Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I ordered a 2016 Model, and I have come to find out that it was ordered wrong, so my dealer has graciously offered to order me another one, so I have an opportuniy now to change what I originally ordered, and now I am concerned about the MySky feature that I had originally ordered...

I am 6'4" and I have sat in a 2015 Renegade with MySky and my head doesn't touch the lower headliner of a MySky equipped Renegade (as opposed to the normal roof which has gobs of headroom), so that is good, but I am concerned about all of the rattles that people are reporting, and I am also concerned about handling and stability around corners. My dealer isnt sure about either one, so I wanted to ask around on here and see what you all think.

I have driven a 2015 Renegade 6-speed, 4x4, without mySky and it handles great and I loved it. But dummy me was so excited at the time that I forgot that I should drive the Renegade with the mySky to see if I noticed if handling was less responsive due to the giant holes in the roof.

I know this is a longshot, but has anyone on here driven both with mySky and with the solid roof and noticed a difference in handling when carving out a corner?

Has anyone been able to successfully eliminate the MySky rattle 100% over an extended period of time? I live in a place where it does get cold, between 20 to 40 degrees F in the winter, but doesn't snow too much here, and in the summer it will get into the 80-100F degree range all the time. So yes it does get hot here, and it does get cold here, but I'm not worried about tons of snow caving in the MySky roof panels.

Please share your thoughts and experiences - they are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
499 Posts
This is not a vehicle I carve corners with. In fact, if I tried to do anything that would make me worry about mysky stability, I'd be flipping the vehicle mysky or no mysky. But no, I didn't notice any handling differences between the solid roof version and the mysky that I eventually got.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is not a vehicle I carve corners with. In fact, if I tried to do anything that would make me worry about mysky stability, I'd be flipping the vehicle mysky or no mysky. But no, I didn't notice any handling differences between the solid roof version and the mysky that I eventually got.
Thank you for your input, when I test drove the Latitude 4x4 with the solid roof, I actually carved corners with it on the test drive, I wanted to see what the roll/flex was like. For a jeep, this thing handles well, the body roll that is experienced isnt that bad and actually seems to help grip. I bet the "bar" that splits the two mysky panels is there for structural rigidity, and helps to reduce flex.

Do your MySky Panels rattle at all?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Thank you for your input, when I test drove the Latitude 4x4 with the solid roof, I actually carved corners with it on the test drive, I wanted to see what the roll/flex was like. For a jeep, this thing handles well, the body roll that is experienced isnt that bad and actually seems to help grip. I bet the "bar" that splits the two mysky panels is there for structural rigidity, and helps to reduce flex.

Do your MySky Panels rattle at all?
My other car is a Subaru BRZ, lightweight, RWD, very low center of gravity - I guess when I think of carving corners, it's within the context of that car and if I tried anything matching that activity on either of my Jeeps, I'd be upside down. But yes, it handles well for a Jeep.

As for rattling, no - I seem to be one of the very few people who don't have that problem on here. Manufactured in May. In fact, I believe I was the first documented MySky owner on here.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My other car is a Subaru BRZ, lightweight, RWD, very low center of gravity - I guess when I think of carving corners, it's within the context of that car and if I tried anything matching that activity on either of my Jeeps, I'd be upside down. But yes, it handles well for a Jeep.

As for rattling, no - I seem to be one of the very few people who don't have that problem on here. Manufactured in May. In fact, I believe I was the first documented MySky owner on here.
I know what a BRZ is, LOL! Here is my other car, I go to track events and I have modified this car for maximum handling. I have driven many other cars as well and This Jeep actually reminds me of a miata -stay with me here - The Miata MX-5, even the newer ones have large amounts of body roll, almost silly - but the body roll can actually be utilized by the driver to increases grip. I feel like this jeep is similar, and it actually helps grip mid-corner and reduces its chance of rollover.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I know what a BRZ is, LOL! Here is my other car, I go to track events and I have modified this car for maximum handling. I have driven many other cars as well and This Jeep actually reminds me of a miata -stay with me here - The Miata MX-5, even the newer ones have large amounts of body roll, almost silly - but the body roll can actually be utilized by the driver to increases grip. I feel like this jeep is similar, and it actually helps grip mid-corner and reduces its chance of rollover.
Wow - nice sports car!

I have the Latitude 6 speed turbo and Powered My Sky - so far no rattling (manufactured June 15th). I have not noticed any problems with cornering and body stability/rigidity and I have driven up our mountain road pretty fast trying out the turbo to see where the sweet spots are for acceleration. I test drove a non-my sky Limited and don't notice much difference, but I didn't really drive fast around corners with the Limited.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow - nice sports car!

I have the Latitude 6 speed turbo and Powered My Sky - so far no rattling (manufactured June 15th). I have not noticed any problems with cornering and body stability/rigidity and I have driven up our mountain road pretty fast trying out the turbo to see where the sweet spots are for acceleration. I test drove a non-my sky Limited and don't notice much difference, but I didn't really drive fast around corners with the Limited.
Thanks for your input hoodoo! I wonder if climate has anything to do with the rattles, people are saying that they rattle when hot...do you live in a place that is mostly cold during the year?

I am also ordering a Latitude, orange with 6 speed turbo! Sounds like the mysky is rigid enough, I plan on keeping my Renegade for a long time. Maybe I will lease it with the MySky panels and then buy it at the end if the MySky holds up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks for your input hoodoo! I wonder if climate has anything to do with the rattles, people are saying that they rattle when hot...do you live in a place that is mostly cold during the year?

I am also ordering a Latitude, orange with 6 speed turbo! Sounds like the mysky is rigid enough, I plan on keeping my Renegade for a long time. Maybe I will lease it with the MySky panels and then buy it at the end if the MySky holds up.
You're welcome! We've had our Renegade since Sep 14th and it's fairly far north here (60 miles from Canada) so yeah it's definitely not a hot region here, although we've had a few days where it was high 70s and low 80s during the past week or two. We had the roof open on and off on the warm days. You do get a fair amount of wind noise but I think that's to be expected. Once we close it it seems to seat itself nice and firmly and I haven't heard anything from the roof while it's closed.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're welcome! We've had our Renegade since Sep 14th and it's fairly far north here (60 miles from Canada) so yeah it's definitely not a hot region here, although we've had a few days where it was high 70s and low 80s during the past week or two. We had the roof open on and off on the warm days. You do get a fair amount of wind noise but I think that's to be expected. Once we close it it seems to seat itself nice and firmly and I haven't heard anything from the roof while it's closed.
I went to test drive one the other day with mysky, at 75mph with the mysky closed, there was no noise! No wind noise or rattle. Most of the wind noise came from the air hitting the side mirrors actually.

With the mysky panels removed & all the windows up, at 55mph and above, the headliner on the cross beam between the two open areas flapped up and down so vigorously that it sounded like a helicopter was hovering above us. Is there any way to get the little windscreen to the front of the vehicle to pop up and break the wind with all the mysky panels removed? it seemed to only want to pop up with the sunroof portion retracted, but once that front panel was removed, the windscreen didnt seem to want to ever pop up...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I didn't order MySky because I am not a fan of sunlight.

·
Registered
54 Posts
LOL!
I've been asked that before.
No
Just not a fan of sunlight.

Overcast, slight drizzle of rain, and 65 Degrees F is more what I like and that isn't the best MySky weather so no MySky for me.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL!
I've been asked that before.
No
Just not a fan of sunlight.

Overcast, slight drizzle of rain, and 65 Degrees F is more what I like and that isn't the best MySky weather so no MySky for me.
LOL!

The main reason why I ordered the mysky panels though, (and this will sound completely ridiculous to some), is because I like the way the roof looks with them ON, because of the cool shapes that are embossed into them, as opposed to not getting them and having a plain roof with the plain ridges that go down the length of the roof.

Reactions: Gecko7

·
Registered
247 Posts
The Drifter I agree I like the roof with the My Sky panels in place. I didn't order the My Sky option, I would have rather have had a retractable glass sun roof. Some folks have posted some nice options to My SKY on this forum. My concern over ordering My Sky was three fold: Possible leakage and or rattling of the panels while in place over time, Distortion of the panels while in the trunk, garage, etc, and the third was having enough space for luggage etc with them out. I don't know if my concerns are legitimate or not, I know there are threads here that discuss it. My Trailhawk is on its way minus the My Sky. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I didn't order MySky because I am not a fan of sunlight.
I am not a fan of holes in my roof, or sunlight.
been avoiding the sun most of my life for various reasons, skin cancer being one of them.

Imagine my surprise when I found out that many of my medical conditions may be down to the very low levels of vitamin D in my blood:(

·
Registered
105 Posts
It doesn't handle any differently from what I test drove to what I have now (2015 TH with MySky). Saying that, though, I also did not notice any read difference in headroom between the two, either. Will double check that next time I am in my bosses car, but the headroom is pretty solid in either and with the seat all the way up, I have about an inch of head room and I am 6'1".

Well, I ordered a 2016 Model, and I have come to find out that it was ordered wrong, so my dealer has graciously offered to order me another one, so I have an opportuniy now to change what I originally ordered, and now I am concerned about the MySky feature that I had originally ordered...

I am 6'4" and I have sat in a 2015 Renegade with MySky and my head doesn't touch the lower headliner of a MySky equipped Renegade (as opposed to the normal roof which has gobs of headroom), so that is good, but I am concerned about all of the rattles that people are reporting, and I am also concerned about handling and stability around corners. My dealer isnt sure about either one, so I wanted to ask around on here and see what you all think.

I have driven a 2015 Renegade 6-speed, 4x4, without mySky and it handles great and I loved it. But dummy me was so excited at the time that I forgot that I should drive the Renegade with the mySky to see if I noticed if handling was less responsive due to the giant holes in the roof.

I know this is a longshot, but has anyone on here driven both with mySky and with the solid roof and noticed a difference in handling when carving out a corner?

Has anyone been able to successfully eliminate the MySky rattle 100% over an extended period of time? I live in a place where it does get cold, between 20 to 40 degrees F in the winter, but doesn't snow too much here, and in the summer it will get into the 80-100F degree range all the time. So yes it does get hot here, and it does get cold here, but I'm not worried about tons of snow caving in the MySky roof panels.

Please share your thoughts and experiences - they are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It doesn't handle any differently from what I test drove to what I have now (2015 TH with MySky). Saying that, though, I also did not notice any read difference in headroom between the two, either. Will double check that next time I am in my bosses car, but the headroom is pretty solid in either and with the seat all the way up, I have about an inch of head room and I am 6'1".
Thank you for your input! I went to another dealer and found one with mysky to test drive, and it seemed to handle the same in terms of body roll and agility. It also still had plenty of headroom.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am not a fan of holes in my roof, or sunlight.
been avoiding the sun most of my life for various reasons, skin cancer being one of them.

Imagine my surprise when I found out that many of my medical conditions may be down to the very low levels of vitamin D in my blood:(
I suppose everything in moderation right? :)

I normally stay away from sunroofs because they weaken the rigidity of a vehicle and they take away from headroom which is precious to me being 6' 4". However, normally I am shopping for sports cars, which this is not, so I'm more lenient on rigidity, but not on headroom! I'm also not fat so I don't mind a narrow seat, I just cant stand a low roof combined with a seat that doesn't go low! But this Jeep is great! Even with the MySky the Jeep impresses with plenty of spare room for the noggin to move around - even at my 6' 4" height!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.