Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are we the only ones whose 2017 Renegade has been completely horrible? We bought it new with 12 miles on it. At 2400 miles had to take it. Every 10,000 miles it seems something is going wrong at no fault of our own. It now has 64,000 miles. We’re in the process of getting rid of it. The worst part is Jeep won’t stand behind their poorly built vehicle.

·
Registered
2017 renegade trailhawk 9 spd auto glacier metallic, preferred package 27E
320 Posts
minor problems, rear washer stopped working, oil consumption recall AND mice eating a hole in my evap. system other than that purrs like a kitten 12,000 miles

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had to replace my thermostat which apparently works fine, but the switch kept turning the check engine light on because there is a leak in the case they put it in. Costs hundreds.
My airconditioner STINKS like rotten flesh (I'm a nurse, I know what that smells like). They said there was no way the cabin filter was the problem but would change it for over a hundred dollars (still in the warranty period). My husband changes the cabin filter and cleans the engine frequently, but every year it returns.
My sunroof stutters when I close it and sometimes it won't shut at all.
The whole thing rattles when I am stopped with my foot on the brake, on cold mornings it's the glove box, when it's hot it's covering around the rear window.
My transmission is JERKY!
and there is an oil consumption recall.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
My 2015 has been flawless. But any car brand can have a bad one from time to time. Sorry that yours isn't as good as you hoped.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I just had to replace my thermostat which apparently works fine, but the switch kept turning the check engine light on because there is a leak in the case they put it in. Costs hundreds.
My airconditioner STINKS like rotten flesh (I'm a nurse, I know what that smells like). They said there was no way the cabin filter was the problem but would change it for over a hundred dollars (still in the warranty period). My husband changes the cabin filter and cleans the engine frequently, but every year it returns.
My sunroof stutters when I close it and sometimes it won't shut at all.
The whole thing rattles when I am stopped with my foot on the brake, on cold mornings it's the glove box, when it's hot it's covering around the rear window.
My transmission is JERKY!
and there is an oil consumption recall.
Cabin filters are not covered by warranty, no matter the mileage. Most of the cost is the in the labor as your husband can attest to, since it's hidden in the dash. Do you get the smell with the heat on or is it only when the A/C is running?

The sunroof issue is common and can be solved with regular lubrication of the track and guides. There are several threads on here with details. White lithium grease should help.

The rattle at a stop sounds like a motor mount, which should be covered by warranty.

The transmission jerking is a common theme with the 9 speed auto. There are some service bulletins that can be checked that may help. When you schedule your recall, I would ask them to also check for any other open TSB's that need to be completed. Also make sure you're keeping up with the fluid changes for the PTU and Rear Diff. I believe they should be changed at 60k. Some folks have also done the transmission fluid (despite being "lifetime") and it has helped smooth out the transmission.

I do sympathize with the issues you're having. I've had a few myself. These are quirky vehicles for sure. We may be in the minority when it comes to having multiple issues, but that doesn't mean it isn't a valid complaint.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are we the only ones whose 2017 Renegade has been completely horrible? We bought it new with 12 miles on it. At 2400 miles had to take it. Every 10,000 miles it seems something is going wrong at no fault of our own. It now has 64,000 miles. We’re in the process of getting rid of it. The worst part is Jeep won’t stand behind their poorly built vehicle.
Dang - sorry you’ve had so much trouble. Ironically I am at the dealership now waiting for the word on why the front axle on my 2018 Renegade is slinging grease which was noted during an inspection done at my last oil change. I’ve only got 15k miles on it and very little driving since the last inspection. Hoping it’ll be covered under warranty.

It consumes 1qt oil per 1k miles and although it looks promising now, I’ll wait a bit before declaring the recall work successful. I just haven’t driven enough miles to know for sure. That work did fix the 31mph low frequency vibration, however. I’ve had turn signal bulbs burn out as well. Usually don’t have that happen in the first couple years of a new car.

So yea I’ve had more issues with this vehicle than previous cars - mostly Hondas and Toyotas. One exception was a Subaru - it was worse. But I REALLY like this little Jeep so I’m sticking with it. It’s super easy for me to drive and I fit in it well. The first year I had it I had to drive 2 hours thru a blizzard and then 12 miles on unplowed hilly roads with a foot of snow. Normally that sort of driving scares the heck out of me because it’s not the type of weather we get often but I managed it and felt pretty confident. It does great in sand, too! I hope your next car is more reliable for you. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my used 2017 Renegade in Dec 2020 with 62k miles on it. The only issue was a stuck skylight. After reading all the horror stories I decided to get the extended warranty sold by the dealership. 5 months and 4k later, no issues whatsoever. I felt the $3300, 60 month 100k plane was a good peace of mind investment.

·
Registered
20 Posts

I'm a 2017 Deserthawk with 43000 and no problems. Clean. Just had a 120 point check all 100's.

·
Registered
2015 Renegade Latitude 2.4
13 Posts
One post and nothing but gripe. What exactly went wrong and when? Its hard for me to show sympathy when your post reads like a social hit piece from a Chrysler/Jeep/FCA/Stellatis/Whatever's next competitor.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Fan motor went out around 50k. Replaced myself via YouTube video.
Oil consumption issue.
Anti freeze very slowly disappears somewhere with no signs of where.
Oil consumption reprogram recall.
Other than that, I haven't had any other problems. I really like the vehicle. I just wish they built better quality engines. Their engineers must have been the ones who graduated lowest in their class.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts