Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently had the CEL come on and the code checked out as an O2 sensor issue. I ordered the upstream O2 sensor ($60 :sneaky:), which is usually the culprit and installed it this weekend. I had previously ordered new plugs and figured I might as well swap those as well. I'm at 78k for mileage so they were probably ready anyway (hell probably ready at 60k). Now, if you ever need to do this, avoid ordering Bosch O2 sensors. The Jeep tech told me the Renegades do not like those for some reason. I did the swap and as you can see, the plugs were looking pretty crusty and the O2 sensor was getting pretty oxidized.

To reset the codes, I pulled the negative battery cable and let it sit for a good 15-20 mins. Everything seemed good to go until the next day. Had a trip to the zoo planned and when we left the CEL came back on and shortly after the odometer started blinking. Typically that indicates a CAN bus issue, which I was not happy to see. Another odd symptom was that the climate controls wouldn't work. No fan, A/C, heat.... nothing. So yesterday when I got home I pulled the battery cable again. I checked some fuses that I thought maybe got smoked... all good. Put the battery cable back on and everything cleared out again. Drove it for a day and the CEL is back on, but the climate controls are working again.

So I guess it's time to take it to the dealership and get it checked over. Never had this kind of issue with just changing plugs and O2 sensors. Might just order and change out the downstream O2 before I schedule an appointment though. Any else have any thoughts or experiences with these issues?

·
Super Moderator
4,104 Posts
Nice job. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: Jamie Smith
1 - 2 of 2 Posts