if the clutch is in or you're out of gear rolling to a stop it'll stall and restart repeatedly. And it has had to do that a lot and hasn't struggled at all to do so on the battery.

That said, I'll see about getting one once we are back to test it.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude 2.4L FWD
110 Posts
Hope fully your transmission hasn't gone.

If you are out in the wild, try disconnecting battery for a few hours, flash the headlights a few times to discharge any residual, then connect again.

That will reset the ECU and BCM, hopefully that works.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hope fully your transmission hasn't gone.

If you are out in the wild, try disconnecting battery for a few hours, flash the headlights a few times to discharge any residual, then connect again.

That will reset the ECU and BCM, hopefully that works.
I'm pretty confident transmission is all good.

I've disconnected the battery a little bit ago and will just leave it off overnight. Who knows what tomorrow will bring!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought I better update this....

Was WAY low on oil. I put 1L in after fighting the car all the way to a petrol station on holiday. Completely solved combined with the battery disconnection for a few hours. Pretty sure we did indeed have a couple of issues, one being the oil and the other being electrical.
Electrical problem has not resurfaced since this trip, we have been back and the car working fine for over a month now.
As soon as we got back I did an oil change, a little less than 3L came out. Which means we were likely down to just 2L or so before I put the top up 1L in!! :(

I'll be keeping a closer eye on the oil levels from now on. Last change was done by a Jeep/Fiat dealer for the previous owner before we got the car, I'm not confident it was actually carried out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts