Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my 2.0 Renegade 4x4 Limited re-mapped today at Yorkshire Remaps in Leeds and it is amazing.
Feels like a different much bigger engine has been transplanted, would definitely recommend.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,917 Posts
Cool. ~180 sounds about the right ballpark to aim for with this engine/car combo without uprating
anything else.

To be honest I'm pretty happy with 140 for the moment but can imagine 180 being on the cards
in the next 8-10 months.

Will probably mean a trip to the UK as I don't trust 'em to do it over here.

;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. ~180 sounds about the right ballpark to aim for with this engine/car combo without uprating
anything else.

To be honest I'm pretty happy with 140 for the moment but can imagine 180 being on the cards
in the next 8-10 months.

Will probably mean a trip to the UK as I don't trust 'em to do it over here.

;)
It involved removing the ECU, but definitely worth it.
Got 48mpg the other day on a 300mile round trip on motorway, managed to drop the average down to 41mpg with a spirited 20mile trip on some nice country roads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey @Kitsamus, are you still running with the re-mapped chip?? have you put in the dyno?
mine is a 2.0 turbo diesel also, but 170hp factory.. please give us your thoughts on how it's been so far.

Thank you!
I no longer have the renegade due to changing jobs.
Never had it on a dyno, but I loved the extra power.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've been following an Aussie YouTube channel for a few months, just because the guy is nicely outspoken both in criticising the car manufacturers and some of the myths about, for example, HHO generators. I don't generally bother with his specific car reviews as I'm not in the market and the models are often different from ours.

He recently did this rant on chipping/remapping that you might find interesting or amusing.
https://youtu.be/U9tvln5JUW4

Reactions: Nev

·
Super Moderator
1,917 Posts
Aussie guy has a point and gives good advice.

I've had an ECU remap on a previous car from a well know tuner.
No MASSIVE power increases. Just improved driveability. (Normally aspirated 2.2 petrol.)
And fixing a terrible flatspot left by FCA out-of-the-box.

Concerning this power unit, my understanding is that the 2.0Mjet in 140BHP form
is part-for-part identical with the 170BHPer.
So I wouldn't balk at getting the 140BHP engine remapped upto 160-180 per se.

However I wouldn't do it in the first 2 years of warranty and as there is no 170HP manual
offered I'd look into the clutch before doing it. (I'd assume the auto boxes are also
identical between 140 & 170 models.)

The one thing that puts me off is that on this ECU there's no loading of remaps
via the OBD. Putting a box on it is out of the question for me and ECU removal/opening
I'll probably pass on.

As a note Alfa never sussed I had a 3rd party map on the 2.2 and in fact the buggers
overwrote it without knowing. Twice. (Luckily my map supplier reloaded it for me. But I did have to drive up to London. ;))

·
Registered
43 Posts
Be carefull,
Re-mapping, re-chiping the 140HP engine to 180HP will reduce the lifetime and reliability of several components.
Note that the Trailhawk engine (170HP from factory) has a different turbo, different injectors, different bearing, sealings, etc.
If you just re-chip/re-map a 140HP engine, the turbo will work with higher presures (that it was not designed for), higher temperatures (that it was not designed for), and the engine sealings, crankshaft bearings will by sbmitter to higher strees and pressures (that they were not designed for).
Also the manual transmission/clutch will suffer accelerated wear.
Finally.... The better fuel economy is achieved adjusting the air to fuel ratio.... that results in higher pollution, well over the EURO 6 emissions.
It works, but the engine lifetime/lifespan is reduced and pollution emissions increase.

I recommend to study very well the subject before re-maping/re-chiping, so that you can make a fully informed and conscient decission..

Best regards,

Bruno
Trailhawk (2.0MJET 170HP)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi guys, now we own the Trailhawk outright and it's out of warranty I've been thinking of a remap primarily for improvements in consumption.

Further to this thread has anyone else done this, or can recommend reputable tuners?

I'm more than happy with the 170bhp and torque this engine puts out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Be carefull,
Re-mapping, re-chiping the 140HP engine to 180HP will reduce the lifetime and reliability of several components.
Note that the Trailhawk engine (170HP from factory) has a different turbo, different injectors, different bearing, sealings, etc.
If you just re-chip/re-map a 140HP engine, the turbo will work with higher presures (that it was not designed for), higher temperatures (that it was not designed for), and the engine sealings, crankshaft bearings will by sbmitter to higher strees and pressures (that they were not designed for).
Also the manual transmission/clutch will suffer accelerated wear.
Finally.... The better fuel economy is achieved adjusting the air to fuel ratio.... that results in higher pollution, well over the EURO 6 emissions.
It works, but the engine lifetime/lifespan is reduced and pollution emissions increase.

I recommend to study very well the subject before re-maping/re-chiping, so that you can make a fully informed and conscient decission..

Best regards,

Bruno
Trailhawk (2.0MJET 170HP)
Thanks Bruno

Sound advice !- WELL SAID!- if the engine warranted that power output, the manufacturers would have designed it in !

SO- Leave well alone, or get a Trailhawk with a higher output rating and auxiliaries !

I shall leave my 2018 Tough Mudder 140 bhp system well alone - it does all I want and 48mpg overall!- why they changed from the ZF 9 speed box, I cannot understand!( cost reduction ?!)

NorfolkJohn

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks Bruno

Sound advice !- WELL SAID!- if the engine warranted that power output, the manufacturers would have designed it in !

SO- Leave well alone, or get a Trailhawk with a higher output rating and auxiliaries !

I shall leave my 2018 Tough Mudder 140 bhp system well alone - it does all I want and 48mpg overall!- why they changed from the ZF 9 speed box, I cannot understand!( cost reduction ?!)

NorfolkJohn
How you finding the Tough Mudder? Doesn't it have the same basic setup as a Trailhawk but with the 140bhp engine? Bit of a rare beast!

·
Registered
6 Posts
How you finding the Tough Mudder? Doesn't it have the same basic setup as a Trailhawk but with the 140bhp engine? Bit of a rare beast!
Hi Oggy

The Tough Mudder is a limited edition 4x4 version of the Renegade, with special Black or Orange paint and interior fittings , basically similar to Trailhawk, but with 140 BHP 2 Litre . Diesel engine, rather than the Traihawks 170bhp, but mine is fine, and gives good economy!.

Another difference is that it has fabric , rather than part leather seats ( and is cheaper!).
Mine has a super ZX 9 speed auto box, that so smooth, and economical , I just don't get why they changed to 6 speed in later models!!, Mine has all the bells and whistles' 4x4 features of the Trailhawk, but not rock mode, which is no real hardship for me!.

I am really pleased with it, and published the following owner review in Autotrader ..

"Bought the car second hand in July 2021 with 21k miles on clock, fully serviced by jeep dealer. Love the garish Omaha Orange livery, and quirky interior. Caused comments about look from haughty Range Rover owners, but soon prove adequate on and off road! Managed magic 50 mpg on 950 mile trip to Champagne last week, and overall 48 mpg since purchase. the 9 speed ZF box is smooth and changes imperceptibly, unless under hard acceleration . I am 6ft 3ins tall, so find the spacious front cabin and seats perfect for comfort on long journeys. Ride on road is good, and turning circle tight for a 4x4 .Headroom is also very high for a small car! Visibility is pretty good, but need to watch blind spots in wing mirrors! Overall a great car for 2 passengers ( occasional 4!), and a Labrador!. Boot space limited, but huge with back seats down. Ideal shooting persons mans vehicle ,as it has proved excellent off road in mud so far!. Overall, I would recommend as great dual purpose , reliable , economical and comfortable vehicle, which will go almost anywhere, and can tow as well"

If you can find a low mileage, well maintained one, one you won't be disappointed !- It really is a go anywhere, fine little car !!- even if it comparably expensive, but you get the special 4x4 features you pay for in a Renegade !

1 - 20 of 26 Posts