Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st Tire Rotation "Walmart" Screwed Up (1) Ea. Lug Bolt on Tire Rotation Removing the 1st Bolt on 1st Tire. I Told Them to STOP! & Took Vehicle to Tire America For Tire Rotation (Had to "Buy" New Lug Bolt) Prior to Going There. Tire America Performed 2nd Scheduled Tire Rotation. Went For 3rd Scheduled Tire Rotation @ a Shop That "Only" Does Tires & Technician Said, "I May Be Able to Get These Lug Bolts Off. But, I Can't Guarantee I Can Get Them "Torqued" to Specs.

****Here's the Problem. The Wheel Lug Bolts Are "Not" Solid Bolts. They Have a "Chrome" Cosmetic Cover Swedged Over Them****IF Any One Uses Anything Other Than a (6) Point Socket on These (6) Point Covers it Will Distort the Chrome Cover**** Also, IF They Lay on Them Hard Using an Impact Gun Even (if) They Are Using the Appropriate (6) Point Socket & Tighten Them Up Hard Using an Impact Gun. It "Will" Distort These Chrome Covers**** ( I Needed (9) @ $6.15 ea. = $55.35) Jeep Dealership Only Had (3) in Stock) & Vehicle Was Stuck Up on Rack. You Will Likely Never Know Because Distortion is "Hidden" Down in Valley of Wheel Recess. The Technician Had to Grind/Cut Off the Chrome Covers to Get Lug Bolts on & Use "Smaller" Socket to Get Me on My Way. Bad Part is (if) You Have Flat Tire on Highway. "You" May Never Ever Get Your Lug Bolt(s) Off & Have to Have a TOW

I Called Jeep Dealership & Ask (if) There Were Any TSB's Cust. Bulletins or Recall on These & They Said "No" ****Beware*** Makes Sure Technicians "Only" Use (6) Point Socket & Uses "Only" HAND TOOLS to Remove/Replace "NO" Impact Guns (See Attached Photo)

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
1st Tire Rotation "Walmart" Screwed Up (1) Ea. Lug Bolt on Tire Rotation Removing the 1st Bolt on 1st Tire. I Told Them to STOP! & Took Vehicle to Tire America For Tire Rotation (Had to "Buy" New Lug Bolt) Prior to Going There. Tire America Performed 2nd Scheduled Tire Rotation. Went For 3rd Scheduled Tire Rotation @ a Shop That "Only" Does Tires & Technician Said, "I May Be Able to Get These Lug Bolts Off. But, I Can't Guarantee I Can Get Them "Torqued" to Specs.

****Here's the Problem. The Wheel Lug Bolts Are "Not" Solid Bolts. They Have a "Chrome" Cosmetic Cover Swedged Over Them****IF Any One Uses Anything Other Than a (6) Point Socket on These (6) Point Covers it Will Distort the Chrome Cover**** Also, IF They Lay on Them Hard Using an Impact Gun Even (if) They Are Using the Appropriate (6) Point Socket & Tighten Them Up Hard Using an Impact Gun. It "Will" Distort These Chrome Covers**** ( I Needed (9) @ $6.15 ea. = $55.35) Jeep Dealership Only Had (3) in Stock) & Vehicle Was Stuck Up on Rack. You Will Likely Never Know Because Distortion is "Hidden" Down in Valley of Wheel Recess. The Technician Had to Grind/Cut Off the Chrome Covers to Get Lug Bolts on & Use "Smaller" Socket to Get Me on My Way. Bad Part is (if) You Have Flat Tire on Highway. "You" May Never Ever Get Your Lug Bolt(s) Off & Have to Have a TOW

I Called Jeep Dealership & Ask (if) There Were Any TSB's Cust. Bulletins or Recall on These & They Said "No" ****Beware*** Makes Sure Technicians "Only" Use (6) Point Socket & Uses "Only" HAND TOOLS to Remove/Replace "NO" Impact Guns (See Attached Photo)
Wow you would think they would be solid lug bolts,what year is this??????

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same thing with my 2016 limited. I ended up buying solid lug studs on Amazon I think they were slightly under $30. I broke a bunch of extensions trying to get the capped ones off to change my brake pads.

·
Super Moderator
3,336 Posts
This is nothing new! My JK has chrome caps on the lung nuts too most lugs or studs that are stock come that way.

The problem is with the DA tire guy that did not know how to remove the correctly!

They do get beat up if you use an impact gun wrong I replace my lugs every few years from nicks and stuff that is the cost of keeping stock lugs or studs.

I have removed wheels many of time from the BU's since 2015 and never broke a wheel stud.
Good luck with your venture.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Exactly why I do ALL my own maintenance. :(

·
Registered
102 Posts

Thank you for sharing with readers. Your pic reveals a really poor choice by Fiat/Jeep.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Had the same thing with my 2016 limited. I ended up buying solid lug studs on Amazon I think they were slightly under $30. I broke a bunch of extensions trying to get the capped ones off to change my brake pads.
Thanks for sharing. I think I want to buy a set and carry them in the car for when I need them. Is it straightforward to find and identify the correct lug studs? I have never done anything like this, and am unsure about industry standards vs. Fiat/Jeep standards and afraid of ordering the wrong thing. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
681 Posts
This isn't just an FCA choice, they are quite common (Ford, etc) with alloy wheels because they look nice. You could use chrome on standard size heads, but that would start flaking after one or two uses (and is an environmental problem).
The problems are a combination of people wanting pretty wheels and mechanics who are 20 years behind the times with their knowledge and practices.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Exactly why I do ALL my own maintenance. :(
Yes, I swapped mine front to back the other day - normal tools (6 point socket, torque wrench) - with no problem or damage.
Over tightening with an air gun is the usual problem - damages heads and threads.

Thanks for sharing. I think I want to buy a set and carry them in the car for when I need them. Is it straightforward to find and identify the correct lug studs? I have never done anything like this, and am unsure about industry standards vs. Fiat/Jeep standards and afraid of ordering the wrong thing. Thanks in advance.
These are safety critical items, so if you aren't sure what you are about leave it alone. Just keep the car away from gorillas.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Like mentioned, its NOT just a Jeep/Fiat thing. Ford, Land Rover and MANY other car makers use these. The biggest problem is moisture getting in between the chrome cap and the steel lug. Corrosion happens, the cap swells, than the six point socket that is supposed to fit, doesn't. It's a poor design. Period.

The lugs that came with my winter wheels for our Renegade thru TireRack are all steel, no caps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Call me old fashioned, but I consider that lug nuts or bolts or whatever holds on a wheel should be expected to last many many decades, being put on and taken off many many times. This is ridiculous.

Especially on an off road vehicle where tires may be changed under primitive conditions far from roadside assistance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone have a link to get solid quality lug bolts of the correct size for a Jeep Renegade that are solid steel and don't have this problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is a link these are very similar to what I bought. If you buy the silver zinc coated ones like the ones I bought they are $36 on this website. Do yourself a favor and switch them all out ASAP. My break pad change literally took me 4 days of hassle because some not so bright lube tech had a impact and cranked mine on too tight! Pic is of lug sans cap (oh fun surprise without the cap it’s a half size socket you need to remove it). If worried about buying from this website buy from NAPA they carry them but a set will run about $70 + shipping. They are m12 x 1.25 . My Jeep dealer quoted me $300 to replace all of them with the same factory capped lugs. Don’t get me wrong I love my Jeep this is just a part that needs to be replaced!
http://www.renegadeready.com/Jeep-Renegade-Lug-Bolt-Set-by-Farad--Set-of-20--M12x125--60°-Cone-Seat--Black_p_162.html

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Very interesting, but I see pics of lug "nuts" shown here as well as lug "bolts". What is originally installed on the Jeep Renegade ('15-'19)? Is it a nut or a bolt ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Very interesting, but I see pics of lug "nuts" shown here as well as lug "bolts". What is originally installed on the Jeep Renegade ('15-'19)? Is it a nut or a bolt ?
If you are talking about the picture in the first post above, l believe you are looking at a lug bolt and several of the caps that were removed from their bolts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you are concerned about your lug bolts distorting you can buy a special socket made to deal with the issue: Lug Nut Flip Socket - 18.5mm x 19.5mm. This would mean your would have to carry the socket, an extension, and a breaker bar or ratchet in your Jeep.

Designed to service 19mm lug nuts with missing or distorted caps found on GM & Chrysler vehicles
  • 18.5mm size fits 19mm lug nuts missing chrome cover
  • 19.5mm size fits 19mm lug nuts with damaged or distorted caps

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
This usually happens when the wrong size socket is used to remove or install (tighten) the lug nuts. The stainless steel cap (stupid idea) becomes deformed (swollen) when a; for example, a standard socket is used on a metric lug bolt.

The lug bolts will need to be replaced.
The original lug studs can be removed by using a socket that will fit over the swollen lug bolt. It might even be necessary to beat a socket on to the swollen lug bolt to get them off (6 point socket is preferred, (less likely to slip)).

·
Registered
5 Posts

Here's the Problem. The Wheel Lug Bolts Are "Not" Solid Bolts. They Have a "Chrome" Cosmetic Cover Swedged Over Them****IF Any One Uses Anything Other Than a (6) Point Socket on These (6) Point Covers it Will Distort the Chrome Cover Also, IF They Lay on Them Hard Using an Impact Gun Even (if) They Are Using the Appropriate (6) Point Socket & Tighten Them Up Hard Using an Impact Gun. It "Will" Distort These Chrome Covers**** ( I Needed (9) @ $6.15 ea. = $55.35) Jeep Dealership Only Had (3) in Stock) & Vehicle Was Stuck Up on Rack. You Will Likely Never Know Because Distortion is "Hidden" Down in Valley of Wheel Recess. The Technician Had to Grind/Cut Off the Chrome Covers to Get Lug Bolts on & Use "Smaller" Socket to Get Me on My Way. Bad Part is (if) You Have Flat Tire on Highway. "You" May Never Ever Get Your Lug Bolt(s) Off & Have to Have a TOW

I Called Jeep Dealership & Ask (if) There Were Any TSB's Cust. Bulletins or Recall on These & They Said "No" *Beware Makes Sure Technicians "Only" Use (6) Point Socket & Uses "Only" HAND TOOLS to Remove/Replace "NO" Impact Guns (See Attached Photo)
yes i know mine are the same the dealer said they were swollen? but they want 20 a piece so I need to find cheaper ones. and i have no spare just green stuff, no jack or tire tool.... i have got to fix this problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is a link these are very similar to what I bought. If you buy the silver zinc coated ones like the ones I bought they are $36 on this website. Do yourself a favor and switch them all out ASAP. My break pad change literally took me 4 days of hassle because some not so bright lube tech had a impact and cranked mine on too tight! Pic is of lug sans cap (oh fun surprise without the cap it’s a half size socket you need to remove it). If worried about buying from this website buy from NAPA they carry them but a set will run about $70 + shipping. They are m12 x 1.25 . My Jeep dealer quoted me $300 to replace all of them with the same factory capped lugs. Don’t get me wrong I love my Jeep this is just a part that needs to be replaced!
Jeep Renegade Lug Bolt Set by Farad - Set of 20 - M12x1.25 - 60° Cone Seat - Black
oh thank you that is much better than the dealer

1 - 20 of 22 Posts