Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have currently had some issues starting my renegade. The brake pedal feels normal (not hard to press) when I get into the car the press brake pedal and push start button lights up after a few seconds then when I got start there is a click (not starter click kinda sounds electronic.) And the screen goes to the MPH screen. Sometimes I do that for 4 or 5 times before the car will start. Sometimes more. Sometimes it starts a while after I've taken my foot off the pedal without having hit the button for a bit (5-20 seconds). One thing i have found is the remote start on the key fob will start it if all else fails. (Every once in a while it won't start on the first try but not often.) Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't know if it's under warranty or not I'm sure it's electrical and I'm sure it'll be expensive.

·
Super Moderator
3,574 Posts

and enjoy the forum!

Search is your friend! Sounds like you need a new battery to me!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Failure of the standard fitted Jeep battery is a common occurence.

In fact battery failure is accounting for an awful lot of Jeep faults and it's very strange that faults are easily rectified by disconnecting the negative post and then reconnecting a short while later.

I wonder if there is anyone driving their Jeep after 3 years with an original battery that was never on a trickle charger. :unsure:

Batter replacement for me was not so long ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Failure of the standard fitted Jeep battery is a common occurence.

In fact battery failure is accounting for an awful lot of Jeep faults and it's very strange that faults are easily rectified by disconnecting the negative post and then reconnecting a short while later.

I wonder if there is anyone driving their Jeep after 3 years with an original battery that was never on a trickle charger. :unsure:

Batter replacement for me was not so long ago.
I've never put it on a charger it just will only start on remote for the first start of the day. I did jump my wife's car last winter with my renegade. Which is apparently a no no. Lol

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Page 169 of the owners manual details how to jumpstart and recharge the battery.

It is allowed and can be easily achieved if you follow the instructions.

Unfortunately my cat has his claws in my arm as I type otherwise I would quote the page as a picture. One handed typing is so slow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Page 169 of the owners manual details how to jumpstart and recharge the battery.

It is allowed and can be easily achieved if you follow the instructions.

Unfortunately my cat has his claws in my arm as I type otherwise I would quote the page as a picture. One handed typing is so slow.
No problem! Thanks for the Info. I can walk my fat arse out to the car and look at the manual anyway lol.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
No problem! Thanks for the Info. I can walk my fat arse out to the car and look at the manual anyway lol.
Why are you being so abusive and negative to me for assisting you?

Its a very long passage and I am unable to type it all out verbatim for you. Why is that so wrong?

Am I missing something here as I truly believed I was being 100% helpful to you. There are many members but only a few ever reply. Please allow me a note to myself "Please stop trying to be helpful"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why are you being so abusive and negative to me for assisting you?

Its a very long passage and I am unable to type it all out verbatim for you. Why is that so wrong?

Am I missing something here as I truly believed I was being 100% helpful to you. There are many members but only a few ever reply. Please allow me a note to myself "Please stop trying to be helpful"
No no no! You misread my message. I am nothing but appreciative of your information. What I was trying to say was you shouldn't have to go through all the trouble of typing it out because I can go out to my car and get it. I apologise if that message came out wrong. Again I am nothing but appreciative.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
PM received and replied to.

No apology required.

Writing is the hardest thing to understand as there is no emotion attached to it. I should know better as I fall foul of it all the time. Apologies from me to you for the misunderstanding. :cry:

Keep posting and don't be a stranger (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PM received and replied to.

No apology required.

Writing is the hardest thing to understand as there is no emotion attached to it. I should know better as I fall foul of it all the time. Apologies from me to you for the misunderstanding. :cry:

Keep posting and don't be a stranger (y)(y)(y)
My battery is sitting at home. Here's hoping the change goes off without a hitch! I found a post on here that goes indepth on how to change it out properly. I'll follow that religiously.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seems to have gone well. I'm letting it run for a half hour or so to charge up. Started up with almost no delay. I'll see how it does in the morning and report back if it's fixed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Didn't work. Unless the new battery needed longer to charge but I left it running for a solid 20 min or more. Checked voltage on the OBD2 on my phone and it said 12.4v (control module voltage). I hooked up a trickle charger hit the start button after a few minutes nothing, and then went to get out and turn the charger/jumper to jump it. Then it started as I got out of the vehicle. Foot not on the brakes or anything. There was a throttle control light on when I got into the car and the yellow engine light flashed a few times but no codes came up. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
A totaly dead battery can sometimes be revived but it will take a few hours with a newer, modern battery charger that pulses the battery.

A flat battery should take a charge within around 2 hours as you are only topping it up.

However getting a jump start and going for a very long run will certainly assist in the recharging process but I am afraid that running the engine for 20 minutes won't recharge anything.

Never run the engine and recharge with a trickle charger or a battery charger still attached for safety reasons.

12.4v on the display is also what we all receive and it goes a little higher with the engine running. It just lets you know the alternator is working ;)
Fingers crossed :):):)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts