Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just reached 1000 trouble free miles as of today on my TH but it does seem like I'm not getting sticker gas mileage seems to be getting about 18.4

:ReneBlueWave:

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I have a little over 1,300 miles on mine. Not one bit of trouble so far; I hope it stays that way. I get around 24 mpg around town and close to 28 on the highway. The speed limit on the main highway is 65 mph. I would get closer to 30 mpg if I drove at 55 mph.

And this little 2.4L engine is quite peppy once you get it wound up. For me to be satisfied with the power of the Renegade is amazing since my other car has nearly 500 hp. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm at about 1700 miles. Everything has been good, but I get around 18-19 miles combined with about 50/50 highway city driving. The gas mileage is my only complaint so far. I have even been lighter on the gas pedal than normal.
Are you using premium gasoline?
I've been using regular 87 octane as that's what the manual calls for.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've been using regular 87 octane as that's what the manual calls for.
IIRC the turbo stares premium and the 2.4 engine states regular gas. I read somewhere that using premium gas when not recommended does not gain any performance or mileage.
I am looking forward to more status reports for 1000 miles from drivers on their Trailhawks.

·
Registered
610 Posts
IIRC the turbo stares premium and the 2.4 engine states regular gas. I read somewhere that using premium gas when not recommended does not gain any performance or mileage.
It doesn't. The engine management simply compensates by adjusting ignition timing. There are no gains, but make your wallet lighter.

It's a practice carried over from the carburetor days where it could make a difference if the carbs are not adjusted properly for lower octane gas. No longer applies today with advanced electronic ignition.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm nearing 3000 on mine and just took a 700 mile each way trip. Averaged 25.4 on the way down (on Memorial Day Sat with tons of traffic) and 27.4 on the way home with almost all smooth sailing. Speeds were a consistent 65 - 80mph on I-81 and I-95. 87 octane gas.

The factory 30.3 average had gone down to about 23, but is back up to just under 25. Before this trip, the mileage was about 60/40 City/Highway.

What's interesting to do, is to go to the full MPG that shows it over the life of the car and has the meter to show what you're getting right then...that tells you if it's your driving habits, or the car itself. I went from a lighter more powerful car so my city mileage is pretty bad as I STOMP on the gas. When I peek at it, it's usually around 18 when I'm driving like that. When driving around 45mph on my commute, it's about 24mpg and when cruising at like 60 it's about 28.

Have to read up on the forum about 9th gear. NEVER paid any attention to it before, but when I was doing 75, on cruise control, I slapped the stick over to the faux manual mode and saw I was in 8th so bumped it up to 9th...and the car instantly went down to 71mph...while cruise was still set for 75. Only left it in gear for about 10sec before worrying I might mess something up, so went back to full auto mode.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm nearing 3000 on mine and just took a 700 mile each way trip. Averaged 25.4 on the way down (on Memorial Day Sat with tons of traffic) and 27.4 on the way home with almost all smooth sailing. Speeds were a consistent 65 - 80mph on I-81 and I-95. 87 octane gas.

The factory 30.3 average had gone down to about 23, but is back up to just under 25. Before this trip, the mileage was about 60/40 City/Highway.

What's interesting to do, is to go to the full MPG that shows it over the life of the car and has the meter to show what you're getting right then...that tells you if it's your driving habits, or the car itself. I went from a lighter more powerful car so my city mileage is pretty bad as I STOMP on the gas. When I peek at it, it's usually around 18 when I'm driving like that. When driving around 45mph on my commute, it's about 24mpg and when cruising at like 60 it's about 28.

Have to read up on the forum about 9th gear. NEVER paid any attention to it before, but when I was doing 75, on cruise control, I slapped the stick over to the faux manual mode and saw I was in 8th so bumped it up to 9th...and the car instantly went down to 71mph...while cruise was still set for 75. Only left it in gear for about 10sec before worrying I might mess something up, so went back to full auto mode.
I reset both MPG "meters" at every fill up. I also manually caculate the mileage. I still only get 18 and on good weeks 19 combined. I'm actually taking it in tomorrow to see of there's anything that can be done about it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I reset both MPG "meters" at every fill up. I also manually caculate the mileage. I still only get 18 and on good weeks 19 combined. I'm actually taking it in tomorrow to see of there's anything that can be done about it.

Please let me know what service says about your mpg

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think a big thing people here need to take into consideration is 2wd MPG vs 4wd MPG. There is a 2-3 MPG difference between both types.

I've racked up 2700 miles so far after putting 300 miles in two days helping the fiance buy a used car. I've had it for two months as of this past weekend.

Trailhawk here, so obvious differences in MPG. On the Highway I tend to average around 24-26 now, but in the city, I get more like 19-21. I keep my tires around 40-41 PSI, so when it has been warm, they'll get to right around 42-43 (The max PSI on our stock Goodyear SR-A's is 44, so cutting it close..). I've noticed I took around close to a 1 MPG hit since I added my roof rack and cargo basket, but it is what it is.

I happened to be near the dealer I bought my Trailhawk from on Saturday and lots of people loved it and the cargo basket. Apparently I'm the only Trailhawk they've had and sold so far, one of the salesmen was like "They come like that? Why don't we have more of those?"

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'll report back on what the dealer says.

Please let me know what service says about your mpg
I think a big thing people here need to take into consideration is 2wd MPG vs 4wd MPG. Is everyone posting in a Trailhawk or a model with 4wd or are they a 2wd model? There is a 2-3mpg difference between both types.

I've racked up 2700 miles so far after putting 300 miles in two days helping the fiance buy a used car. I've had it for two months as of this past weekend.

Trailhawk here, so obvious differences in MPG. On the Highway I tend to average around 24-26 now, but in the city, I get more like 19-21. I keep my tires around 40-41, so when it has been warm, they'll get to right around 42-43 (The max PSI on our stock Goodyear SR-A's is 44, so cutting it close...). I've noticed I took around close to a 1mpg hit since I added my roof rack and cargo basket, but it is what it is.

I happened to be near the dealer I bought my Trailhawk from on Saturday and lots of people loved it and the cargo basket. Apparently I'm the only Trailhawk they've had and sold so far, one of the salesmen was like "They come like that? Why don't we have more of those?"
I have a trailhawk. I still was expecting to see avg mpg above 20. I'm heavier footed I've got as low as 17mpg combined 50/50 driving on a tank.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a trailhawk. I still was expecting to see avg mpg above 20. I'm heavier footed I've got as low as 17mpg combined 50/50 driving on a tank.
I haven't seen that bad yet. My 50/50 is around 21-22 if I'm lucky. I can see City driving really hurting us for MPG with 4wd, but I'm still trying to figure out when the Active Drive system is deciding to disengage the rear axle. You can obviously tell by tranny noise if 4wd is still on or not, but it's tricky at times to figure out when it is wanting to do it.

I've been trying out the autostick more to get a feel for when the tranny is shifting and what gears are best for certain speeds and MPG.

·
Registered
96 Posts
So I took my trailhawk to the dealership this morning and they told me they couldn't find anything wrong. The service advisor stated that the break in period is 5000 miles and after that point they could run some sort of gas consumption test. Sounds like bs to me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I took my trailhawk to the dealership this morning and they told me they couldn't find anything wrong. The service advisor stated that the break in period is 5000 miles and after that point they could run some sort of gas consumption test. Sounds like bs to me.

Thanks for letting me know how it went guess i have alot of driving to do then lol

·
Registered
96 Posts

Thanks for letting me know how it went guess i have alot of driving to do then lol
They basically did nothing. I'm kind of irritated that they didn't even put any effort forward. I've contacted jeep about the issue and I am waiting to hear back from someone.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hello, we have only about 350mi at this time though getting around 18mpg. Mostly city driving, to be sure a lot of time spent idleing as we are still not familiar with the 6.5 NAV and pairing of the I6. Love the AC and dual sych. The premium interior is very nice, we leave the AC on Auto still would like to get a little better MPG. Remote Start is a hit and miss as Im not sure if were using the FOB correctly. Silver Trail Hawk and loving it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.