Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2015 renegade I bought this from my daughter who drove it for a few years. No problems. Now I have put about 8000 miles on it and having break issues. It has less than 60000 miles and rotors are in need of replacement . There was some wear on pads obviously but I’m not a crazy driver so shouldn’t even need breaks at this point. Anyone else out there deal with this? Thx

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Brakes are tough to figure out, some need replacement earlier than others. My brakes have almost 89k on them and are still decent. I had a Ford Escape that needed brakes at 42k. What issues are you having with the brakes?

·
Super Moderator
3,336 Posts

and enjoy the forum!

How dose she drive? Some people ride the brake harder than others. Wet roads, sandy roads, salt & ect are a big part of brakes wearing out.

Last are you sure the shop it telling you the truth? Did you see the rotors?

Search is your friend.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I watched a YouTube video regarding the fitting of brake discs (rotors) by an uncsrupulous garage mechanic. It went as far as the video Producer measuring everything with calipers prior to taking it to the garage. That way, you and I could clearly see that everything was within legal tolerance limits.

The garage told him that 2 discs had failed and were below the minimum requirement. Quotes were made in relation to the other 2 discs being scored.

2 discs were then machine skimmed and it was a "ball hair" that was removed when nothing was wrong with them in the first instance. The other 2 were replaced as new but were however the originals ones that had allegedley failed and were also reskimmed.

I cannot recall the cost involved but it only demonstrated that there are people out there who's intention is to rip you off.

If you do not have a regular mechanic that you can trust then at the very least take the brakes to be checked by 2 or 3 different garages who will usually do an inspection for free in the hope that they get the business. Then compare the results and make an informed decision.

Fortunately for me it's my mate that does it for me and others on the forum do it themselves.

Would you consider having someone teach you how to do the brakes yourself?

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
W E L C O M E ! ! ! to the forum.

If you are getting 60k out of a set of brakes, generally speaking, you are doing pretty well.

Driving style and conditions will dictate how long a set of brakes will last.

It is smart/recommended, on our Renegades, that the brake rotors be replaced with the brake pads.

The brake rotors are thin to begin with. Having them resurfaced only causes premature brake rotor failure. When resurfaced, the rotors become too thin to properly dissipate heat and causes the rotors to warp which causes the jeep to shimmy while braking (which can lead to other parts wearing prematurely).

Cheap insurance when doing a proper brake job; replace the brake pads and rotors at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
1,440 Posts
Welcome. With modern ABS and brake based traction control (& even "diff-lock" function on the Renegade) then the most you will get out of a set of disks/rotors is 2 set of pads.

So on the 2nd change of pads you'll find you need to change disks/rotors too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts