Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The Renegade has been a hit for Jeep, and one of the few bright spots in the FCA group of products. Given the success of the compact crossover, Jeep looks to be considering offering an even more powerful version of the Renegade when it updates the vehicle for the 2017 MY.

Currently, the Jeep Renegade is offered with two different engines: the Tigershark 2.4-litre and the Multiair turbocharged 1.4-litre. The former produces 184 horsepower, while the latter produces 160 horsepower. Indeed, both of these engines will be offered in the upcoming model.

Rumor has it that an additional engine could be offered though. That engine would be a 2-litre 4-cylinder turbocharged MJD II engine. This diesel engine will be a bigger version of the 1.6-litre Multijet diesel engine that Fiat is currently using. It's unclear how powerful this new engine would be compared to the other engines that the Renegade uses, or in comparison to the Renegade's competitors.

The engine would be aimed at the Indian market where Jeep will be launching the Renegade in India, and this new engine would allow it to compete with the likes of Ford and VW which both offer diesel engines that are more powerful than what FCA currently has in comparably sized CUVs.

http://motoroctane.com/news/7252-fiat-introduce-1-5-litre-multijet-2016

http://www.oncars.in/car-news/jeep-renegade-india-launch-in-2017-to-debut-at-2016-auto-expo/8287

·
Registered
108 Posts
Don't they already offer a diesel engine in Europe? I don't see that mentioned in the article.

I also don't think they will offer this new diesel in the US. As I understand it, US regulations regarding diesels are more stringent than those in Europe, Asia, etc. So, the engines they make for those markets don't typically make it to the US.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

The Renegade has been a hit for Jeep, and one of the few bright spots in the FCA group of products. Given the success of the compact crossover, Jeep looks to be considering offering an even more powerful version of the Renegade when it updates the vehicle for the 2017 MY.

Currently, the Jeep Renegade is offered with two different engines: the Tigershark 2.4-litre and the Multiair turbocharged 1.4-litre. The former produces 184 horsepower, while the latter produces 160 horsepower. Indeed, both of these engines will be offered in the upcoming model.

Rumor has it that an additional engine could be offered though. That engine would be a 2-litre 4-cylinder turbocharged MJD II engine. This diesel engine will be a bigger version of the 1.6-litre Multijet diesel engine that Fiat is currently using. It's unclear how powerful this new engine would be compared to the other engines that the Renegade uses, or in comparison to the Renegade's competitors.

The engine would be aimed at the Indian market where Jeep will be launching the Renegade in India, and this new engine would allow it to compete with the likes of Ford and VW which both offer diesel engines that are more powerful than what FCA currently has in comparably sized CUVs.

http://motoroctane.com/news/7252-fiat-introduce-1-5-litre-multijet-2016

http://www.oncars.in/car-news/jeep-renegade-india-launch-in-2017-to-debut-at-2016-auto-expo/8287

That is the engine I have in my Trailhawk. It has been availible for a long time.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Don't they already offer a diesel engine in Europe? I don't see that mentioned in the article.

I also don't think they will offer this new diesel in the US. As I understand it, US regulations regarding diesels are more stringent than those in Europe, Asia, etc. So, the engines they make for those markets don't typically make it to the US.
They do make a diesel for Europe already but it is not as powerful as this new 2.0L turbo Diesel engine that people are talking about coming in 2017. And yes, I would assume that only Europeans will be able to get it.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
They do make a diesel for Europe already but it is not as powerful as this new 2.0L turbo Diesel engine that people are talking about coming in 2017. And yes, I would assume that only Europeans will be able to get it.
How do you know that?
My engine is the "2.0L 4-cylinder Turbo MJD II Engine" mentioned in that post.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You folks all realize that this drawing is not a leaked spy shot or anything, its just a creation from a site that lets you play with the designs of cars by adding crap to them.

https://www.3dtuning.com/en-US/

Look! Another spy shot!!!

I'm not saying that a Trackhawk Renegade would not be cool, its just if I see that top picture posted up anywhere else I think I'll scream.

I do participate in four to five open track events a year with my other vehicle (400 hp V8 Miata) which is what they I assume would be designing this thing for. The one problem with this is NONE OF THEM ALLOW SUVs OR CUVs to participate. Even the events sponsored by the Porsche clubs will not allow Porsche's own SUV, the Cayeene, anywhere near a track. To make matters worse it's not the clubs' call, its the track owners.

-Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think that the Jeep Renegade may get the new 200HP 2.2 Multijet II, which is used in the Jeep Cherokee. I don't think however that we'll see a new 2.0 Multijet to top the current 170HP version.

Reactions: syzygy
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.