Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This review includes the Jeep Renegade TH (placed 3rd out of three) , Jeep Cherokee TH (1st) and the Toyota 4runner TRD Pro package (2nd).
http://www.fourwheeler.com/vehicle-reviews/1504-2015-four-wheeler-of-the-year/

Facebook video
https://scontent-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=b32b57bc27db9263fca41f2215855323&oe=54F9A517

They mentioned getting stuck with the renegade possibly due to an overactive traction control where it wouldn't even let the tires spin.

The Renegade’s Achilles heel seemed to be hillclimbs. One long, loose dirt climb stopped the Renegade cold. Even with a long run at the hill it was unable to make the climb. It felt like it had run out of gearing, but we suspect the overactive traction control and smaller tires played a part. It just sat on the hill with the engine whining and only occasional wheelspin. In the snow it went everywhere we asked it to go, but it seemed the traction control made some deeper areas a challenge (typical for some electronic traction control systems).
In another review they choose the 4runner as the winner. (renegade TH was not included and Cherokee TH was 2nd to last by 1 point)
http://www.fourwheeler.com/vehicle-reviews/1503-2015-4x4-of-the-year-new-vehicle-shakedown/

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Technology that uses "traction control" for traction by using wheel brakes and cutting power can not compete with a system with mechanical limited slip differentials.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
I just looked at the Renegade Owners Manual and in the Safety section, it talks about how to turn TSC and ESC off and if you turn ESC fully off:

Full Off
By pushing the button for more than five seconds, the
ESC system is switched off completely , in addition to
systems TSC, ERM, and the ESC system will be limited to
the single braking action on the individual drive wheels.
Other systems remain enabled.

The activation of the mode is highlighted from the
warning on the instrument panel.
WARNING!
In the ESC “Full Off” mode, the engine torque reduction and stability features are disabled. Therefore, enhanced vehicle stability offered by the ESC system is unavailable. In an emergency evasive maneuver, the ESC system will not engage to assist in maintaining stability. “ESC Off” mode is intended for off-highway or off-road use only.

I wonder if they turned everything off and the TH still got stuck?

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Now that is disconcerting. Does anyone know if you put it in "4WD Lock" if power is equal at all wheels when you are in a situation like this and would that even help?
From what I know, the "4WD Lock" only ensures that power is sent to both the front and rear wheels. I believe Brake Lock Differential is still used. I think that's why TFLCar had a hard time getting up that snow hill in one shot. I think traction control had a hard time figuring out which wheel was slipping because all of them were at one time or another. Yet the Wrangler made it up smoothly in one shot because the differentials were locked.

There are definitely pros and cons to both full-time and part-time 4WD systems. I think the Cherokee comes closest to bridging the gap with the locking rear differential. Either way, 2 tries to get up a snowy hill in the Renegade is better than my current method of just waiting until spring to get my car back up the hill to my house...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm speculating here but I doubt they read the manual as most people wouldn't and just used the select terrain and be on their way.:|

So in all those videos posted by jeep (trails of the trailhawk) was TSC & ESC off?
@Eric5273
Also I think they went a little overboard with the "easter egg" thing.
More time could have been invested elsewhere on more functional details
Eg having a shroud for the fog lights to reduce a little drag on the bumper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.