Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every summer our 2017 Renegade Trailhawk 2.4L sits in a garage in Arizona while we are away. We have had the following issue for three years in a row now: After sitting unused for 5-6 months on a battery tender, the Renegade refuses to start. It cranks just fine, and after a while I can smell gas in the garage, but it takes at least 30 minutes before I can get it started.
So on the first attempt I press the start button and the engine cranks. Everything on the dash looks normal but the engine will not start and the start sequence times out after 10-15 seconds.
After this I have to turn off the ignition and then repeat the sequence - still no start. After 4 (or maybe 5) attempts it refuses to even crank (possibly the starter getting to too hot?) and I have to turn it off and leave it sit for 20 minutes or so. And by this time I can definitely smell gas in the garage so it does not seem to be a fuel issue.
After sitting for about 20 minutes the Renegade allows me to try again. So I crank it and eventually I can hear a cylinder fire, but not enough for the engine to catch. After a few more tries I can really hear the engine trying to catch, and finally on the eighth or ninth attempt it starts. Once it does start, the engine runs perfectly for the next 6 months until the next time it sits for the summer. I do not recall seeing any check engine lights during these failures, but next year I will have my OBD reader handy.
If anyone has any ideas for this behavior, I would love to hear from you.
Charlie

·
Registered
2017 Latitude 4x4 1.4 Alpine White, 2018 Latitude 4x4 1.4 Omaha Orange
64 Posts
I know on the 1.4 liter the multiair system tends to bleed down after extended storage....It will sound like it has no compression for a few key cycles and finally fire up. Oddly enough my 2018 does this but my 17 doesn't exhibit this. I imagine that is what's happening to you in some shape or form since you still have a multiair system that relies on oil pressure. I would pull the fuel pump relay when cranking the first 2-3 times and then install it after 3 cycles and see if it fires up easier as it doesn't flood itself, an alternative is the first couple of attempts is to hold the accelerator to the floor while it cranks as that shuts off the fuel injectors..after the 2-3 cycles of it not flooding it self try without pressing on the accelerator and it may just fire up that much easier..

·
Super Moderator
3,788 Posts
welcomegroup

and enjoy the forum!

I have not heard any one eles with your problem. I have the 2.4 with 0 starting problems. Good luck hope you get it worked out.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
If you are having repeated issues with over-wintering and starting the engine would you consider removing the battery?

I don't know if that would help but it's a thought.

You could always top off the battery with the tender and simply reattach the leads as and when required to turn over the Jeep.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've read (on here) about people having starting issues after it sits while the owner is on vacation for a week or two, so sitting for 6 months is no surprise to me.

As cantankerous as this vehicles computer system is; I'd disconnect the battery cables then hook up the battery tender, I wouldn't leave it all connected up and put the tender on like you would with a "normal" vehicle. Who knows what voltage that tender is putting through to the extremely sensitive computer system.

Also, modern gas has no shelf life, it goes bad pretty fast. In my opinion, 6 months is pushing it. When storing, I'd keep the tank low and use a Jerry can of just-bought fresh gas when you come back (and experience the joy of putting gas from a Jerry can in these tanks). Of course then you have the worry of condensate forming in your near empty tank, which may be a non-issue in Arizona. With todays fuel blends (ethanol and methanol) and quick degradation, the days of "fill it up" before storing is probably not wise anymore.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Considering the temp in Arizona in the summer id wager there is no fuel in the lines at all after six months. So basically your having to prime the entire fuel system from tank to injectors. The fuel smell is the vapors overloading the evap system. Might try cycling the key on for ten seconds then off and repeat five or six times. No need to crank as the fuel pump is electric. I have this problem with my Wrangler as it sits in 100 degree heat for weeks at time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts