Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I recently paid off my 2016 trailhawk. Then noticed the market for trade ins is crazy right now. Trying to decide between keeping the 2016 or trading it in for a newer one. I’m about to hit 100k miles, but only drive about 20 miles per day now.

I bought it around 25k miles and haven’t had any issues with it. So I’m wondering what issues has everyone else encountered around 100k miles? Should I keep and stay debt free, or trade in and get a pretty good deal for it? I’d stay in the renegade family. Maybe upgrade to a 2021.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hi everyone! I recently paid off my 2016 trailhawk. Then noticed the market for trade ins is crazy right now. Trying to decide between keeping the 2016 or trading it in for a newer one. I’m about to hit 100k miles, but only drive about 20 miles per day now.

I bought it around 25k miles and haven’t had any issues with it. So I’m wondering what issues has everyone else encountered around 100k miles? Should I keep and stay debt free, or trade in and get a pretty good deal for it? I’d stay in the renegade family. Maybe upgrade to a 2021.
I'm not sure there has been any changes to speak of except for subscription services via uconnect. If this is true whats the point of buying another one incurring dept? Have you comoaRED YOURS TO A NEW ONE? 100k on a well maintained vehicle is nothing in todays world. I see they have added an adaptive cruise control a very nice feature but the problems seem to be the same only fewer of them than on the 2015. Not sure you gain any advantage buying a 2021
Don't know what country your in but if USA your stuck with the itty bitty 1.4L engine in the trailhawk for 2021. 2.4 is much better

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm not sure there has been any changes to speak of except for subscription services via uconnect. If this is true whats the point of buying another one incurring dept? Have you comoaRED YOURS TO A NEW ONE? 100k on a well maintained vehicle is nothing in todays world. I see they have added an adaptive cruise control a very nice feature but the problems seem to be the same only fewer of them than on the 2015. Not sure you gain any advantage buying a 2021
Don't know what country your in but if USA your stuck with the itty bitty 1.4L engine in the trailhawk for 2021. 2.4 is much better
The 1.3L Turbo in the new Trailhawks actually makes more torque than the 2.4 and across the rev range... and doesn't burn oil. Drove both and the 1.3L definitely felt like the stronger performer to me.

Reactions: Michael Harris

·
Registered
478 Posts
The 1.3L Turbo in the new Trailhawks actually makes more torque than the 2.4 and across the rev range... and doesn't burn oil. Drove both and the 1.3L definitely felt like the stronger performer to me.
at low rpm without a load it does feel strong. For heavy duty use in the dirt, mud, snow especially on inclines loaded down or towing there is no substitute for cubic inches of engine dispalcement. Why do you think there are no small displacment heavy haulers, it has been tried? If you onbly carry groceries on paved roads the 1.4 is great even if it is not as economical as the 2.4. Oil consumption? I already posted my recall on that issue and mine has never used a drop of oil.

·
Registered
62 Posts
at low rpm without a load it does feel strong. For heavy duty use in the dirt, mud, snow especially on inclines loaded down or towing there is no substitute for cubic inches of engine dispalcement. Why do you think there are no small displacment heavy haulers, it has been tried? If you onbly carry groceries on paved roads the 1.4 is great even if it is not as economical as the 2.4. Oil consumption? I already posted my recall on that issue and mine has never used a drop of oil.
Nice, one 2.4 that doesn’t burn oil. Why do you think semis have turbos? The 2.4 is hardly a big block heavy hauler lol!!! It’s a gutless turd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
478 Posts
Nice, one 2.4 that doesn’t burn oil. Why do you think semis have turbos? The 2.4 is hardly a big block heavy hauler lol!!! It’s a gutless turd.

Look at the numbers there are only a few with the oil problem because of a software glitch. No trucks designed to haul use teeny tiny engines. I would like a 2.4 turbo for the instant low end response but its not likely to happen as the 2.4 alreADY OUT PREFORMS THE OTHER ENGINE OPTIONS and, GETS BETTER FUEL ECONOMY. Sorry for cap lock hate that key. Semis have turbos for the reason i stated, low end response. All truck manufacturers have tried to develope small engine power systems but none were successful or they would be on the road. The 2.4 ha been around in jeeps since before 2007 but the oil issue came up when they went to a software controlled valve timing system.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Look at the numbers there are only a few with the oil problem because of a software glitch. No trucks designed to haul use teeny tiny engines. I would like a 2.4 turbo for the instant low end response but its not likely to happen as the 2.4 alreADY OUT PREFORMS THE OTHER ENGINE OPTIONS and, GETS BETTER FUEL ECONOMY. Sorry for cap lock hate that key. Semis have turbos for the reason i stated, low end response. All truck manufacturers have tried to develope small engine power systems but none were successful or they would be on the road. The 2.4 ha been around in jeeps since before 2007 but the oil issue came up when they went to a software controlled valve timing system.
The 1.3 has almost 30 ft lbs more torque than the 2.4. Plus the turbos aren’t impacted by higher altitudes. It’s not just low end response that’s better- it’s overall better response. Look at f150s- the max tow package is only available on the 3.5 ecoboost, not the 5.0. Obviously Ford has more confidence in the Ecoboost to pull a heavy load than a 5.0 v8.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The 1.3 has almost 30 ft lbs more torque than the 2.4. Plus the turbos aren’t impacted by higher altitudes. It’s not just low end response that’s better- it’s overall better response. Look at f150s- the max tow package is only available on the 3.5 ecoboost, not the 5.0. Obviously Ford has more confidence in the Ecoboost to pull a heavy load than a 5.0 v8.

yes turbos are better at high altitute and i miss that with the 2.4. According to wiki the most powerful rene engine system is the 2.4. The only one better is the PHEV hybrid model. if you don't believe wiki then how bout jeep. here is a jeep link to rene 2021 engine specs the 2.4 has 3 more hp. Yes the little guy has more torque in the jeep specs

·
Registered
62 Posts
yes turbos are better at high altitute and i miss that with the 2.4. According to wiki the most powerful rene engine system is the 2.4. The only one better is the PHEV hybrid model. if you don't believe wiki then how bout jeep. here is a jeep link to rene 2021 engine specs the 2.4 has 3 more hp.

Look at torque. The 1.3 has more than the 2.4. The 1.3 makes it’s power over a wider rpm range than the 2.4, the 2.4 doesn’t make its power till high up in the rev range. I’ve driven many jeeps with the 2.4 and they’re not energetic. The 1.3 isn’t a speed demon either but I feel it’s much easier and pleasurable to drive.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Look at torque. The 1.3 has more than the 2.4. The 1.3 makes it’s power over a wider rpm range than the 2.4, the 2.4 doesn’t make its power till high up in the rev range. I’ve driven many jeeps with the 2.4 and they’re not energetic. The 1.3 isn’t a speed demon either but I feel it’s much easier and pleasurable to drive.
your right i edited my post as i forgot to mention the torque. I would have bought one with the little guy but it wasn't available in the trailhawk back then. If you tow much you will learn the value of cubic inches. Back in the mid eighties the most powerful engine Ford put in there cars was a teeny tiny turboed pinto engine. I almost bought one new in a T bird in 86. That little engine went on to become one of the most sought after engines for drag racing because of its incredible strengh and power. The little guy was a real butt kicker and could really be souped up. Remember the offanhauser engine which dominated Indianapolis racing for so many years?.

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
Keep what you have and remain debt free.

The old adage, "the grass is greener on the other side" comes to mind. Your Jeep works, serves you well and does what you need it to do.

Any repairs will be minimal when compared to taking out a loan on a newer model

I for one am keeping my 2015 model as it has proven to be one of the most cost effective vehicles I have owned. It was paid off 3 years ago and should anything happen that needs repaired then I know it will not be the same as 3 years finance on a newer model.

This model serves my purposes extremely well and if you are only doing 20 miles a week then why bother with the thought of a newer model.

There was a misconception years ago in the mechanical trade that 70,000 miles was when cars started to have mechanical issues. What a load of sh1t devised by car manufacturers to get you and I to part with hard earned cash.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Keep what you have and remain debt free.

The old adage, "the grass is greener on the other side" comes to mind. Your Jeep works, serves you well and does what you need it to do.

Any repairs will be minimal when compared to taking out a loan on a newer model

I for one am keeping my 2015 model as it has proven to be one of the most cost effective vehicles I have owned. It was paid off 3 years ago and should anything happen that needs repaired then I know it will not be the same as 3 years finance on a newer model.

This model serves my purposes extremely well and if you are only doing 20 miles a week then why bother with the thought of a newer model.

There was a misconception years ago in the mechanical trade that 70,000 miles was when cars started to have mechanical issues. What a load of sh1t devised by car manufacturers to get you and I to part with hard earned cash.
This is good advice!
BTW, I have an '18 TH with the 2.4, bought used 18 months ago with 42,000 miles on her. Uses NO oil, either before or after the PCM reflash.
So not all 2.4's are oil guzzlers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts