Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to bring up new discussion about old topics. I'm trying to educate myself.
The window sticker on my new 2020 Sport says, "Engine and transmission manufactured in the USA". Is that only true for "some" Rene motors? Are some actually Fiat motors? I've seen the Tigershark name attached to 2.4 engines here in the forum. Are some motors not tigersharks? I'm hoping that the the "MFG'd in the USA" tells me I might have an engine void of some of the characteristics talked about on this forum. With that being said, I have 8000 miles on the vehicle and am now seeing my oil level change on the dipstik. Any info shared that can help me "gather in" the overall picture on these 2.4 motors will be appreciated.

·
Registered
621 Posts
While your concerns are certainly warranted, at this point I wouldn't be too worried. Brand new engine, 8,000 miles and you are just now noticing a drop on the dipstick ? While these new engines do not require the lengthy break in of the engines of yore, they still need a slight break in. I'd keep it topped off and at 10,000 get it changed. But I would be diligent in keeping an eye on it. Checks are free and only take a few minutes of your time, but I don't think you have the "drinkers" that others suffer from. I hope.

·
Super Moderator
3,788 Posts
We are on our 2nd BU with the 2.4. Ours never burnt or lost a drop of oil. At 27,xxx our rear main seal stated to weep and the dealer fixed it with out any problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I have bought several new cars from dealers in the past, and never before now have I been so apprehensive about my purchase. ( Rene was a dealer-demo and had 5700 miles on it the day I got it. I am 1/2 way thru my first oil change,) Of course, I didn't research the vehicle like I should have. Besides saving as much $ as possible, my main goal was to have a vehicle that had full-time 4WD. I figured Jeep has been around forever and I could expect the usual reliability of a new purchase. I think there's posts on this forum that argue that the negatives of the model are "over-stressed" here. And I can kinda gather that in. With that being said, there sure seem to be lots of issues. But, there is lots to like. I think the Rene has sufficient power. I kinda like the rumble of the motor. It's comfortable. The storage areas are pathetic. I have done some trail riding in the desert, and felt that the 4wd was fantastic. ( I got a junkyard rim so I have a full-size spare.) It's lived up to my expectations. I guess if I wanted more, I should have spent more.
I researched the engine. After Fiat made the move over here, I remember reading about the hydraulic lifter setup they have and telling myself that would be a good thing to stay away from. Well, now I own one. I'll put my confidence in the engineers, Chrysler and Fiat, that put this thing together. Looking forward to putting many miles on the Rene. I also have to look forward to an imminent recall, that sounds like it's coming sooner instead of later, on emissions, oil rings etc. Funny the dealer never mentioned anything about that. I'm am still glad I bought the jeep. My next question is gonna be this: "How difficult is it to get to the drain bolt and the oil filter?" I'm considering doing my own oil changes. Ride safe folks.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
"How difficult is it to get to the drain bolt and the oil filter?" I'm considering doing my own oil changes. Ride safe folks.
If its in the same location as the 2.0L diesel 4x4 then its a piece of cake to do yourself.

The mate and I removed the plastic, cheap skid plate from the underside of the engine. Oil filter sits on the right side of the engine about 1/4 of the way up. Drain plug sits low.

It really is that easy if you can get it onto a hydraulic lift.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If its in the same location as the 2.0L diesel 4x4 then its a piece of cake to do yourself.

The mate and I removed the plastic, cheap skid plate from the underside of the engine. Oil filter sits on the right side of the engine about 1/4 of the way up. Drain plug sits low.

It really is that easy if you can get it onto a hydraulic lift.
I don't have the Valkyrie skid plates, but am looking at that upgrade. Does the front skid plate need to be dropped to get to the oil filter?

·
Registered
621 Posts
bluski-

I, too, bought my Latitude without doing my standard 6 months of research. I needed a new vehicle NOW as mine died. After purchase I began reading and saw all the tales of woe. I said to myself, "what have I done ?" as I read through the trouble posts. I was fully aware that most forums only have trouble posts, no one posts that their vehicle is running great, but I noticed a lot of "me too !!" types of posts, several owners reporting the same issue. I did the "rut-roh" and questioned my purchase.

In the beginning, my Renegade renewed my faith in religion. Before each start, I made the sign of the cross then hit the button. When it fired up, I said, "Praise Jesus.". I always kept a close eye on the dash, as intent as an Air Traffic Controller at a busy airport. I waited for the dash to start flashing like a 1980's pinball machine. I checked oil and coolant levels weekly, still do.

Nothing ever happened. While me and Jesus are still buddies, I no longer bother Him with each start-up. Still running great, almost zero issues. Mine does sip oil, not extreme, but just enough to be annoying. My Renegade now has 80,000 miles on it (as of yesterday), nothing has ever happened. It got my butt to and fro.

