Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well first, a big thanks to a bunch of guys figuring out the differences between the 4, 6, & 9 speaker systems, as far as upgrades are concerned. I just purchased this new Renegade and I absolutely love it, except the stereo system is VERY BAD quality. I am going to see if one of my professional installation contacts can rip this system apart, and recommend various speaker replacements, that do the following: greatly improve the overall sound, do not compromise impedance levels (which create sound balance issues, and may tax the factory amplifier), do not require an amp or head unit upgrade, does not interfere with any of the current head unit's "vehicle related" features. This will be my first objective.

I will later delve into replacing the head unit, amplifier and subwoofer, along with all speakers. Thank you much!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Perhaps a little off topic but I don't know where else to post, I got the sport model which I believe has four speakers, does anybody know if I am usually able to add speakers to the dashboard? It looks like I have the housing but they are just empty...( also this plastic mesh cover annoyingly vibrates sometimes)

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm looking forward to what you discover. I have the "upgraded" 9-speaker audio system in my Trailhawk, and after living with it for a month, I have to say it's probably the worst sound system I've ever owned (for music at least). The sub is tuned so poorly that I wish I could easily disable it (the Equalizer settings have minimal effect). I don't know if poor speaker quality is the problem or not, but that sounds likely. However, I did some ear experiments with sound reflection in the cabin and got some unpleasant results when compared to the same sound source in our other vehicles, so some of this may be the shape of the cabin, window angles, etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
de22,

I have the 9 Speaker Beats Audio in my Latitude as well. I don't think it sounds that bad. I had the upgraded system in my previous Hyundai with the Bass Tube and this system is comparable. It isn't quite as loud but still sounds pretty clean to me.

I do not listen to music with a lot of bass and ended up cranking the bass down in my other car.

What type of music do you listen too ? What system are you coming from ?

Thanks
Blazer514

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2015, so Beats was not an option. I'm comparing it to the stock systems in the Toyota Prius II, the Nissan Altima, the Dodge Ram 1500 and the Lexus 450h. To my ear, the Lexus sounds the best (which it should), but all of these outclass the 9-speaker Renegade. The Dodge Ram suffers from the oversized cabin problem, but it's a truck so I don't mind as much. Like you, I also tend to de-emphasize the bass settings in most cars, because I think they tend to unnaturally hype the lows at the expense of clarity and separation. I mostly listen to "hi-fi" type recordings (classical, jazz, pop, soul, prog, etc), and not dance, house, hip-hop, etc, which tend to have bias toward hype-y bass.

·
Registered
113 Posts
With the 9 speaker system, if you put your ear close to each speaker, you will realize that most of the sound comes from the 3.5in speakers in the dashboard, so you can get the best improvement by starting with replacing those, which is fairly easy to do. I used Infinitys and others have had good results with Polk and Kickers. There's a thread in the audio section. I'm fairly pleased with the sound of mine now. If you (the OP) decide to go the whole hog then I would be interested to hear your experiences, but you might want to start with my suggestion first.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm looking forward to what you discover. I have the "upgraded" 9-speaker audio system in my Trailhawk, and after living with it for a month, I have to say it's probably the worst sound system I've ever owned (for music at least). The sub is tuned so poorly that I wish I could easily disable it (the Equalizer settings have minimal effect). I don't know if poor speaker quality is the problem or not, but that sounds likely. However, I did some ear experiments with sound reflection in the cabin and got some unpleasant results when compared to the same sound source in our other vehicles, so some of this may be the shape of the cabin, window angles, etc.
U got to change U Music Style to this ... Beats Audio is made for that kinda Musi Bro ... >:D:D:x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CL6n0FJZpk&index=7&list=PLD8ADD70E50945DFE

·
Registered
44 Posts
de22,

Thanks for the response. I have similar music tastes. I wonder how the Beats compares to the 9 system that was in your 2016. Hopefully without a lot of trouble you can upgrade the speakers and be back in business. I have a 160 GB Ipod that has over 60 GB of music, a 32 GB Thumbdrive, my Amazon music library and Pandora via bluetooth, and the 1 year XM/Sirius. I do have some reception trouble with the sat radio but otherwise am loving my Renegade.

Good luck,
Blazer514

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
I have a 2015, so Beats was not an option. I'm comparing it to the stock systems in the Toyota Prius II, the Nissan Altima, the Dodge Ram 1500 and the Lexus 450h. To my ear, the Lexus sounds the best (which it should), but all of these outclass the 9-speaker Renegade. The Dodge Ram suffers from the oversized cabin problem, but it's a truck so I don't mind as much. Like you, I also tend to de-emphasize the bass settings in most cars, because I think they tend to unnaturally hype the lows at the expense of clarity and separation. I mostly listen to "hi-fi" type recordings (classical, jazz, pop, soul, prog, etc), and not dance, house, hip-hop, etc, which tend to have bias toward hype-y bass.

You would be served well by swapping the 3.5" dash speakers out for something decent, and replacing the front door speakers. I used jbl (6038 iirc) in mine. Haven't done the back doors yet, but with the kickers in the dash and the jbls in the front doors, performance is a lot better than stock. The stock 3.5 speakers are poop and super harsh.

·
Registered
6 Posts
With the 9 speaker system, if you put your ear close to each speaker, you will realize that most of the sound comes from the 3.5in speakers in the dashboard, so you can get the best improvement by starting with replacing those, which is fairly easy to do. I used Infinitys and others have had good results with Polk and Kickers. There's a thread in the audio section. I'm fairly pleased with the sound of mine now. If you (the OP) decide to go the whole hog then I would be interested to hear your experiences, but you might want to start with my suggestion first.
Thanks Malcom02, that sound like a good plan.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well first, a big thanks to a bunch of guys figuring out the differences between the 4, 6, & 9 speaker systems, as far as upgrades are concerned. I just purchased this new Renegade and I absolutely love it, except the stereo system is VERY BAD quality. I am going to see if one of my professional installation contacts can rip this system apart, and recommend various speaker replacements, that do the following: greatly improve the overall sound, do not compromise impedance levels (which create sound balance issues, and may tax the factory amplifier), do not require an amp or head unit upgrade, does not interfere with any of the current head unit's "vehicle related" features. This will be my first objective.

I will later delve into replacing the head unit, amplifier and subwoofer, along with all speakers. Thank you much!
k

What system came with your renegade prior to upgrade

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sub

Does not seem to be a ton of real info on these questions other than replace the dash speakers, but then I read some are having issues with needing a bass blocker ?? too make sure those don't sound bad as well. I have a 2015 with 9 speaker set up and so far it sounds pretty good to me, all except that the sub area rattles, I thinks its the large plastic grill which seems flimsy and loose anyway, has anyone gotten in there and tried to make it less loose, with some sort of material?

Thanks for any info or pics too.

Chris

·
Registered
20 Posts
You ever find out the problem with the poor sound quality? I have a 16 limited with the beats.... Eq hardly works it just plain sucks! Severely underpowered...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well, the day Beats associates with something that actually sounds good will be the first! According to several other threads, the beats system is wired in a way that is illogical and doesn't make audio sense...so part of the problem is the speakers are pretty cheap and the other part of the problem is illogical usage of Freq to individual speakers- sending a full range signal to a speaker that cannot produce full range sound is illogical and not send a full range signal to another that would be more capable of producing some bass is illogical!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.