Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took car for oil change as the light came on.i then was told about the oil consumption test.im going on a trip now I'm worried about driving the dealer told me to keep checking the oil come back after 1600 miles.why didn't they order a motor or give me another car? I'm a worried women traveling alone.thank you marlebe159

·
Super Moderator
4,681 Posts

and enjoy the forum!

Just keep and eye on your oil level. Check it before you go on and trips or at least once a week in the morning. Have fun with your little Jeep.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

and enjoy the forum!

Just keep and eye on your oil level. Check it before you go on and trips or at least once a week in the morning. Have fun with your little Jeep.
Thank you so much..I am worried about getting stuck and being alone but I have to take this trip. I'll let you know how it's going.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

When you say the "light came on," do you meant the service indicator (not sure if your model had that); or the low oil pressure warning?
Rectangle Font Automotive exterior Symbol Electric blue

If it was the service indicator, that just meant that it was time for a routine oil change.

If it was the low oil pressure warning, that probably meant the oil level was low. Not low enough (yet) to damage the engine, but certainly getting there.

Which engine do you have? As I understand it, the 2.4L turbo "Tigershark" engine had issues with oil consumption; that's probably why the dealer recommended a consumption test.

But it's not like the engine all of a sudden loses all its oil. It's just that it consumes ("burns") oil faster than it's supposed to. (Ideally, there shouldn't be any oil consumption between changes; but normally there is a bit. That's why, even with an engine in perfect shape, you've still got to check the oil periodically -- about once a month under normal conditions.)

Going on a trip is fine. Just check the oil often, like the others have written. Maybe even once a day on the trip. And consider carrying a quart bottle of the proper oil (ask your dealer what that is).

As to why they didn't give you a new engine or new car, your Renegade is out of warranty. Besides, this problem isn't serious enough to do that. If they eventually can't fix the oil consumption issue, then yes -- there might be thought of a new engine. But that's really expensive (for them and/or for you), and they'll want to try to fix the problem first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a warranty on it.it said need oil change when it wasn't due yet.thats when they told me there was a recall for the oil consumption and bring it back after 1500 miles I would have to drive a lot to get that much mileage..it's just another big headache..thank you for your message I appreciate it :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I have a warranty on it.
That's good. Who's providing the warranty?

it said need oil change when it wasn't due yet.
Oh, OK. On these vehicles, oil changes aren't on fixed schedules (at least they're not for 2021). Rather, The Renegade's computer figures out when you need an oil change, based on how you're driving -- like, frequent short trips would probably mean more-frequent oil changes. So I assume what was showing wasn't the low oil pressure warning, but the service indicator -- which is good.

I don't believe it's a recall as such; I think it's a "service action" or similar; where they're aware there might be a potential problem with some vehicles, but that aren't dire safety issues (which would result in a recall). So that may be why the dealer recommended the consumption test; not that there was something definitely wrong (which they would have fixed), but just to determine whether there is a problem.

Are you checking your oil level regularly? How's it been?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts