Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my first encounter with another Renegade owner today, he had the exact same color and model as mine (white/FWD/75th). I asked him how he liked it and his reply was I HATE IT! I immediately asked him what did he get out of to drive the Renegade and he says a 2 door 4WD wrangler, I just replied well that's your problem right there. I found out one of his biggest complaints was that when you roll one window down you hear a helicopter noise and you have to roll another window down to get rid of the noise, I told him that most cuv/suv's do that and all he has to do is crack one of the back windows a couple of inches and most of the noise goes away and his reply was my wranglers never did that-well sir the 2 door wrangler is not a 4 door cuv/suv. I guess you cant keep everybody happy can you.

On a different note I also found out that he pulls a small enclosed trailer with it that he used to pull with his wrangler and it does the job just fine and he was impressed with that aspect of it. I didn't get the size of the trailer but from looking at his hitch when he drove away it was something with a 2" ball which I know could be anything but it could be 4X8 or 5X8 enclosed. I was told he gets around 19mpg in town when towing the trailer.

·
Registered
430 Posts
This is the first four door vehicle I have owned that does the helicopter noise. Neither of the Saturns, one a wagon, the Caprice (wagon), Taurus, Explorer, ML320, Grand Wagoneer, did this. It is really annoying.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I had a FJ cruiser before the Renegade the FJ only had 2 windows and you did get the weird suction, tunnel like noise. I don't hear that in the Renegade, I will have to experiment.

·
Registered
106 Posts
...my wife's Santa Fe gets that noise when you only open the sliding section of the sun roof a specific amount; its annoying...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's the reason he hates it? The window noise thing? Ooook. That's a shame.

I think the real reason why he hates it was because he didn't do his homework before getting it, he mentioned the back seat being to small and not enough leg room which if he did some research before signing the dotted line he knew that already. To be honest I quit listening to him after all of the complaints he had from either the Renegade or the dealership he bought it from, I bought mine from the same dealership around the same time he did and they did nothing but go out of there way to make the transaction as painless as possible. I really don't think he is actually ever satisfied, he came into my place of work and complained about every other thing he had to fill out for us to work on his boat.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the first four door vehicle I have owned that does the helicopter noise. Neither of the Saturns, one a wagon, the Caprice (wagon), Taurus, Explorer, ML320, Grand Wagoneer, did this. It is really annoying.

This has happened in all of my 4 door cuv/suv/van vehicles (2006 Durango/2010 journey/85 S10 Blazer/2009 Silhouette) and slightly in my extended cab truck and the two cars (2002 Malibu/2007 Caliber) that I have driven before. I didn't notice it in my truck until I had to take off the vent shades on the doors. I know some people are more tolerant to the noise then others because I had 6 people in my 2006 Durango and I cracked my window and all but one person freaked out from the noise and the last person didn't hear anything. I hear it in the Renegade but its no worse then my wife's 2010 Journey and I just crack one of the back windows to regulate the noise.

·
Super Moderator
3,392 Posts
I found out one of his biggest complaints was that when you roll one window down you hear a helicopter noise and you have to roll another window down to get rid of the noise, I told him that most cuv/suv's do that and all he has to do is crack one of the back windows a couple of inches and most of the noise goes away and his reply was my wranglers never did that-well sir the 2 door wrangler is not a 4 door cuv/suv. I guess you cant keep everybody happy can you.
His generation of 2 door might not have done it, but anything, even 2 doors, with enough space in the right places vs the opening can and will do it. Traditionally, in soft top 2 door wranglers of old, closing the windows wasn't a fix as the whole roof would do it when closed once you got past about 50-60mph. Hard tops weren't much better, although in more recent updates, they have reinforced hard top roofs more. Create enough turbulence and you can avoid it, which is why people ahven't been complaining about this since the 50s.

·
Registered
829 Posts
2 90s Civics, 06 KIA Spectra, 3x Fiat 500 (13 Turbo & 13/15 Abarths), 16 Frontier CC, 14 Juke Nismo RS, and 16 Renegade: only roll down one window and you get that noise in every one of them. Outta try it in a 3 Series....it's deafening. The Renegade is quiet in comparison.

It's odd, every car I've every owned makes this noise with only 1 window down, crack any other and it doesn't.

It's all about an air pressure differential, physics says it makes perfect sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
430 Posts
My Renegade will do it with multiple windows down. Especially when you cross windows, i.e., drivers front and passenger rear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts