Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an interesting article on Allpar:

Sergio Marchionne, CEO of Fiat Chrysler spoke with Automotive News reporter Larry Vellequette about the future of V8 engines and the ZF 9-speed automatic used by Chrysler. Many customers and critics have complained about this transmission, particularly in the popular Cherokee.

Mr. Marchionne said they and ZF had been working hard to fix issues, and that “There were some things that were built in …. that proved to be, in hindsight, unwise…” resulting in changes for the 2016 cars.

https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/an-zf-mopar-9-speed-fixed-v8s-to-continue.162270/

The full article is here:

Larry P. Vellequette at Automotive News

The other major powertrain issue hanging over FCA has been ongoing performance problems with its nine-speed automatic transmission. The nine-speed, which debuted in the 2014 Jeep Cherokee, had been the source of troubling consumer complaints even as it rolled out in other vehicles. Earlier this month, FCA said it had produced its one-millionth unit of the nine-speed at its massive transmission complex in Kokomo, Ind.

Marchionne said changes have been made to the nine-speed for the 2016 model year that should quiet its critics.

"We've been working our ass off with [designer ZF Friedrichshafen] on the nine speed," he said. "There were some things that were built in as a technical solution that proved to be, in hindsight, unwise, and so the remedial stuff has been put in place."

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...will-continue-to-make-v-8s-despite-tightening

So this is good news it the hope most issues get worked out for the 2016 Renegade 9 speed transmission. On the other hand, could this just be the CEO driveling yet again as they are putting the 9 speed in more and more FCA cars, including the new minivan.

However, when he says "and so the remedial stuff has been put in place" does that mean the real fix will not come until 2017?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
But why would some cars be okay (like mine) while others have had major problems? And many others needed software upgrades to get their transmissions to work correctly.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Or it could just be talking about the Cherokee.
The Renegade, Cherokee, Chrysler 200, Fiat 500X, Ram ProMaster City all use the same 9-speed 948TE transmission (Sales Code DFH)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_9HP_transmission

When it reaches full capacity, Tipton will ship about 800,000 finished transmissions a year in all-wheel, four-wheel and two-wheel drive configurations. The Tipton-built nine-speeds are sent to Toledo, Ohio, for use in the Jeep Cherokee and to Sterling Heights, Mich., for the Chrysler 200, as well as to FIAT plants in Melfi, Italy and Pernambuco, Brazil for the Jeep Renegade; the TOFAS plant in Bursa, Turkey for the Ram ProMaster; and China. The potential exists to expand production to other international facilities as needed.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tw...-one-millionth-nine-speed-produced-2015-09-03

·
Registered
378 Posts
FCA has been messing with software for a long time on this transmission. It is my understanding from other sources that the transmission engineers were told to clean up the software issues for all the car lines after consulting with ZF. Something called prefill limits and hold limits were changed in the software. I don't think there has been any changes to the hardware itself.

·
Registered
29 Posts
FCA has been messing with software for a long time on this transmission. It is my understanding from other sources that the transmission engineers were told to clean up the software issues for all the car lines after consulting with ZF. Something called prefill limits and hold limits were changed in the software. I don't think there has been any changes to the hardware itself.
Hopefully it fixes it for the 15's too. Mine is finally, improved to what I would say is slightly less than tolerable after updates and some miles, but it still, especially turning a corner from a stop, seems like it forgets it needs to make the jeep go. Sometimes it is like it's in neutral then grabs, sometimes the motor will not go faster, like it's in too tall of a gear?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hopefully it fixes it for the 15's too. Mine is finally, improved to what I would say is slightly less than tolerable after updates and some miles, but it still, especially turning a corner from a stop, seems like it forgets it needs to make the jeep go. Sometimes it is like it's in neutral then grabs, sometimes the motor will not go faster, like it's in too tall of a gear?
start a lemon law case! Mine Stops in the middle of sharp turns or uturns. it doesn't always shift and red lines. It got so bad that its been parked for 2 months going on its 3rd. ive been driving a second car and still paying for the paper weight in my drive way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Cherokee Limited 2014. It is now on its third trainee. Guess what? This latest (2016) ZF 9 speed appears to work perfectly. All gremlins gone; the car has more power than ever; the shifts are greatly improved at lower speeds (once in a while you can still clunk it if you lift off unpredictably on the gas) and all is well. This is with about 7500 miles on the new box, but there's a world of difference. In my opinion FCA and ZF have conquered the beast.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I have a Cherokee Limited 2014. It is now on its third trainee. Guess what? This latest (2016) ZF 9 speed appears to work perfectly. All gremlins gone; the car has more power than ever; the shifts are greatly improved at lower speeds (once in a while you can still clunk it if you lift off unpredictably on the gas) and all is well. This is with about 7500 miles on the new box, but there's a world of difference. In my opinion FCA and ZF have conquered the beast.
Fingers crossed that FCA and ZF have cured the 9 speed transmission issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.