Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
So I just got my Jeep renegade last week I have to top the coolant off a little but there is a pink coolant in my Jeep instead of the recommended North American Vehicle ORANGE. I don’t know what the pink is I’m guessing the Asian or European vehicle formula. Idk why whoever had this Jeep put the pink in it. So the questions is. Are the orange and pink OAT coolant compatible for mixing? Should I flush it? Or Just roll with the pink?

·
Super Moderator
1,560 Posts
I woukd not risk mixing the wrong coolant.

Don't go by colour either. There isn't a standard for them.

Just use distilled or at a pinch boiled water to top off the expansion tank.
(For quantities between min and max markings)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Coolant color is not a good indicator of whether the coolant is the correct one or not. FCA was not even consistent with the color that comes from the factory versus that color of the coolant they sell. See page 4 of this document: http://starparts.chrysler.com/newsletters/newsletter_Oct_2012.pdf

The Renegade owners manual specifies "OAT coolant conforming to MS.90032", unfortunately that coolant does not seem to exist (at least in the USA). If you go to a Jeep parts department they will sell you MS-12106 for your Jeep, it is also an OAT coolant.

There are those who say that MS-12106 is identical to DEX-Cool, but I haven't found conclusive proof of that. If you want to do some reading on this subject do a search for MS-90032 or MS-12106 on the bobistheoilguy.com forum.

The only evidence I have found is that Zerex DEX-Cool says that it "meets or exceeds" MS-12106, but that does mean their formula is the same as other DEX-Cool coolants.

By the way the coolant in my 2019 Jeep is pink with a slight tinge of purple, while the MS-12106 I purchased from the Jeep dealership is purple.

Here are few other threads on this forum that might be of interest:
Coolant
Can I mix Orange and Purple Coolant?
Coolant

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you have your coolant a little below min level and does not noticeably drop you'd better add some distilled water because it may be water that evaporates from the system not the glycol. When we add the coolant every time some water evaporates we increase the concentration of glycol which is aggressive to pipes and pumps of the system.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
If you are unsure if the coolant has been mixed or if it's too strong then imho drain it all off and start afresh.

That way you know exactly what is in the system (y) (y) (y)

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts