Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeep owners, I could really use your help.

My wife has a 2015 Renegade 2.4L Latitude that we bought used which she loves. When we first got it it had the super rough idle problem that many people have experienced with this model. After a lot of reading I decided to replace the passenger side motor mount. It really wasn't that difficult and gave me an excuse to buy an impact driver and because it benefitted the wife she was happy and the idea was to save $500ish that everyone was quoting me to replace the motor mount. I was able to get the part for $120 so everyone was pretty happy with that.

Fast forward replacing the motor mount was actually no problem. But then either through my own incompetence or just garbage luck I broke the connect to the MAF sensor. I've read on here repeatedly that it's an IAT. I don't actually know the difference. I just know in all the reading I've done online and calling multiple parts dealers including several OEM Jeep places everyone says MAF Sensor. The part number for the pig tail is 6833 0736 AA, or so literally every place I've called says.

I was skeptical because there's not one single picture of the part number they all telling me online. I finally found a Jeep dealer in Illinois who actually had one on the shelf but the guy didn't feel like trying to describe it to me or send me photos. I've actually been searching for weeks, because I work from home so my wife drives my car to work because it's better gas milage. That car was hit and is being repaired now, so we're down to only our rental. I've got to figure this Jeep thing out and I'm just at an absolute loss. Short of having it towed to a dealer and paying whatever they decide to charge me I don't know quite what to do.

I'm hoping someone here has a suggestion. I'll attach as many photos as I can, and if you'd like to see anything else just ask. The Jeep is here at our home so other photos is no problem. What I have to figure out is, what the heck this thing is, and how do I find the right part number to get a replacement? Because this sensor is out, the Jeep is in creep mode, so I can't drive over 35. The 20 mile ride to a Jeep dealer is not ideal in that way and I don't think would be good for it anyway. I'd really appreciate any help anyone can provide. I have to figure out how to get a replacement for this sensor.

I even tried junk yards. The problem is when they snatch the engine out of the Jeep the rip most of this wiring out with it. So far I haven't been lucky enough to find a wrecked jeep with this sensor or connector still intact. I'm so completely stuck trying to get this thing back and running.

This is the air box, and you can see the opening where the sensor inserts.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Car Automotive design

Here is the end of the broken connector. As you may be able to see i tried to use a two part epoxy to glue the end back on, but there's so little plastic to begin with there's nearly nothing to glue to. By the way this is a three wire connector, the fourth position is empty.
Motor vehicle Sleeve Automotive tire Finger Bag Automotive tire Camera accessory Finger Cameras & optics Camera lens Circuit component Gas Tints and shades Rectangle Wood Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Auto part Fashion accessory

Here is the sensor in question in case anyone wants to help me understand what it is or is not:
Automotive exterior Wood Rectangle Font Auto part Hand Finger Thumb Tool Nail

Again, thanks to everyone for any help you can provide.

·
Super Moderator
3,500 Posts
Good luck with suggestions. Most 2.4L renegades don't have a MAF sensor and the IAT sensor is WAY back by the throttle body. My understanding it some VERY early renegades had them. The 2015 schematics have it sharing a common ground with the IAT and a couple other things.

But I will also point out the part number is literally in your last picture. 68144197AA. It in stock on amazon for like $77 with pictures that look exactly like that. Ebay also has a ton of listings with pics for that par number. All look like your sensor, so I'm pretty sure that's the correct and current part number.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck with suggestions. Most 2.4L renegades don't have a MAF sensor and the IAT sensor is WAY back by the throttle body. My understanding it some VERY early renegades had them. The 2015 schematics have it sharing a common ground with the IAT and a couple other things.

But I will also point out the part number is literally in your last picture. 68144197AA. It in stock on amazon for like $77 with pictures that look exactly like that. Ebay also has a ton of listings with pics for that par number. All look like your sensor, so I'm pretty sure that's the correct and current part number.
Yes, but remember it's not my MAF that's damaged, it's the plastic connector and wiring harness. The MAF seems to be fine as far as I know. A replacement connector is the part I can't find, and no one can tell me what it should be.

What you're saying about the older models may be my problem. The original part was garbage and they replaced it. I'm stuck with an original part and no one makes a replacement for it. If I could find any info about it, I don't mind converting it, rewiring, whatever.

The part number I bought, 6833 0736 AA, is supposed to be the wiring harness and pigtails but it 100% doesn't fit. This is where I'm stuck. It's almost like I need to replace the whole MAF or whatever it is with a different part and cut on a different connector. But I can't even find specifics on doing that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I could just dig around for that MAF part number and see if there's kits with more parts...

·
Super Moderator
3,500 Posts
Yes, but remember it's not my MAF that's damaged, it's the plastic connector and wiring harness. The MAF seems to be fine as far as I know. A replacement connector is the part I can't find, and no one can tell me what it should be.

What you're saying about the older models may be my problem. The original part was garbage and they replaced it. I'm stuck with an original part and no one makes a replacement for it. If I could find any info about it, I don't mind converting it, rewiring, whatever.

The part number I bought, 6833 0736 AA, is supposed to be the wiring harness and pigtails but it 100% doesn't fit. This is where I'm stuck. It's almost like I need to replace the whole MAF or whatever it is with a different part and cut on a different connector. But I can't even find specifics on doing that.

It is very hard to tell what broke because it appears you have a bit with the pins that will take a socket, and a socket... so... I guess the MAF sensor fits into a weather resistant adapter?

Conversion would suck a lot I expect as the ones without a MAF sensor use temp and the MAP sensor to compute airflow. So totally different software I suspect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is very hard to tell what broke because it appears you have a bit with the pins that will take a socket, and a socket... so... I guess the MAF sensor fits into a weather resistant adapter?

Conversion would suck a lot I expect as the ones without a MAF sensor use temp and the MAP sensor to compute airflow. So totally different software I suspect.
I'll post a photo of the replacement next to the broken piece when I get it. It's really a poor design.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts