Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
16" wheels on Latitude+?

Have a '16 Latitude, came with 17's, but would rather have the 16's. Is it possible? Not sure if my brakes would be any different and not allow clearance/etc.

Sorry if it's been asked, I'm on mobile and trying to figure the search part out lol.

· Registered
85 Posts
Sounds like the two of you need to meet somewhere in NE Oklahoma or SW Missouri, bringing a couple of floor jacks and two sets of jackstands...:D

Basically if you're off-road a lot, smaller wheels are advantageous because you can run a taller-sidewall tire. That taller-sidewall is both good for reducing the likelihood of the wheel rim directly contacting the ground, and to make that sidewall act a bit as tread when the tire is aired-down.

If you don't intend to go off-road much, handling on-pavement can be increased when the wheel size, relative to the total tire diameter, is increased. The sidewall doesn't deflect as much with turns. There is a limit, if the tire is too low-profile then it does not absorb the imperfections in the road well, and bad roads can lead to bent or broken wheels.

I'm a little surprised that the Trailhawk was designed with brakes that were different than the others such that the 16" doesn't fit, as I expect people that intend to offroad a lot would want the 16" wheel.

Reactions: Peejsefiw

· Registered
263 Posts
You can fit either or. You dudes should trade. I went with 16" standards bc as mentioned i plan on swapping my rubber out for something a smidge taller and wider. 225/ 70/ 16s A/T Ms . Bc i want my truck to be a bit more useable in snow and mud. If i wanted a more car like Rene then bigger wheels it is.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Completely agree with the reasons stated above. I hate the alloy and want black, so 16's are usually cheaper than 17's, tires for 16's are usually cheaper than 17's, and the advantages of additional sidewall as stated above.

However, with approximately 27" (stock) tires, it would have been more appropriate with 14's... (Ideal to keep your wheel diameter approximately half your overall tire diameter).

But it's not the 80's, the days of 13 and 14 inch rims is gone lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting. Mine came with 16's, and have been thing that 17's would better. I thought 17's would roll over potholes, etc., better. Can you explain?

I'm actually going to be in Illinois in 2 weeks lol, I've got 660 miles on the tires, I'd consider a trade! I'll be going through Quad Cities and Galesburg (an hour west of Peoria). Just sayin!

· Registered
79 Posts
If you have the smaller engine, otherwise get a wheel spacer.

I noticed on the jeep web site, where you can build a 4x4 latitude, that the 17" wheels automatically come with the 2.4 / 9 speed. If you switch to the 16" alloy wheels it switches the engine to the 1.4 and transmission to 6 speed manual as well as removing the tow package. So I assume the front brakes are also reduced in size. So if you have the larger engine in the latitude, like the trailhawk, you would most likely need to get a spacer for the 16" wheels to clear the larger front brake calipers. Unless you can find a special wheel that has a close to 90 degree angle from the offset to the rim to fit the brake.

This is my experience in fact, that the 16" Chevy HHR wheel does NOT fit without a spacer in the 2.4 / 9 speed latitude. Attached photo shows a 16" wheel on 2.4 / 9 latitude with calipers touching. My measurement found 3/8" more clearance is needed, so a 10 mm spacer and longer bolts (40 mm) or just go to 1" or larger spacer to bolt on with studs (hopefully the stock studs).

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.