Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I have a 2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude, it's been really good - but during the last year, the TPMS system has been mostly OUT - not working... sometimes it works for a week or two, but then it will go out again for a month or two. So I took it to my dealer and had them check it - I have the LifeTime MaxCare Mopar warranty, so it should be covered - right? OK.

So they needed to install a new "RF HUB" to communicate with the TPMS sensors in the wheels - seems to have worked, but the RF HUB also communicates with the KEYFOBs - so they were having issues programming the original keyfobs into the new RF HUB. I have owned this vehicle for 5.5-years and NEVER had a problem with the keyfobs - I have replaced the batteries in the fobs, but they always worked fine.

Of course the dealer wanted to charge me $285 for a new keyfob - I told him I had the MaxCare warranty - and that does cover keyfob replacements, but only 3 or a max of $600 benefit for the first 7 years of the warranty - after that - no warranty on the fobs.

My argument: MY MaxCare warranty is MINE - I paid for it, and I do not want my dealer benefitting from it. If I lose or break a keyfob, then I would expect my warranty to cover that, but I do not like that the dealer is expecting me to simply let them use my warranty.

I have already talked to the service manager and logged a complaint with Mopar Customer Care.

Does anyone have any other insight?

I am an electrical engineer and computer programmer. I understand the security aspect of programming keyfobs, etc, but I think this is something that should be doable - am I wrong? I've seen videos of programming keyfobs into systems and it doesn't look very difficult, just time-consuming and you need the right hardware and software.

Has anyone else ran across this situation before?

Thank you for any feedback!
PAT.

·
Super Moderator
1,666 Posts
There are issues with programming the lock system to accept "used" keys. So if they've replaced part of the system, I guess it won't now accept the original keys as it sees them as having been coded to another system?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This seems like a HUGE design flaw - specifically in my case... why am I expected to absorb the cost of new KEYFOBs or to have my warranty cover it - I did not break them, and I was not warned this might happen. There should be a way to send them back to MOPAR and replaced at the manufacturer's cost for not being able to re-program. Either way, BEWARE Mopar owners... if this continues, I smell a class-action lawsuit. You shouldn't be forced to buy something just to make something else work because "that's the way they designed it".

·
Super Moderator
1,666 Posts
Agreed. Cost should be on FCA. (Or Stellantis as they are now known.)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hi - I have a 2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude, it's been really good - but during the last year, the TPMS system has been mostly OUT - not working... sometimes it works for a week or two, but then it will go out again for a month or two. So I took it to my dealer and had them check it - I have the LifeTime MaxCare Mopar warranty, so it should be covered - right? OK.

So they needed to install a new "RF HUB" to communicate with the TPMS sensors in the wheels - seems to have worked, but the RF HUB also communicates with the KEYFOBs - so they were having issues programming the original keyfobs into the new RF HUB. I have owned this vehicle for 5.5-years and NEVER had a problem with the keyfobs - I have replaced the batteries in the fobs, but they always worked fine.

Of course the dealer wanted to charge me $285 for a new keyfob - I told him I had the MaxCare warranty - and that does cover keyfob replacements, but only 3 or a max of $600 benefit for the first 7 years of the warranty - after that - no warranty on the fobs.

My argument: MY MaxCare warranty is MINE - I paid for it, and I do not want my dealer benefitting from it. If I lose or break a keyfob, then I would expect my warranty to cover that, but I do not like that the dealer is expecting me to simply let them use my warranty.

I have already talked to the service manager and logged a complaint with Mopar Customer Care.

Does anyone have any other insight?

I am an electrical engineer and computer programmer. I understand the security aspect of programming keyfobs, etc, but I think this is something that should be doable - am I wrong? I've seen videos of programming keyfobs into systems and it doesn't look very difficult, just time-consuming and you need the right hardware and software.

Has anyone else ran across this situation before?

Thank you for any feedback!
PAT.
Hello PatPicciano,

Sorry to hear that! I would encourage you to message our team privately so we can look into this matter further.

Hannah
Jeep Cares

1 - 6 of 6 Posts