Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone here with more knowledge about engines can maybe shed a little light on something for me. My wife and I both own Renegades.... we have
1. 2015 Trailhawk
2. 2016 Latitude with the 2.4L

Question is... the Trailhawk is MUCH more responsive to throttle input. When you hit the pedal, it goes. Instantly. The Latitude is a softer acceleration. When you hit the pedal, it almost feels like there is a 1-2 second lag before the power starts to spool up. It feels like the mid-range and top-end speeds and power are about the same. The Trailhawk still feels a little more responsive, but the Latitude still has the same over-all power.

I was under the impression that the 2.4 is a 2.4. Both engines look exactly the same. I know the gearing is a little different, and I know from regearing my old TJ how much difference that can make, but this doesn't feel like it's in the gearing to me... maybe it is... I don't know.

Any thoughts on what this could be, or what I'm overlooking?

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Final drive ratio. The trailhawk has 3.7:1 the rest have 4.3:1. It effectively makes the trailhawk more torquey, which means it can get off the line a bit better, although it will have worse MPG at highway speeds, and top out at a lower speed. TH also usually starts in 2nd gear (under some circumstances it will use 1st), the rest usualy start in first.

The only other thing is tires and traction control. Electronic traction control and stability control can only limit power, so if the TH has a better TC program, or the TH has tires less prone to breaking grip, that can make a difference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Final drive ratio. The trailhawk has 3.7:1 the rest have 4.3:1. It effectively makes the trailhawk more torquey, which means it can get off the line a bit better, although it will have worse MPG at highway speeds, and top out at a lower speed. TH also usually starts in 2nd gear (under some circumstances it will use 1st), the rest usualy start in first.

The only other thing is tires and traction control. Electronic traction control and stability control can only limit power, so if the TH has a better TC program, or the TH has tires less prone to breaking grip, that can make a difference.

According to the Jeep website, the 2015 Trailhawk comes standard with 4.3, and the 2016 Latitude comes standard comes with 4.4, but the 3.7's as an option. I have my window sticker in the car, so I'll double check it (if it's on there). That's another reason I was kind of ruling out the gearing, but if the Latitude does have the 3.7's, maybe that would account for it. I know in my TJ I went from 3.07's to 4.56's and it was a huge difference.

Thank you for the information and input. I greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have the 2.4 in my wife's Limited and consistently she gets 30.5mpg, I'm sure that might go up if she stayed under 70mph.
I love that I don't have to jack it up to change the oil, filter is right up front and drain plug easy to reach.
The only negative I have about the 2.4 is that's its noisy when cold, it rattles kind of but quiets up when warm.
Oil level does not move with mileage driven.

·
Registered
184 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 4.3:1 is a lower gear ratio (higher numerically) than the 3.7:1. The lower gear ratio will provide more torque, and lower gas mileage. So, the jeep with 3.7:1 will have less torque.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sorry Raz-o but that's incorrect...The Trailhawk has a 4.33 final drive and the non-TH 2.4 Auto has a 3.73 final drive. And like wyliec said, that means more torque for the lower gear ratio (higher numerically)...this would explain why your TH feels like it has more off-the-line torque... any questions, just message me LittleTreeGuy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry Raz-o but that's incorrect...The Trailhawk has a 4.33 final drive and the non-TH 2.4 Auto has a 3.73 final drive. And like wyliec said, that means more torque for the lower gear ratio (higher numerically)...this would explain why your TH feels like it has more off-the-line torque... any questions, just message me LittleTreeGuy

What he said. ^^^^^

Raz-o was on the right track, though. The final drive gear ratio in a vehicle can make a substantial difference in the performance "feel". The 4.33's in the Trailhawk put more power to the ground faster and at lower RPM's (good for off-roading which is what the TH was designed to do better at the expense of fuel economy). The 3.73's in the Latitude don't give you that quick "snap" of power just off idle but rather allow the engine to spin more slowly at higher ground speeds, providing better fuel economy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.