I think you'll be happy with your Renegade, they just require a little more attention than other vehicles. Yes, some things on this vehicle is downright idiotic and will be maddening, but once you adopt the "it is what it is" attitude, all will be okay.

Be sure to flip off that Italian spider each time you fill up. I think that helps in keeping my Jeep trouble free.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bluski-

I, too, bought my Latitude without doing my standard 6 months of research. I needed a new vehicle NOW as mine died. After purchase I began reading and saw all the tales of woe. I said to myself, "what have I done ?" as I read through the trouble posts. I was fully aware that most forums only have trouble posts, no one posts that their vehicle is running great, but I noticed a lot of "me too !!" types of posts, several owners reporting the same issue. I did the "rut-roh" and questioned my purchase.

In the beginning, my Renegade renewed my faith in religion. Before each start, I made the sign of the cross then hit the button. When it fired up, I said, "Praise Jesus.". I always kept a close eye on the dash, as intent as an Air Traffic Controller at a busy airport. I waited for the dash to start flashing like a 1980's pinball machine. I checked oil and coolant levels weekly, still do.

Nothing ever happened. While me and Jesus are still buddies, I no longer bother him with each start-up. Still running great, almost zero issues. Mine does sip oil, not extreme, but just enough to be annoying. My Renegade now has 80,000 miles on it (as of yesterday), nothing has ever happened. It got my butt to and fro.

I think you'll be happy with your Renegade, they just require a little more attention than other vehicles. Yes, some things on this vehicle is downright idiotic and will be maddening, but once you adopt the "it is what it is" attitude, all will be okay.

Be sure to flip off that Italian spider each time you fill up. I think that helps in keeping my Jeep trouble free.
Love the rhetorical perspective here. You captured my feelings precisely. Great reading . . . brought smiles to my face!!! Damn that spider!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I got a 2017 Latitude 4x4. Just turned over 70K (mine was a rental from Florida and had 32k on it when I got it). My experience is similar to Mud Pie. Mine does sip oil too. One dumb thing on that is the manual says to check oil 5 minutes after turning engine off. (Who came up with that ?!?!?!?) Make sure you do it like that - it does make a difference on the reading. (Even though it goes against all logic and anything you have ever done on any other car.)

I changed my plugs at 50k to be safe. I did have the electric radiator fan bearings go out. I order a new fan and put it on myself (without tearing a bunch of parts out) by watching a YouTube video.
I am still on the original Battery.
I have had a couple weird things come up on the dash, but a simple reboot fixed them. Once while stuck in snow (with lousy OEM tires) and spinning the tires and rocking it I got some message to have the 4x4 checked. (Some guy in a truck pulled me out so I didn't try again.) It still works fine - never took it in. I think it just freaked out. Another time I was driving the power steering stopped and gave a message. I drove on into work. After work, the power steering was fine and have not had an issue since. So if those dumb messages happen, don't believe it the first time. I think it just misinterprets some signal.

Also, this summer I put on Pirelli All Terrain Plus 225/65R17 tires on it. They look great and ride higher than the touring OEM tires that came on it. I looking forward to better performance this winter.

I wish you well with your Rene.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a 2017 Latitude 4x4. Just turned over 70K (mine was a rental from Florida and had 32k on it when I got it). My experience is similar to Mud Pie. Mine does sip oil too. One dumb thing on that is the manual says to check oil 5 minutes after turning engine off. (Who came up with that ?!?!?!?) Make sure you do it like that - it does make a difference on the reading. (Even though it goes against all logic and anything you have ever done on any other car.)

I changed my plugs at 50k to be safe. I did have the electric radiator fan bearings go out. I order a new fan and put it on myself (without tearing a bunch of parts out) by watching a YouTube video.
I am still on the original Battery.
I have had a couple weird things come up on the dash, but a simple reboot fixed them. Once while stuck in snow (with lousy OEM tires) and spinning the tires and rocking it I got some message to have the 4x4 checked. (Some guy in a truck pulled me out so I didn't try again.) It still works fine - never took it in. I think it just freaked out. Another time I was driving the power steering stopped and gave a message. I drove on into work. After work, the power steering was fine and have not had an issue since. So if those dumb messages happen, don't believe it the first time. I think it just misinterprets some signal.

Also, this summer I put on Pirelli All Terrain Plus 225/65R17 tires on it. They look great and ride higher than the touring OEM tires that came on it. I looking forward to better performance this winter.

I wish you well with your Rene.
I appreciate your remarks. Kinda sounds like, "Expect the unexpected - but don't panic". Doesn't do much for my blood pressure! Lol (y)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts