Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen similar posts on this forum but none seemed to match my issue. My wife was driving to work the other day and the vehicle stalled and would not restart. It would crank but not fire. We have a 2017 Renegade with about 54,000 miles. We have had no issues with this vehicle other than I had to replace an ambient temperature sensor about 8 months ago. She was 2 blocks from home when the issue occurred and we were able to have the neighbor pull us home.

The major difference between my issue and others is that we could not refire the vehicle. Eventually, the battery died so I had to pull it and charge it. Once I charged and replaced the battery, it fired once, on first try but died after 2 seconds. We pulled the battery again the next day while we were trying to diagnose the issue and had the same result after putting the battery back in. It started first time, right away, ran for 2 seconds and died. After the first time it struggles to start. I have gotten to start a couple other times but it takes it a minute of turning over and then it immediately dies. I feel like pulling the battery is allowing the fuel pump to prime the system but once it starts we have no pressure. I am at a loss for a solution and plan to take it in for repair but I know this will mean that it will take them weeks just to get it in and we will be without it for several weeks and we no longer have a 3rd vehicle.

The only code we have is for the thermostat. We drove the vehicle to family 3 hours away twice the week before and I noticed no issues or changes in the vehicle. The issue happened suddenly and without warning.

Also, this is unrelated but it just feels like somehow it is absolutely related. I have been having issues with the transmission of my truck shuddering in 6th gear. So I just took it into the shop the day before the jeep went out. I was planning to fix our third vehicle before the truck went into the shop so we had another vehicle while the truck was in the shop. It needed a new brake line. Its a 2003 Ford Focus and it sits because it is just an extra vehicle. I had to jump it because it was dead from sitting and when we fired it up, it immediately started knocking and smoking. So my Focus was discovered to be terminal on Wednesday, my 2015 F150 just went to the shop on Thursday, and the Renegade died on Friday. We are currently borrowing the mother in laws vehicle. Damn the luck.

· Registered
46 Posts
How old is the battery? The renegade like most new vehicles is very battery sensitive.
If your battery is 3 years old or older it should be replaced, Your current battery may have voltage after charging but not proper amperage so a load test be the only way to be sure if its good or not.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
since you never got a new battery thats where i would start. pull it out and have a load test done. but sounds like you need a new battery
since you never got a new battery thats where i would start. pull it out and have a load test done. but sounds like you need a new battery
Battery is less than 2 years old. It only died due to trying to refire on the side of the road while trying to diagnose the issue. I recharged it. Besides i have gotten the jeep to start 3 times, it just dies very quickly.

· Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
The little Jeeps can have battery problems with a 1 year old battery. Over 90% of start problems is the battery like every on said to you. Good luck.

and enjoy the forum!

· Registered
1,293 Posts
I have seen similar posts on this forum but none seemed to match my issue. My wife was driving to work the other day and the vehicle stalled and would not restart. It would crank but not fire. We have a 2017 Renegade with about 54,000 miles. We have had no issues with this vehicle other than I had to replace an ambient temperature sensor about 8 months ago. She was 2 blocks from home when the issue occurred and we were able to have the neighbor pull us home.

The major difference between my issue and others is that we could not refire the vehicle. Eventually, the battery died so I had to pull it and charge it. Once I charged and replaced the battery, it fired once, on first try but died after 2 seconds. We pulled the battery again the next day while we were trying to diagnose the issue and had the same result after putting the battery back in. It started first time, right away, ran for 2 seconds and died. After the first time it struggles to start. I have gotten to start a couple other times but it takes it a minute of turning over and then it immediately dies. I feel like pulling the battery is allowing the fuel pump to prime the system but once it starts we have no pressure. I am at a loss for a solution and plan to take it in for repair but I know this will mean that it will take them weeks just to get it in and we will be without it for several weeks and we no longer have a 3rd vehicle.

The only code we have is for the thermostat. We drove the vehicle to family 3 hours away twice the week before and I noticed no issues or changes in the vehicle. The issue happened suddenly and without warning.

Also, this is unrelated but it just feels like somehow it is absolutely related. I have been having issues with the transmission of my truck shuddering in 6th gear. So I just took it into the shop the day before the jeep went out. I was planning to fix our third vehicle before the truck went into the shop so we had another vehicle while the truck was in the shop. It needed a new brake line. Its a 2003 Ford Focus and it sits because it is just an extra vehicle. I had to jump it because it was dead from sitting and when we fired it up, it immediately started knocking and smoking. So my Focus was discovered to be terminal on Wednesday, my 2015 F150 just went to the shop on Thursday, and the Renegade died on Friday. We are currently borrowing the mother in laws vehicle. Damn the luck.
Hi there!

If you continue to run into concerns, we'd recommend a dealership visit. Let us know if you decide to go that route and need support.

Kate
Jeep Cares

1 - 8 of 8 Posts