Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
thanks for the share key! unfortunately its the typical modern sea of plastic.... I do find it interesting that the 2.4L Tigershark has been branded Multiair...

·
Registered
953 Posts
Yea its not the most exciting under the hood look that I've ever seen. It would be cool if there was some type of easter egg under the hood, but I don't think that is happening here.

Do you think that putting a different engine under the hood wouldlook any better or would it just look like black plastic still?

·
Registered
465 Posts
good to see that everything isnt covered with plastic up the the point where you have no clue how much brake fluid, washer fluid, etc that is left.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Has anyone seen where the oil filter is and how it orientated? If your a current or former Liberty owner you'll understand why I'm asking.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What is it with all the plastics under the hood. Can't even see the real engine cover anymore these days.

That is a good question i am wondering now if there also a platic panel surrounding the oil filter and hidden.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Has anyone seen where the oil filter is and how it orientated? If your a current or former Liberty owner you'll understand why I'm asking.
Yep - it will be good to find out. I hope it's not strange like my Libby...:eek:

·
Registered
831 Posts
front side of the engine...

as for ease of access I'm not sure. Surely its going to be buried behind a skid plate or something (TH)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Why do you care where the oil filter is? I guess I'm just not the most technical person when it comes to cars. I've never really paid much attention to an oil filter in my cars.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Why do you care where the oil filter is? I guess I'm just not the most technical person when it comes to cars. I've never really paid much attention to an oil filter in my cars.
B/c it's a regular maintenance item. Changing your oil and filter can be PITA if the oil filter is not easily accessible. This one does not look that bad.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Because some people would rather save $50 and change it in the driveway...

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I just hope they have it covered up with some nice plastic engine covers so that it will be easy to keep clean, hate having to be super cautious about cleaning an engine bay with so many things exposed that if water gets into it can damage them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I do all my own oil changes in all my vehicles. I get tired of oil dripping all over the garage floor because they don't clean the stuff they spill when they change it. Also some don't change the harder to remove filters because people like you wouldn't know the difference anyway. I suppose you don't rotate your own tires, if not find a friend with a torque wrench and check them after you have it done. The last time I let a Jeep dealer do it because I had a coupon, I found 1 - 2 lugnuts per wheel loose.;)

This engine looks similar in layout to the 2.4 in the Patriot which is very easy to access the oil filter and a breeze to change the oil in.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I do all my own oil changes in all my vehicles. I get tired of oil dripping all over the garage floor because they don't clean the stuff they spill when they change it. Also some don't change the harder to remove filters because people like you wouldn't know the difference anyway. I suppose you don't rotate your own tires, if not find a friend with a torque wrench and check them after you have it done. The last time I let a Jeep dealer do it because I had a coupon, I found 1 - 2 lugnuts per wheel loose.;)

This engine looks similar in layout to the 2.4 in the Patriot which is very easy to access the oil filter and a breeze to change the oil in.
I'd recommend poking around the KL Cherokee forums and seeing how those guys fare with self changing. The biggest difference is going to be that you cant get the 2.4 Tigershark on the Trailhawk so theres no skid plate issues, but I fear the Renegade TH may be a bit of a PITA.

·
Registered
104 Posts
"The biggest difference is going to be that you cant get the 2.4 Tigershark on the Trailhawk so theres no skid plate issues, but I fear the Renegade TH may be a bit of a PITA. "

The skid plates like those on the Patriot should have a hole in them below the filter just big enough for a hand with a filter in it to fit through. The Patriot has a plastic cover below the engine which is almost identical insize and shape to the front skid plate. ishopped for skid plates for mine and they had it so hopefully they took that que for the Renegade

·
Registered
465 Posts
so if the skid plates are like the patriot isnt that a good thing? since you dont have to remove them

there is a hole already in it for removing the filter correct?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I know a bit different but, some Darts come with an aero treatment. Basically, plastic covering the undercarriage to help reduce wind drag and they have a hinged door for oil filter access. I see Jeep doing the same for there underarmor.

Scott

1 - 20 of 32 Posts