Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I hope this doesn't end up too terribly long winded. I am having an issue with my GPS navigation in that it frequently does not get a signal lock on the satellites. I can go to the Where Am I option to see if it is locked on to any of the birds or not. When it does get a lock, it works fine (obviously) but it more often than not, doesn't.

I finally got fed up with it and took it to the local dealership and they stated I needed a software update, which they performed. I was going out of town in a couple of days and got some good use out of it, while it worked. I thought all would be well, but it's back to its old habits. Interestingly enough, I can disconnect the battery (thank God the negative is a quick release) for a minute or so and reconnect and for a period of time, the GPS will work fine.

When I got back from my trip, I went back to the dealership and they stated I needed a new head unit. Unfortunately, mine is not one you can 'exchange' and get a new one at a cheaper price, therefore it was going to cost me $1200.00 for a new head unit. So I asked the tech if I bought a used head unit, could they re-code it for my VIN. He said he could not. Not for some legal type thing, they simply did not have the ability. I found this rather odd.

So my first question is, should a dealership be able to do this. If I bought a used head unit and provided documentation that I at least obtained it legally (i.e. it's not a stolen unit), shouldn't they be able to re-code it to my VIN?

Secondly, if that truly is not an option, is it possible to install an Android based head unit? If so, has anyone done so? What functionality, if any, did you loose? I don't particularly want to go this route, but $1200.00 for a head unit is a bit ridiculous, plus the install fee and any other things they come up with.

I have noticed one oddity about the unit. The clock will not hold its time setting. I had it set to get the time from the GPS signal, but even when it gets a lock on the birds, the time is way off and, of course, you cant change it without using the option to set it manually. Even then, it wont hold the time.

I mention that because GPS is largely about time. So I wondered if there may be some kind of battery in there, like the RTC or CMOS batteries in computers that may have wore out and needs to be replaced, and if in doing so, might fix the issue. My thinking is/was that if the system clock is way off, perhaps it's looking for satellites that just are in view. That's kind of out there, I know, just trying to get this thing fixed.

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
4,104 Posts
welcomegroup

and enjoy the forum!

Go to a differnt dealer all dealers can reprogram a head unit if you have the lock code from the used one. Sounds like they just did not give a ****. If that dose not work for you you can all ways get a Garmin and use that. They are much better than the stock GPS and you get free update all the time and some of them have free traffic too.

Reactions: RedDirt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I thought that may be the case, but wasn't 100%. I thought, well, maybe something has changed. I guess I need to try and find a replacement head unit first and make sure that the lock code is available. Heck, I don't even know the lock code of mine or where to get that info.

If I end up having to go the way of a Garmin, I want to make sure Ive done all I can to exhaust the OEM route.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts