Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello im just making it know that all renegade with the 2.4 liter tigershark motor they have a recall for the engine. Its for oil consumption. They replace the motor I believe it has no mileage restriction. So check n see if your renegade is qualified for it. I had 83,200 miles and they replaced my motor for free. Saved me money on timing chain, waterpump and so on. They replace it with a new updated motor. Just got mine back today. And it drives alot better and moves alot better so check at your local dealer if it qualifies for this recall

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes we had our 2018 Latitude checked in March, what they do ie make sure the oil is at full mark then zip tie the oil dip stick so you can't look at it or pull oil out, then they mark the fill cap and drain plug, you drive like you always do for between 1500 to 1700 miles, you go and they check oil level and if its below low or add mark they will replace the engine, ours was still at full mark, since 500 miles I've never had to add I change mine at 4000 miles myself, the number for dealership is CSN W80 for the recall, if you go over 1700 miles you have to start over.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Mine is currently under the magnifying glass... Waiting to run up the required mileage before I return.

I don't have the kind of luck that will end up with a new engine...the cynic in me asks "what would stop them from slightly overfilling it will oil so when they check it after the test, it's now "full" ?", even though I know for a fact I have to add oil between changes. Cynical, I know....

Reactions: Murf

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had my engine replaced last month.

What advantage would it be to the dealership to "cook" the test? It is a FCA recall and the dealer get paid by FCA to do the recall. They would only be screwing themselves if they faked to test.

·
Registered
892 Posts

What advantage would it be to the dealership to "cook" the test? It is a FCA recall and the dealer get paid by FCA to do the recall. They would only be screwing themselves if they faked to test.
Lazy employees that get paid by the hour and not by the work completed ?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Are you really that clueless on how mechanics get payed or just pretending to be stupid? BTW, I was a mechanic for 20+ years.
How they get paid ? Yep. How they work ? Nope.

My mechanic experiences with various vehicles:
1. I was told I needed new spark plugs. The ones in question were less than ONE hour old. Plugs never inspected.
2. Dealer stripped out the oil pan, they were only ones changing oil from new purchase. Was told the "pan is sacrificial" not the plug. My cost, not theirs.
3. I was advised I needed a new air filter. When I explained it was a K&N, response was "Oh. Computer said it was time". Again, never inspected.
4. "Cylinder 3 misfire" was caused by faulty coils. Replaced, problem remained. Complete fuel system cleaned. Remained. Then ECU, replaced the expensive item, problem remained. Took to another shop, valves need adjusting.
5. Adding a new key fob (not purchased from dealer) may cause BOTH key fobs to permanently die. (it didn't).
6. Tires rotated, lug nuts/bolts over-torqued so much that a star wrench with 3' cheater bar, bent.
7. Vehicle with mag wheels, nuts not seated, washers not re-installed. Wheels nearly fell off.
8. Wife's Jeep "drifting". Was told control arms. Replaced upper and lower, both sides. Still drifts. Bad tie rod end.
9. Tires replaced with raised white letters. Drivers side; raised white letters. Passenger side, black wall. Granted, not mechanics, but seriously ?

All I can base my opinions on is experience. So am I suspect ? Every time. Not every mechanic is the same, so I keep trying. But my spidey sense tingles each time they start with "We have a problem....". Of course there is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No dealership in the US pays their mechanics hourly (we are talking about a dealership here that covers a recall).

Someone that mounts/rotates tires or does oil changes is not a mechanic.

·
Super Moderator
3,465 Posts

Because FCA's rate for warranty rate is often less than book rate for the same job. The dealer doesn't like it unless they are slow and the alternative is no money. The mechanic may not like it because with something like an engine replacement, they may not be able to beat book time, and thus effectively get paid less per hour.

·
Registered
892 Posts
No dealership in the US pays their mechanics hourly (we are talking about a dealership here that covers a recall).

Someone that mounts/rotates tires or does oil changes is not a mechanic.
I can tell by your pic that you are most likely an "old school" mechanic that actually knows how to work on vehicles and does not rely solely on what the computer says. I once worked in a garage and had to work on everything, engine rebuilds, trannys, even busting tires, but computers didn't even exist back then. I was never schooled or certified, but I knew my way around a wrench and never had a complaint. Mechanics nowadays are more "technicians" than mechanics. If the PC don't tell him, the problem doesn't exist. "There are no codes" is the common response, much like when you ask a teenager who broke the lamp and they say "I don't know". You can bet the house you'll receive those two responses.

Trust me, I'm not calling out your abilities as a mechanic, I can only relate to issues I've personally experienced.

·
Registered
116 Posts
well I have been a smog tech/mechanic and owner for 40yrs and dealers now pay a hourly rate to mechanics and if they go over the min flat rate they start to make a small comission...

·
Registered
23 Posts
well I have been a smog tech/mechanic and owner for 40yrs and dealers now pay a hourly rate to mechanics and if they go over the min flat rate they start to make a small comission...
So what you trying to say is, if for example, a customer is given an estimate of $1500 to replace the head on an engine based on the book rate of 10 hours, if it takes you 20 hours to do the job you get a commission?

Man, I would want to work there. I'd take 3 hours to change filters and be livin' high on the hog!

In my world you are paid the book rate no matter how long it takes. A good mechanic can book 60+ hours in a 40 hour work week. You also make sure it is right the first time as you don't get paid to fix any recalls you may get.

·
Super Moderator
3,465 Posts
So what you trying to say is, if for example, a customer is given an estimate of $1500 to replace the head on an engine based on the book rate of 10 hours, if it takes you 20 hours to do the job you get a commission?

Man, I would want to work there. I'd take 3 hours to change filters and be livin' high on the hog!

In my world you are paid the book rate no matter how long it takes. A good mechanic can book 60+ hours in a 40 hour work week. You also make sure it is right the first time as you don't get paid to fix any recalls you may get.
It may just be how it is phrased. I could parse their statement the way you did, or if you book more than the minimum 40 hours in a week they start giving a commission on top of the base rate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello im just making it know that all renegade with the 2.4 liter tigershark motor they have a recall for the engine. Its for oil consumption. They replace the motor I believe it has no mileage restriction. So check n see if your renegade is qualified for it. I had 83,200 miles and they replaced my motor for free. Saved me money on timing chain, waterpump and so on. They replace it with a new updated motor. Just got mine back today. And it drives alot better and moves alot better so check at your local dealer if it qualifies for this recall
Hello..

I just had the recall done for the oil consumption and all they did was a software update… I was burning 1 quart every 1500 miles… is this a new recall??

·
Registered
116 Posts

I have a feeling your not going to understand no matter how it is put to you....I mean really do you think that is what I said...would that happen in the real world nno...if they go over flat to pay there hourly then commish kicks in....stuborn old fart

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Hello..

I just had the recall done for the oil consumption and all they did was a software update… I was burning 1 quart every 1500 miles… is this a new recall??
Hi Kristine,
Oil Consumption (W20) is a CSN and not a recall. A Customer Satisfaction Notification (CSN) is preventive in nature and involves warranty or customer satisfaction issues that are non-safety related. Stellantis will correct the problem, at no charge, even if the vehicle is out of warranty and you are not the original owner. Please feel free to contact us via private message if you need any assistance regarding your CSN.

Rob
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
116 Posts
3 hours to change an oil filter you wouldn't be working long.....funny that you thought that's what I meant...and is far as your world I'm sure no one wants to live in YOUR world....do you take the little bus to your world....that's what I thought ...feel sorry for you my friend...oh that's right you have no friends.....have a good day mate....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dude, there is no "commission" paid. They get paid book rate. In case you don't understand that then let me explain in little kids terms. They get a job that is estimated by the book to take 8 hours. They complete the job in 5 hours. They still get paid 8 hours of pay. It is not commision, it called book rate. If it takes them 10 hours, they still get paid for 8 hours.

Maybe this article will explain it to you since you seem to have a comprehension issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts