Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Exactly why I do ALL my own maintenance. :(
My favorite was the Costco guy who I asked to use a torque wrench a while back. He used the impact gun first, then went around with the torque wrench but they all instantly went "click-click-click" without moving, and he was happy. I pointed out that the only thing he measured is that the lugs are AT LEAST the recommended torque setting, but possibly much much higher, and that's not how you use a torque wrench. He just said that's normal procedure and walked away dismissively. Sure enough, I couldn't get them off the truck myself even using a long breaker bar as they were probably 200ftlbs and had to get help.

·
Registered
136 Posts
1st Tire Rotation "Walmart" Screwed Up (1) Ea. Lug Bolt on Tire Rotation Removing the 1st Bolt on 1st Tire. I Told Them to STOP! & Took Vehicle to Tire America For Tire Rotation (Had to "Buy" New Lug Bolt) Prior to Going There. Tire America Performed 2nd Scheduled Tire Rotation. Went For 3rd Scheduled Tire Rotation @ a Shop That "Only" Does Tires & Technician Said, "I May Be Able to Get These Lug Bolts Off. But, I Can't Guarantee I Can Get Them "Torqued" to Specs.

Here's the Problem. The Wheel Lug Bolts Are "Not" Solid Bolts. They Have a "Chrome" Cosmetic Cover Swedged Over Them****IF Any One Uses Anything Other Than a (6) Point Socket on These (6) Point Covers it Will Distort the Chrome Cover Also, IF They Lay on Them Hard Using an Impact Gun Even (if) They Are Using the Appropriate (6) Point Socket & Tighten Them Up Hard Using an Impact Gun. It "Will" Distort These Chrome Covers**** ( I Needed (9) @ $6.15 ea. = $55.35) Jeep Dealership Only Had (3) in Stock) & Vehicle Was Stuck Up on Rack. You Will Likely Never Know Because Distortion is "Hidden" Down in Valley of Wheel Recess. The Technician Had to Grind/Cut Off the Chrome Covers to Get Lug Bolts on & Use "Smaller" Socket to Get Me on My Way. Bad Part is (if) You Have Flat Tire on Highway. "You" May Never Ever Get Your Lug Bolt(s) Off & Have to Have a TOW

I Called Jeep Dealership & Ask (if) There Were Any TSB's Cust. Bulletins or Recall on These & They Said "No" *Beware Makes Sure Technicians "Only" Use (6) Point Socket & Uses "Only" HAND TOOLS to Remove/Replace "NO" Impact Guns (See Attached Photo)
go to madness auto and buy a set without the chrome cap. the chrome cap expands and you have to hammer the socket onto the lug nut to remove. just a bad design, change before you get stuck somewhere and your lug wrench will not fit on the lugs

21 - 22 of 22 Posts