Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... vehicle in over 20 years!

Hey Jeepsters ...Keeping short ...

I usually purchase new vehicle every 18 months or so. I had the itch for a new vehicle with over 6 vehicles on my radar. I really liked the look of the Jeep, but my perception of build quality, ride, blah blah blah, etc was holding me back. With that being said, I test drove Jeep first to eliminate from radar ... well guess what ... the Jeep made me eat my own words! After test drive ... I drove it home!

Like most of you, I read many tests and reviews to establish background for test drive. I will admit the vibration in steering wheel at idle is an eye-opener your first time! We all were down that road.

Reviews on tranny are all over the map. I really like how this tranny operates. Tranny will not 'HUNT' for gears! This was one of my fears being a nine speed. I have had other vehicles with 6 speeds that could NOT make up their mind at 'gun-point' as to what gear it should be in! UGH!

All-in-all 1600 miles on clock ... no complaints ... waiting for snow!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts

I usually purchase new vehicle every 18 months or so. I had the itch for a new vehicle with over 6 vehicles on my radar. I really liked the look of the Jeep, but my perception of build quality, ride, blah blah blah, etc was holding me back. With that being said, I test drove Jeep first to eliminate from radar ... well guess what ... the Jeep made me eat my own words! After test drive ... I drove it home!

Like most of you, I read many tests and reviews to establish background for test drive. I will admit the vibration in steering wheel at idle is an eye-opener your first time! We all were down that road.

Reviews on tranny are all over the map. I really like how this tranny operates. Tranny will not 'HUNT' for gears! This was one of my fears being a nine speed. I have had other vehicles with 6 speeds that could NOT make up their mind at 'gun-point' as to what gear it should be in! UGH!

Welcome to the forum and bad timing.>:D which version did you buy?

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts

What's your build date?

My tranny didn't hunt when new, but mileage was poor. It threw a code, put me in limp mode, and the firmware update makes it hunt under more situations with only slightly better MPG. They really need to get the software sorted. ZF is working with them on that, and hope it lands soon.

If you like it, I wouldn't pre-emptively ask for TPM firmware updates.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I only went for a short 5 minute test drive since I was actually interested in a manual, but I felt the 9-speed performed better than I expected during that short time.

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
What's your build date?

Good question ... how do you locate build date?

What build dates are considered 'good' or 'not-so-good'
It's month by month. It's on the door jamb. There's not good or bad, there's jsut dates after which you are likely to have certain versions of firmware.

For example, if you have something built after 5/15, you pretty much are guaranteed to have the latest TPM firmware. If you like the way the vehicle behaves with that, you are unlikely to be disappointed in the effects of future updates. Built 3/15 and earlier, you are in the same state I was. transmisison behaves nicely and shifts well, but MPG suffers a bit and there's a bug in it which will make everything on the can-bus flip out if a sensor reaing goes above a certain value. If it does, you pretty much have to have it flashed to a new version which hunts for the right gear more (it's handling of the 2-3/3-2 shift is particularly poor which sucks if you deal with a lot of stop and go traffic), and acceleration will be a bit a bit poorer more often. Mainly becuase you won't be holding the lower gear and engine braking as much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.