Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a Jeep Renegade catch on fire? Our 8-month old 2018 Jeep Renegade (purchased in March 2018) caught on fire while parked in a lot. Dealership in Christiansburg, VA is denying warranty repair saying it was caused by leaves and debris in the undercarriage which caused a fire where the manifold reaches the exhaust then traveled into the under hood. This makes no sense to me. Please provide suggestions on how to handle this safety issue.

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
739 Posts
That's really too bad, but I don't understand why the dealership's explanation makes "no sense" to you. Vehicles catch fire for reasons unrelated to the car's warranty. Dried leaves seems like a highly likely reason for a vehicle to catch fire. I recommend you take it up with the insurance company.

·
Registered
681 Posts
A lot of car fires start or become apparent after stopping. If this was soon after parking in the lot the dealer's diagnosis is quite possibly correct - there would likely be some burned debris in the areas the leaves were trapped.
Similar things happen when cars are driven through/into long, dry grass and then stopped.

Insurance investigator should be able to check the dealer diagnosis, but they may not bother. How much damage was actually caused? I guess not a lot if it's repairable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are not sure as we are awaiting a repair estimate from the dealer. I just find this all very unsettling -- it's November and leaves are on the ground everywhere. Unless they are parked on top of a leaf pile, which this was not, cars should not just spontaneously catch on fire because leaves touched the exhaust. This is clearly a safety issue.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Well it's probably not a general problem with the Renegades as we haven't had a spate of reports, unlike say the cooling fan.
There are various ways that this could have happened but without knowing exactly what your car experienced prior to this event it's impossible to say. Many people don't realise they've driven over/through something hazardous or damaging (and some of those that do know will deny it so as to make the cost of their mistake fall on someone else).

As such this event probably falls into the category of "sh1t happens" with no proper resolution, much like a parking lot ding that the guilty party just drives away from and leaves you to pick up the tab. It's one of the reasons to have insurance.

When you consider that cars are an assembly of very hot parts, electricity and a highly flammable liquid (under pressure) it's pretty remarkable they don't burn more often.

·
Registered
157 Posts
We are not sure as we are awaiting a repair estimate from the dealer. I just find this all very unsettling -- it's November and leaves are on the ground everywhere. Unless they are parked on top of a leaf pile, which this was not, cars should not just spontaneously catch on fire because leaves touched the exhaust. This is clearly a safety issue.
If this is a safety issue how did it happen? Until it is investigated and there is a verdict I wouldn’t blame it on the Renegade.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If this is a safety issue how did it happen? Until it is investigated and there is a verdict I wouldn’t blame it on the Renegade.
This is exactly why I am confused. The dealership said the cause of the fire was PROBABLY leaves or debris that was at the exhaust area where the manifold comes down. They are not certain as to the cause of the fire, so I would consider a spontaneous fire that has no definitive cause as a safety issue. We are fortunate that this happened when the car was parked. Had it happened while our son was driving it, the car could have become inoperable in traffic. That would certainly be a safety issue, in my opinion.
So my original post was to find out if this has happened with anyone else and if so, to learn more about the problem. I am assuming from the replies that it has not. Thanks to you all for your time and help.

·
Registered
892 Posts
If you were driving it, chances are it would have never become a problem. Chances are the leaves would never had ignited to flame stage, and if it did, the wind beneath your vehicle would have blown the leaves from underneath, out the back as they broke down, not letting anything else catch on fire.

You, unfortunately, had a "perfect storm" of sorts...dry leaves on hot exhaust, stationary vehicle. It's not a safety issue, it's poor luck. Still sucks bad.

·
Super Moderator
1,714 Posts
Sound suspect to me.

Plenty of examples of new models catching fire due to design or manufacturing issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
One more addition - having hot undercarriage parts start a fire is not rare - especially a catalytic converter (its not just a Sopranos episode thing). Google "Catalytic Converter Catching Leaf Fire" Good CBS News 8 video to watch. Not saying this was the cause, as CC usually needs to be older, but just sayin' - stranger things have happened. Sorry for the loss and glad no one was hurt.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I see plenty of vehicles with debris stuck on or around the exhaust. From leaves, sticks/branches and shopping bags. There is usually plenty of clearance around an exhaust system. Unless something was run over and bent some things or have a major oil leak, I would lean towards debris getting stuck somewhere. Most manual will, or at least used to, tell you not to park a hot vehicle on grass.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Call your insurance company, I’ve seen plenty of vehicles catch fire from similar issues

·
Registered
55 Posts
I saw how this happens at a previous job, where a very pregnant woman parked and idled her car in our grass parking lot while she took a nap around 10 am. Well 20 minutes later there were visible flames under her car, and I ran up and banged on the window to wake her up, and she started the car and drove away, leaving me to put out the fire she caused. Luckily this is southeast Florida and it never really gets that dry here.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sound suspect to me.

Plenty of examples of new models catching fire due to design or manufacturing issues.
I am suspicious also. Car designers should know cars are driven in grass and leaves, and should design accordingly. Chassis should not be designed to collect debris. If the subject car was not parked over a pile of dead grass or leaves then I suspect design could be an issue. Have heard and read that catalytic converters, being hot and low to ground, can cause fires, but this case seems to involve parts farther from ground. Am having difficulty picturing anything worse than smoldering (as opposed to fire) of stuff collected on chassis after my 60+ years of driving, including in support of runs and bike rides (sometimes "standing" or parking off roadways), sometimes in dry wx. A case of fire would seem more probable involving gasoline (a leak, perhaps?) than leaves and grass.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone had a Jeep Renegade catch on fire? Our 8-month old 2018 Jeep Renegade (purchased in March 2018) caught on fire while parked in a lot. Dealership in Christiansburg, VA is denying warranty repair saying it was caused by leaves and debris in the undercarriage which caused a fire where the manifold reaches the exhaust then traveled into the under hood. This makes no sense to me. Please provide suggestions on how to handle this safety issue.
yes call me 251-478-5713 do you know who we need to call?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Mr. Casey, you a jeep owner? or just trolling forums looking for business.
Since he's responding to a 3 year old post, I'd say he's a lawyer chasing a vehicle that's loooong gone. Yeah, that's who I'd want to represent me.....

Reactions: zacwhite15

·
Registered
13 Posts
NEITHER, I AM DOING A BANKRUPTCY FOR A LADY WHO HAD HER 2016 JEEP CATCH FIRE AND THE INSURANCE COMPANY IS REFUSING TO PAY FOR IT. WHAT ABOUT YOU?
first off, no need to yell. second, i don't think you're going to find any pertinent information relating to said case in these forums.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts