Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sad day when your new 1999 Grand Cherokee get 15 MPG and your 1 year old 2015 Renegade get 13 MPG. I guess that what you get when you have a Lemon for a brand new car......

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have had mine 6 days now. I have made 2 - two-hour round trips and the rest is my 15-20 minute one-way commute to work and around town driving.

I started at 19-20. I paid close attention to my driving and now am up to 23.8. That's after 6 days. Typically I drive more of the 2 hour round trips per week. It seems to slowly continue to climb.

I'm sorry you are not having a better experience.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
13 mpg is sad. There has to be something wrong. I have averaged over 27 mpg in a little over 7,000 miles in my Trailhawk (yes, I check every tank).

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Step one. Look at your foot.

The 2.4 dumps more fuel than I would expect for an NA engine when you hit the accelerator. It's surprising how easily I can get it down to 15-16mpg by driving aggressively. On the other hand, I can do about 19.5-20.5 in largely bad city traffic by mildly modifying my driving habits. To ease up on the aggressive acceleration. I also don't have much in the way of hills to contend with.

13mpg is low, but odds are it's you and not something broken. Granted, the renegade is not set up with sipping gas being priority one, or even priority three or four as far as I can tell.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Yeah, clearly something is and has been wrong with his. Not sure why they are giving him such a hard time. I've seen a couple instances of buybacks happen here so his dealer or Jeep refusing to do something is strange.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Yeah, clearly something is and has been wrong with his. Not sure why they are giving him such a hard time. I've seen a couple instances of buybacks happen here so his dealer or Jeep refusing to do something is strange.
There were buybacks, but they slowed down. Once you lemon law, things go very official and not very make nice. Which we've also seen.

Being objective, there is also the distinct possibility that customer behavior has made it clear that it is best to leave things to official channels. On the internet everyone says they are the most reasonable person, but just like everyone is a better than average driver, it just can't be true all the time. There are definitely things you can do that will get you put into the "talk to my lawyers or talk to the cops, but GTFO now" category of people.

Everyone I know who has pulled something like that never thought they were that person. That includes someone who needed to be bailed out over an issue that arose because getting a pound of liver pate' in 2 half pound containers was somehow ripping him off.

You can be completely in the right too, and still be the GTFO person.

There is also the possibility that the dealer is a problem for both the customer and FCA, and for FCA it is cheaper to just wait out the arbitration process than act through the dealer.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Wow. I was just griping about my 18.6 mpg that I've seen through my first tank. I don't know if that's still breaking in, the hills of PA doing it, or what. I don't drive agressive, so that's shouldn't be the problem, but I'm hoping it improves as I got this vehicle to be better on gas than my TJ, and what I thought would be close to what I was getting my 09 G6 that I traded in.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Wow. I was just griping about my 18.6 mpg that I've seen through my first tank. I don't know if that's still breaking in, the hills of PA doing it, or what. I don't drive agressive, so that's shouldn't be the problem, but I'm hoping it improves as I got this vehicle to be better on gas than my TJ, and what I thought would be close to what I was getting my 09 G6 that I traded in.
Yeah it's not going to hit the MPG of you G6 if it was the 4 banger. The G6 is FWD, less horsepower, and has a better CoD. The hills will hurt you a bit, the 2.4 dumps a surprising amount of fuel when it sees a significant delta in the computed load of the engine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a faulty transmission I've had tons of parts replaced on it already. I have just parked the renegade and have no longer been driving it.... I've gotten in an accident with it as well, because of it not shifting into drive. My court case is in June I'm just sitting waiting but it's so frustrating. If they gave me another renegade I'd be ecstatic, but that's not the case. I bought the 99 WJ so I could at less get to work when the thing was in the shop which is now about 10 times.... It's sat down for 4 months at the shop and now for the last week at the end of my drive way...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also it's not my drive, because i drive the same route every day and the WJ get 15 mpg it's rated for 18-20 mpg add 17 years of aging to that and 15mpg is spot on.... I got it to 17 today on the same drive. It's drive them back to back you will notice that my transmission is not right in the renegade. I know one is a 9 speed and other is a 4 speed but dang I shouldn't get thrown forward then slammed back into my seat when shifting threw the 1st-4 gears. Nor should it roll back 2-3 ft when shifting from reverse to drive. All my problems might not happen every day but they are there. An ovy I love jeeps if I didn't do u think I'd buy a 99 grand Cherokee... I know they product good cars just sometimes there's lemons.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yeah it's not going to hit the MPG of you G6 if it was the 4 banger. The G6 is FWD, less horsepower, and has a better CoD. The hills will hurt you a bit, the 2.4 dumps a surprising amount of fuel when it sees a significant delta in the computed load of the engine.
My G6 had the 3.5L V6 in it. Which is why I thought it'd be similar.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Get it out of 3rd gear and into Drive. I've got 11,400 Miles on my TH and get 30.4 on reasonably non hilly highway at
65-70 mph. I get 24.8 mpg in local traffic. Sounds like you desperately need a computer update.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
One thing I noticed in the recent weather is that if you have the vents set on either of the defogger settings for the windshield, you've got the ac running with no indicator. I figured the manual controls let you bypass that, as cars I have had that don't would light up the ac light if it was forced.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Get it out of 3rd gear and into Drive. I've got 11,400 Miles on my TH and get 30.4 on reasonably non hilly highway at
65-70 mph. I get 24.8 mpg in local traffic. Sounds like you desperately need a computer update.
As of march 1st my car is up to date. there were 3 updates that involed the IPC instrument panel control, anti lock breaks reprogramed, control Assembly IPC hvac. nothing for my transmission or driving controls.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sad day when your new 1999 Grand Cherokee get 15 MPG and your 1 year old 2015 Renegade get 13 MPG. I guess that what you get when you have a Lemon for a brand new car......
This could be normal depending on how you drive.

Do you have a manual? Do you normally drive up hills? Do you speed/floor it?

I have a 1.4 : 6 Speed Latitude and I average 30mpg on the highway and 20-24 in the city/uphills. If you press on it, usually go up hills and are late to switch gears I can totally see someone averaging 13mpg or ever less.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
As of march 1st my car is up to date. there were 3 updates that involed the IPC instrument panel control, anti lock breaks reprogramed, control Assembly IPC hvac. nothing for my transmission or driving controls.
What was your date of manufacture? Mine was 3-15, and there was most definitely a TCU update out there for it. The update got me about 1.2mpg better economy. I got the update back near the end of july.

Unless you mean a recent one, in which case they keep telling me no there isn't.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What was your date of manufacture? Mine was 3-15, and there was most definitely a TCU update out there for it. The update got me about 1.2mpg better economy. I got the update back near the end of july.

Unless you mean a recent one, in which case they keep telling me no there isn't.
Feb 2015. I have that one down I am up to date with all updates.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This could be normal depending on how you drive.

Do you have a manual? Do you normally drive up hills? Do you speed/floor it?

I have a 1.4 : 6 Speed Latitude and I average 30mpg on the highway and 20-24 in the city/uphills. If you press on it, usually go up hills and are late to switch gears I can totally see someone averaging 13mpg or ever less.
I have the 9 speed auto. I drive with couple hills in my daily drive. I have experienced the transmission not shifting at all going up hill to the point it was redlining. I do no floor it I drive quite laid back unless I am getting on to the high way and I need to speed up which is a nightmare as well...... im saying I drive the same drive as the renegade in the grand Cherokee and it get better MPG plus in u turns the GC doesn't holt itself to a stop like the renegade does. I have to do a u turn everyday to get to work.....

heres my YouTube page:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SirCraigory/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the 9 speed auto. I drive with couple hills in my daily drive. I have experienced the transmission not shifting at all going up hill to the point it was redlining. I do no floor it I drive quite laid back unless I am getting on to the high way and I need to speed up which is a nightmare as well...... im saying I drive the same drive as the renegade in the grand Cherokee and it get better MPG plus in u turns the GC doesn't holt itself to a stop like the renegade does. I have to do a u turn everyday to get to work.....

heres my YouTube page:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SirCraigory/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0
Just watched the video and holy ****, that is totally not normal. One would think youre riding a manual with the way that sounded. I am sorry, man. Totally sounds like a lemon. Will the dealership acknowledge that and grant you a new one? It is as clear as day that that is not normal.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.