Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2105 4x4 Latitude with the 9-speed. It seems that the default cruising RPM is around 1500 RPM, which I think is a bit low. If I'm on the highway cruising at 1500 and go to manual and downshift one gear, which puts it at about 2000 RPM, it runs much smoother. Plus, when cruising at 70mph, sometimes it will be in 8th gear, sometimes in 9th.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think it is a problem with the engine not developing enough torque at 1500 rpm. One would think that with computer controlled variable valve timing you could program it to produce more torque at a lower rpm.

·
Super Moderator
3,378 Posts
There's nothing wrong. This is the result of trying to make it more fuel efficient for CAFE.

Jeep isn't the only manufacturer targeting a low cruising RPM by a long shot. In general, such a strategy makes the engine run rougher.

As fro the gear, at 70mph you are in that zone where 8th could be right or 9th could be right depending on traffic and terrain.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Yeah, it's almost comical when travelling at 65 mph (highest speed limit near me) and flooring it in 9th gear. . . . Nothing happens.

But my Trailhawk does run smoothly at 65 on mostly flat roads in 9th gear and can get nearly 30 mpg. As soon as a hill comes along, I need 8th, 7th, or even 6th to maintain speed.

But as much as I wished the 2.4 had more power (like 100 hp more), it's good enough for daily tasks.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Similar with the 1.4 turbo (140hp UK) 6sp manual. The highest max speed near to me is 60 mph, which is the A465 heads of the valleys road. If I am stuck behind a slow moving vehicle at 45-50 mph, downshifting is necessary as there ain't enough torque in 6th gear. The road is very up and down and it plays havoc with the average mpg figure.

I know it ain't the 9sp auto slush box, but us manual drivers have similar issues, so I can appreciate where you are coming from.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Similar with the 1.4 turbo (140hp UK) 6sp manual. The highest max speed near to me is 60 mph, which is the A465 heads of the valleys road. If I am stuck behind a slow moving vehicle at 45-50 mph, downshifting is necessary as there ain't enough torque in 6th gear. The road is very up and down and it plays havoc with the average mpg figure.

I know it ain't the 9sp auto slush box, but us manual drivers have similar issues, so I can appreciate where you are coming from.
I've got the 1.4 turbo manual, and I normally leave it in 5th if I'm cruising at 60 mph unless I'm on a long flat stretch. Out on the Interstate is where 6th gets most of its use, where traffic is running 70+.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Agreed I as well have the 6spd, I don't bother with 6th unless over 65mph.

But it does perform well on level roads down to 55mph where I can still punch it, and then the boost will get the car back up to what I need still in 6th. I average 30.5MPG on the highway

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine usually won't go into 9 gear until i hit around 70 but the slightest touch of the accelerator it ends up in 7th or 8 the dealer told me that the transmission will generally adapt to they way you drive as time goes on i mostly use manual mode if I'm doing 55 and under to keep it from slugging and it's a better ride with the 1st to second slug shift i call it sucks when its cold so the way to avoid it i jus twist the 4wheel drive selection to snow and it starts out in second gear and you really cant tell the difference and if i remember correctly if you leave it in auto and push the lock up button it will also start in second without selecting a particular mode the dealer is supposed to be doing a computer update Tuesday because of the high rpm on startup doesn't drop down for sometimes 15 minutes while idling at about 1250 rpms and it's also idling at about 900 rpm when it finally drops down

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi Dan, welcome to the forum. The Renegade doesn't usually stay in 9th gear very long as you mentioned. I use the auto stick feature a lot and enjoy it. I found it to be smoother in auto stick also as you can downshift on a hill before the automatic will. 15 minutes is a long time before the engine will idle down, I haven't heard that mentioned before about the Renegades. I hope your update fixes your problem.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
W E L C O M E ! ! ! to the forum.

Mine will use 9th when cruising on the flats at around 60 MPH. Throw a little wind at it or a small incline and it will down shift.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts