Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I was ready to pull the trigger on a good deal but am holding back for a few more days until I can confirm this with you guys. I test drove a 4x2 unit a little hard twice (with 2 different dealers) and noticed an upshift/downshift delay with the automatic transmission when hitting/releasing the gas pedal. I found this similar issue on both units.

I'm told by the car sales rep this will be fixed in a few weeks/months as the unit is still "learning" my way or driving. I find this excuse stupid.

Can anyone here confirm if you had this issue and if it is/was fixable by a software upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Al

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Mine too drove nicely right from the start. Note that the 9-speed won't quite feel like the old Honda 4 or 5-speed automatics where you hardly notice its shifting.

It's difficult to know if the shifting delay you describe is normal or not. I never noticed any big delays. There can be a small delay in the 4 to 5 shift and 5 to 4 shift due to the mechanics of the 9-speed but I never thought there was any problem with mine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Been a lurker on the forum for a few weeks now. This is my first post. I joined with intention of learning about the Renegade (the good and bad) since i have been considering it a replacement vehicle if I let VW buy back my diesel Passat (which I love so much). I have test driven two Trailhawks on separate occasions and, while I did not observe any issues with harsh shifts that some have reported, I did notice that you just about had to floor it to make it down shift. The other thing I observed, and is a complete failure IMHO, is a colossal lack of power - no make that a DANGEROUS lack of power. Pulling out from a dead stop into traffic going 60-65 mph is just not something this vehicle can do safely. They need to either make the diesel avail in the US, turbo the 2.4, or put a V6 in this thing. I am highly disappointed in this one factor which is a deal breaker for me. Otherwise, I am completely bowled over at how impressive the rest of the vehicle is. I really really want one. But just not gonna happen with the current powertrain offerings.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Wow. Damning testimony and from a diesel owner.

I love spanking the turbo 1.4/manual despite its apoplectic power curve. I often hit 85 when merging onto expressways. Once I've merged cleanly, I have to rein her in.

And fyi, apoplexy is: "a sudden and often fatal fit due usually to extreme rage or seizures and resulting in blood vessels bursting in the brain."

Nowadays, its not nice to call people this so i only apply it to Renegade engines.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I love spanking the turbo 1.4/manual despite its apoplectic power curve. I often hit 85 when merging onto expressways. Once I've merged cleanly, I have to rein her in.
85--is that MPH or km/hr? ;)

Actually, glad to read this, I'm getting the 1.4 turbo and while I don't expect it to be a powerhouse, I do expect it to move along at a smart clip.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I got the 1.4 turbo 6 speed manual with 140 hp UK spec. While this ain't no drag strip motor, it ain't lethargic either. If you get chance, take one for a drive and give it the beans in second gear doing 35 mph. I did to overtake a coffin dodger and it took off well for what it is. I was surprised at how well it picked up speed.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I got the 1.4 turbo 6 speed manual with 140 hp UK spec. While this ain't no drag strip motor, it ain't lethargic either. If you get chance, take one for a drive and give it the beans in second gear doing 35 mph. I did to overtake a coffin dodger and it took off well for what it is. I was surprised at how well it picked up speed.
"Coffin Dodger?" That's a Britishism I've never heard...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Sure the 2.4 auto could use more power. But I think it is at least adequate and have no problem accelerating into traffic. For me to think the 2.4 is okay says a lot being that my other car has nearly 500 hp (stock).

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
85--is that MPH or km/hr? ;)
Sorry. I'm not thinking globally yet. That's in American.

I got the 1.4 turbo 6 speed manual with 140 hp UK spec. If you get chance, take one for a drive and give it the beans in second gear doing 35 mph.
The American is 160hp and it does well from a rolling start. The first gear is a granny gear for 0-10mph. But after that, its like Forrest Gump breaking free of his leg shackles. It aint smooth or pretty, but the manual gearing will get the speed up very well.

And here's a new issue: spanking that manual really shows how the "FWD" really is "1 WD". She squirrels around from torque vectoring. I feel she accelerates BEST and most planted on the ground without that torque steer when its in 4WD! Try it!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Some old guy sat there at 35 mph in a 60 limit with a clear road ahead. If I ever get like that then I'll turn my licence in.
Don't be in such a rush. If you're old and can still drive, the women will swarm all over you like bees on honey. Especially if you can drive at night.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Not a case of rushing, I wanted to get the Jeep into 6th gear and cruise along. So did the others behind me as they followed suit. That was the one and only time that I have driven the Jeep in foot down mode.

I got my missus and she's enough for me.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Been a lurker on the forum for a few weeks now. This is my first post. I joined with intention of learning about the Renegade (the good and bad) since i have been considering it a replacement vehicle if I let VW buy back my diesel Passat (which I love so much). I have test driven two Trailhawks on separate occasions and, while I did not observe any issues with harsh shifts that some have reported, I did notice that you just about had to floor it to make it down shift. The other thing I observed, and is a complete failure IMHO, is a colossal lack of power - no make that a DANGEROUS lack of power. Pulling out from a dead stop into traffic going 60-65 mph is just not something this vehicle can do safely. They need to either make the diesel avail in the US, turbo the 2.4, or put a V6 in this thing. I am highly disappointed in this one factor which is a deal breaker for me. Otherwise, I am completely bowled over at how impressive the rest of the vehicle is. I really really want one. But just not gonna happen with the current powertrain offerings.
Are you in the US? I believe per law that entries onto roads without a traffic light must have a acceleration lane that coincides with the minimum speed of the road you are merging into and all vehicles must meet this acceleration 0-60 requirement which the renegade does. The Renegade is not a Porsche so if that is what your expecting then move on from considering the Renegade your vehicle of choice.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.