Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was putting mud flaps on it , the front flaps went on fine . needed a stubby Philips for the rears and didn't have one so i decided to jack it up and take the wheel off ...... and then i discovered the crappiest lug design ever !!!!! who ever designed that lug cap piece of pooh and the people in corporate that approved it are on my pooh list ! called the jeep dealer we bought it from and they were honest and told me every day their mechanics are cussing about them , said all they can do is sell me new ones and that they charge $95 an hour to "extract" a stud that does what mine are doing if it isn't under warranty ! our 3 year warranty expired a few months ago .

talked to a certified mechanic buddy of mine and he confirmed the design is a POS . and he said that i cant use my impact on them . said to only use a hand lug wrench and that they still might mess up . i sure don't want this to happen on the side of a road/highway changing a tire !!!! so i want to change them on all the tires . he's 5 hours away so i need to do this myself .

sooooo ...... what is the exact size i need ? and what is a good brand/business to get them from ? our local car parts place don't have them in stock and aren't available for shipping . amazon has sets for $40 and up but i don't know which ones are good quality . we're in our 60's and aren't into rock crawling or monster mudding , but there are some fishing and hunting spots i go to that are a little rough and our snow/ice here in the mountain's can get the adrenaline going , but we do have "3-peak mountain snowflake" tires . i'd much rather not spend money on the absolute best , but i certainly don't want junk . but i absolutely want a solid head with no slipping/spinning/stuck in a socket head POS .

so what size do i need ? and what brands are safe to buy . if y'all can provide a link to what y'all use or recommend that would be awesome ! thanks folks , take care , Jeff

·
Registered
2017 renegade trailhawk 9 spd auto glacier metallic, preferred package 27E
532 Posts
was putting mud flaps on it , the front flaps went on fine . needed a stubby Philips for the rears and didn't have one so i decided to jack it up and take the wheel off ...... and then i discovered the crappiest lug design ever !!!!! who ever designed that lug cap piece of pooh and the people in corporate that approved it are on my pooh list ! called the jeep dealer we bought it from and they were honest and told me every day their mechanics are cussing about them , said all they can do is sell me new ones and that they charge $95 an hour to "extract" a stud that does what mine are doing if it isn't under warranty ! our 3 year warranty expired a few months ago .

talked to a certified mechanic buddy of mine and he confirmed the design is a POS . and he said that i cant use my impact on them . said to only use a hand lug wrench and that they still might mess up . i sure don't want this to happen on the side of a road/highway changing a tire !!!! so i want to change them on all the tires . he's 5 hours away so i need to do this myself .

sooooo ...... what is the exact size i need ? and what is a good brand/business to get them from ? our local car parts place don't have them in stock and aren't available for shipping . amazon has sets for $40 and up but i don't know which ones are good quality . we're in our 60's and aren't into rock crawling or monster mudding , but there are some fishing and hunting spots i go to that are a little rough and our snow/ice here in the mountain's can get the adrenaline going , but we do have "3-peak mountain snowflake" tires . i'd much rather not spend money on the absolute best , but i certainly don't want junk . but i absolutely want a solid head with no slipping/spinning/stuck in a socket head POS .

so what size do i need ? and what brands are safe to buy . if y'all can provide a link to what y'all use or recommend that would be awesome ! thanks folks , take care , Jeff
21mm 1/2" socket to remove lugs and buy 1/2 inch breaker bar home depot, hardware store etc.store in with spare tire. lug nuts from maddness autoworks, vendor on this site

·
Registered
532 Posts

21mm 1/2" socket to remove lugs and buy 1/2 inch breaker bar home depot, hardware store etc.store in with spare tire. lug nuts from maddness autoworks, vendor on this site

·
Registered
532 Posts
just got off the phone with jeremy at madness , he said they don't carry them anymore .
yea i just checked myself, interesting your lugs are 19mm must have changed after the 2017 trailhawk was built, mine are 21 mm

·
Registered
731 Posts
that lug cap piece of pooh
You mean the hex heads on the lug bolts? Did they strip on you?

yea i just checked myself, interesting your lugs are 19mm must have changed after the 2017 trailhawk was built, mine are 21 mm
Interesting indeed. I just checked my 2021 Trailhawk. The hex heads on the lug bolts on mine are 17mm...

A 21mm socket would fit into the round openings in the alloy wheels, but my existing bolts are definitely 17mm...

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
these are solid metal and dont have that stupid cap on them!
I'm still confused. You guys mean that domed top on the hex part of the lug bolt?

Now that you mention it, that might keep a socket from seating fully on the hex head.

On our two Mk5 VWs, the lug bolts are also 17mm; but they've got businesslike (and ugly) flat heads instead of decorative domes. No problem with a lug wrench or socket grabbing onto them. Then they're got decorative black plastic trim caps that fit over them...

Meantime, on the Renegades, I guess replacement bolts would be good. Failing that, make sure you torque them properly when installing...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm still confused. You guys mean that domed top on the hex part of the lug bolt?

Now that you mention it, that might keep a socket from seating fully on the hex head.

On our two Mk5 VWs, the lug bolts are also 17mm; but they've got businesslike (and ugly) flat heads instead of decorative domes. No problem with a lug wrench or socket grabbing onto them. Then they're got decorative black plastic trim caps that fit over them...

Meantime, on the Renegades, I guess replacement bolts would be good. Failing that, make sure you torque them properly when installing...
Yep, I strongly agree. Long term the only way to preserve this style nut is to initially gently start them on the stud, avoid an impact wrench then torque to spec by hand. 😎

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yep, I strongly agree. Long term the only way to preserve this style nut is to initially gently start them on the stud, avoid an impact wrench then torque to spec by hand. 😎
there is no preserving them. once corrosion gets under the cap, its over, they're junk. then its a combination of 2 different size sockets to get all the lug nuts off. they should be thrown away as soon as you buy a car with them on it. i wont even keep them as spares.

Reactions: JeffB1961

·
Registered
112 Posts
there is no preserving them. once corrosion gets under the cap, its over, they're junk. then its a combination of 2 different size sockets to get all the lug nuts off. they should be thrown away as soon as you buy a car with them on it. i wont even keep them as spares.
I agree once they have gotten to that point it's pretty much a lost cause. Going forward that advice is applicable to acorn style lug nuts. 😎

·
Registered
112 Posts
OK, so you guys are talking about the fact that they're chrome-plated? Or their domed shape?

Because there's no "cap" there that I can see. They're chromed...
My comment was made in general. I started this practice back in the 90's when I learned the Hard way the lug nuts on my new purchase were wait for it...... aluminum.
The dealership knows they are not to remove the wheels on my vehicle. I'll check the wear on my pads. Only Discount Tires rotate them when needed. Part of my personal profile is Don't even look at " The Old Fartts Vehicle if you holding an impact gun"! This philosophy will hardly work for anyone. But if I may paraphrase an expression I've often read on the Forum. " Your Vehicle, Your Rules" 😎

·
Registered
731 Posts
I just looked at the lug bolts in the link in Post #8 above. So "acorn bolts" doesn't refer to the domed shape of the heads; but to the tapered seats?

I think those are pretty common, if not universal -- aren't they? Probably to center the wheels better.

Is there any other choice with these wheels? jeff1 mentioned bolts from MADNESS Autoworks, but those are apparently no longer available. If those were 21mm, the advantage would be that they wouldn't strip so easily, yes?

·
Registered
73 Posts
OK, so you guys are talking about the fact that they're chrome-plated? Or their domed shape?

Because there's no "cap" there that I can see. They're chromed...
just be thankful that you have never had to experience the hell that is removing one of those f*****g capped lug nuts before then! here is a picture of the ones that were on my renegade. i peeled the cap off so you can see it. once the cap is off, the inner part is a smaller size then the chrome cap. thats why they dont recommend using an impact on them, because it smashes the cap and rounds off the corners under the cap. the first thing i bought for my renegade was replacements for these garbage lug nuts!

·
Registered
731 Posts
f*****g capped lug nuts
Oh, man!!! Now I see what you guys are talking about! I had no idea those were capped like that. I thought that was the actual steel bolt, and maybe chromed.

What the hell is that cap made of -- aluminum? Or is that just thin steel? What the hell -- just for looks??

So peeling these caps off permanently wouldn't work, since the resulting bolts would be even smaller than 17" (yes?) and would take even less torque if they'd been put on by a gorilla with an impact wrench.

Or are those caps at all easy to permanently remove?

You said you'd replaced yours. With the ones you linked to? 28mm Acorn Seat Lug Bolt 20pc Kit (Black) M12x1.25 | 17mm Hex | eBay

Are they any good? They're 17mm, so the OEM lug wrench would work... But I'm a bit skeptical of eBay...

Sorry about all the questions, but I had. No. Idea.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts